White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
This again?

I maintain that they adopted red to emulate the the successful teams of the NL that wore red, particularly the Reds. But I have no proof of that, just a guess. After all, the Red Sox and Tigers won the AL in 1967-68, and in 1969 the Sox trotted out with the same design of uniform. Coincidence? Don't think so. Likewise, the "Big Red Machine" tore up the NL in 1970. The next year, the Sox trot out red uniforms.
I also read that the SOX introduced the red home pinstripes and the powder blue road uniforms (with red trim) to take advantage of color televisions becoming more popular. It was about the same time TV shows were marketing "IN COLOR" underneath broadcast shows.

God I'm old...
Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
As I recall, the '90 team was the last to wear the curlicues. Coincidentally it was the first year of the minidynasty. The uniforms didn't even survive the season as they started wearing the black pinstripes in the 2nd half.
I thought MLB allowed the SOX to wear the new black pinstripe uniforms on the last home stand to close out old Comiskey Park. Did they wear them for the entire 2nd half of the season?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I thought MLB allowed the SOX to wear the new black pinstripe uniforms on the last home stand to close out old Comiskey Park. Did they wear them for the entire 2nd half of the season?
No, it was during the last home stand that they brought out the new uniforms. I am not sure if they wore the new road uniforms in 1990 though.

Go Sox!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
I could be remembering wrong. I feel like I remember seeing a decent number of games with the new unis that year.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I could be remembering wrong. I feel like I remember seeing a decent number of games with the new unis that year.
As I recall, the Sox wore a 1917 replica uniform sometime in mid-1990, if I am not mistaken to commemorate the anniversary of the first game at Old Comiskey. The look proved so popular that the Sox decided to wear their new 1991 uniforms during the last home series of the season.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
No, it was during the last home stand that they brought out the new uniforms. I am not sure if they wore the new road uniforms in 1990 though.
They wore the new black and silver unis for the closing weekend at Old Comiskey, and they also busted out the new road jerseys for the last road trip, including that last game of the season at Fenway when Brunansky made the famous phantom catch on Ozzie's line drive into the rightfield corner which won the division for the Red Sox. I believe the game was broadcast on ESPN.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Quote:
IIRC it was for just the last homestand of 1990.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
As I recall, the Sox wore a 1917 replica uniform sometime in mid-1990, if I am not mistaken to commemorate the anniversary of the first game at Old Comiskey. The look proved so popular that the Sox decided to wear their new 1991 uniforms during the last home series of the season.
Those two events weren't necessarily related really. The throwback unis were worn in July in a game against the Brewers as part of the first ever MLB turn-back-the-clock day when Black Jack blew a big lead after Psycho Lyons booted an easy groundball. I think Barry Jones imploded during that game too.

The new '91 uniforms were already approved by MLB at that point. They had just been introduced a week or two earlier (somewhere buried in a box, I've got a VHS tape with Torborg wearing the new road uniform with Paciorek interviewing him on Sox Weekly on Sportschannel).
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I also read that the SOX introduced the red home pinstripes and the powder blue road uniforms (with red trim) to take advantage of color televisions becoming more popular. It was about the same time TV shows were marketing "IN COLOR" underneath broadcast shows.

God I'm old...
That seems correct in the time frame. Coincidentally (or ironically), the uniform immediately prior to that had a lot of complaints due to black and white television, specifically the road uniform. I've read that the color combination on the road uniforms made it impossible to read the letters and numbers on the uniform (white letters with blue trim on the grey road jersey).

Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
As I recall, the '90 team was the last to wear the curlicues. Coincidentally it was the first year of the minidynasty. The uniforms didn't even survive the season as they started wearing the black pinstripes in the 2nd half.
The road uniforms actually had three versions that year. At some point in the middle of the season, the Sox put names on the back of the road jerseys. Didn't start out like that to begin the season though.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

[/QUOTE]

I love the front of those jerseys.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg83 View Post
I love the front of those jerseys.[/QUOTE]

I prefer the pale blue ones they wore in 1967. I also like the pale blue ones they wore in 1964, those uniforms were made for the benefit of the rise of color TV.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Time flies. I was at the September 6, 2003 against the Indians where they wore the '83 uniforms to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the division title. That was Esteban Loaiza's 19th win, and also the only time I've ever seen myself clearly on highlight on Sportscenter (on Jody Gerut's homerun that was hit near where I was sitting).

Holy cow I can't believe that'll be 10 years ago soon.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Location: Yes in Ranhco Sahuarita, AZ...(WAS near the home of White Sox spring training baseball)
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
IIRC it was for just the last homestand of 1990.

New uniforms debut on Sept. 26, 1990. (Have that gamed taped somewhere in archives)

My last Comiskey visit was the next night Sept 27th. Frank THomas, I believe hit his first Comiskey Park home run during that game and that may be his only one there....?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 PM
WSI Guru

Hit two home runs in the original Comiskey Park, September 27 & 28, 1990 vs. Milwaukee and Seattle.

Lip