White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
He was hired as president in February of 2008 but I thought Hawk started talking about the "no pitch count" thing starting in February and it was implemented mainly in the minors. I can't find an article about that though.

I also can't think of any Texas starters to get hurt since that program was instituted btw. But I didn't look it up and I don't pay that much attention to Texas.
Colby Lewis went down in July of last year and had Tommy John surgery; Neftali Feliz, in his return to the rotation ended up having Tommy John surgery in August; and Derek Holland missed a month w/shoulder fatigue. Matt Harrison is their only starter that pitched 200 innings.

As for McCarthy, I'd be okay bringing him back. His injury was horrible last year, but -- if there is a silver lining, career longevity wise -- at least it wasn't arm trouble.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Colby Lewis went down in July of last year and had Tommy John surgery; Neftali Feliz, in his return to the rotation ended up having Tommy John surgery in August; and Derek Holland missed a month w/shoulder fatigue. Matt Harrison is their only starter that pitched 200 innings.
Man, I REALLY don't pay attention to the Rangers!

Go Sox!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't KW trade him yrs ago because they noticed that a large percent of his fly outs in the outfield were dangerously close to being HR's?

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't KW trade him yrs ago because they noticed that a large percent of his fly outs in the outfield were dangerously close to being HR's?
Yeah, but he's since changed his mechanics and has learned to throw a 2-seam fastball, which gets him a crapton more groundballs.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Yeah, but he's since changed his mechanics and has learned to throw a 2-seam fastball, which gets him a crapton more groundballs.
Yeah, he essentially became the poster saber-metrics. There were a lot of stat geeks saying two years ago Brandon was the best pitcher in baseball.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Looks like he's signing with Arizona..

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...-mccarthy.html
Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

2 years at $15.5 seems high to me, but if he starts 50 games over those two years it'll be worth it.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

damn he signed for less than Gavin Floyd is making. Flipping Floyd and getting Mac at that price would have been great.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
damn he signed for less than Gavin Floyd is making. Flipping Floyd and getting Mac at that price would have been great.
Didn't anyone notice that McCarthy shoulder problems before the injury that ended his season? He had some problems early in the season that forced him to miss a few starts here and there. He went 10 days or more between starts three times before going on the disabled list with shoulder soreness in June. His August start in Chicago where he gave up home runs to Ramirez, Viciedo and Pierzynski after the A's jumped out to a 3-0 lead against Floyd (it was the game that Jordan Danks ended with a home run), was his first game for the A's in almost two months.

Signing McCarthy was a bit of a gamble. He would be far from a sure thing in any team's rotation.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 PM
WSI Guru

Was told today by a good source the reason the Sox and McCarthy never got together was because the Sox did not want to go longer than one year given his injury history.

Lip
Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg83 View Post
if he starts 50 games over those two years.
That would be a first.