White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
I agree its an aggressive move by the Royals but one they have had to make after many many years of treading water. This could be one of the most interesting trades of the last ten years. Lots of good prospects given up by KC. I think they will be more competitive next year and for the next few years..
They still have many prospects to choose from like Mondesi and Starling.

I still am not sure the rotation is good enough, but they'll be a stronger opponent.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 AM
WSI Guru

The Royals could send out the seven dwarfs to pitch and the Sox mental block issues against anyone wearing that jersey would come into play. (i.e. keep trying to bash 800 foot home runs and continue to try pulling off speed pitches on the outer half of the plate...)

Lip
Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

At least if the Sox lose to the Royals I won't be angry as much about it anymore.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Holy crap. ALC just got a lot tougher.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 AM
WSI Personality

Does this really change things between the Royals and the Sox? I mean, we can't even beat Bruce Chen.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:43 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
Eh, my money's on the Royals still sucking next year.
so what's this now 3 years in a row that the royals are the up and coming team?? something just ain't right in that organization....what it is i don't know
Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
You know, I commend the royals for just not wanting to suck anymore, but they paid a insanely high price. 2 solid SP but Wil Myers, that guy has MVP potential. This is a great haul for Tampa
The Royals farm system has been stocked with "MVP potential" talent for years and it hasn't produced an 80-win season since 2003.

I like this move a lot for Kansas City. Unfortunately.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's Detroit's division until they win a WS. The Royals picked a bad time to decide to get competitive.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
It's Detroit's division until they win a WS. The Royals picked a bad time to decide to get competitive.
The Tigers aren't very good and Kansas City doens't need to build an elite team to compete in this horse**** division. 85-90 wins is generally all you need. That figure's not entirely out of the equation for Kansas City now.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Royals farm system has been stocked with "MVP potential" talent for years and it hasn't produced an 80-win season since 2003.

I like this move a lot for Kansas City. Unfortunately.
I agree. The Royals have tried to add pitching in the past but always went for the wrong ones like Gil Meche or Jonathon Sanchez. This time, they added one really good one and one solid pitcher. Also, if Ervin Santana chooses next year to have one of his good seasons, then the Royals have a decent shot at competing in this division. I feel this trade likely has made the AL Central a 3 horse race. The only plus to this trade is that hopefully, this means KC will give Detroit more of a fight in 2013 so maybe things will even out a bit. We already know the Sox struggle against them regardless of who is on the bump.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

In the long term, this hollows out the Royals. They way overpaid, especially including Odorozzi in the deal.

Myers is an MVP-type talent. This could be an Erik bedard-like bungle for Moore, but he has to get to .500 soon.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
In the long term, this hollows out the Royals. They way overpaid, especially including Odorozzi in the deal.

Myers is an MVP-type talent. This could be an Erik bedard-like bungle for Moore, but he has to get to .500 soon.
I don't know. Bedard had shown to be quite fragile even during his good years with Baltimore. Shields has shown no such signs, and his velocity has actually gone up in recent years.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post

I am not sure they overpaid. Rumors floating in Boston a few weeks ago was Myers for Lester and most Boston media and fans were against it. The general consensus is you don't trade an established 1/2 starter for a prospect, even one as good as Meyers. Now going into next year Shields may not have been the # 2 guy in Tampa but he would be on most staffs.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The Royals could send out the seven dwarfs to pitch and the Sox mental block issues against anyone wearing that jersey would come into play. (i.e. keep trying to bash 800 foot home runs and continue to try pulling off speed pitches on the outer half of the plate...)

Lip
But now they will beat other teams, too.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
I don't know. Bedard had shown to be quite fragile even during his good years with Baltimore. Shields has shown no such signs, and his velocity has actually gone up in recent years.
If they extent Shields, it's possible the deal will be worth it for the Royals. If they only get 2 years of him in Kansas City, OTOH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I am not sure they overpaid. Rumors floating in Boston a few weeks ago was Myers for Lester and most Boston media and fans were against it. The general consensus is you don't trade an established 1/2 starter for a prospect, even one as good as Meyers. Now going into next year Shields may not have been the # 2 guy in Tampa but he would be on most staffs.
It's not just Myers (BA's minor league player of the year the season after Mike Trout won it), though, it's also two very good pitching prospects in Odorizzi and Montgomery.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.