White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Marqhead's Avatar
Marqhead Marqhead is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the Shadow of the Sears Tower
Posts: 8,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Greinke vs. Sanchez probs
Pretty sure you'd get it because you read Grantland. That's about an 8 million a year difference and people think Sanchez is way overpaid.
__________________


Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Oblong Oblong is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,196
Default

As an observer of his when he came to the Tigers I can tell you the comes across as a bulldog.

3 of his first 4 starts with the Tigers were bad. They skipped a start and he settled down. Lights out in the playoffs. I'm happy with it. I don't think it'll be a bad contract. in 5 years $16 million will be like $9 million today.
__________________
"You should enter a ballpark the way you enter a church." - Bill Lee
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:33 PM
mahagga73 mahagga73 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Downs, Il.
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
As an observer of his when he came to the Tigers I can tell you the comes across as a bulldog.

3 of his first 4 starts with the Tigers were bad. They skipped a start and he settled down. Lights out in the playoffs. I'm happy with it. I don't think it'll be a bad contract. in 5 years $16 million will be like $9 million today.
yeah, the Cubs know that too apparently.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Thome25 Thome25 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Elkton, Maryland
Posts: 4,145
Default

Who's Sanchez's agent?

This reeks of the patented Scott Boras "use another team as a bargaining chip" move.

The Cubs were obviously used to squeeze more money out of the Tigers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:15 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
Who's Sanchez's agent?

This reeks of the patented Scott Boras "use another team as a bargaining chip" move.

The Cubs were obviously used to squeeze more money out of the Tigers.
I think the Cubs really wanted him. He is represented by SFX by the way.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 PM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
They blew the deal for Dempster to Atlanta. They blew the deal with Los Angeles for Haren. Who the **** in their front office loves being "an anonymous source" so much that they can't keep their ****ing mouths shut?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
LOL.

The best part of this is watching Kaplan ejaculate all over himself on Twitter and then have to back-pedal.
I don't like the Tigers signing Sanchez but it is lightened a bit by Kaplan's tears and anger.
__________________

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 PM
canOcorn canOcorn is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
I don't like the Tigers signing Sanchez but it is lightened a bit by Kaplan's tears and anger.
I wish the Cubs would have signed him, but it's a massive overpay because he was arguably the 2nd best pitcher on the market. Ilitch doesn't give a damn how me he spends right now and Greinke set the market, even though that was a massive overpay. Floyd should be looking good to everyone else right now since he's only owed money 1 more year, didn't pitch in a monster ballpark (old park included) and in the NL.

I understand that owners are raking in the cash with the new revenue streams (and new TV deals), but $16M a year to Anibal freaking Sanchez is absurd.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canOcorn View Post
I wish the Cubs would have signed him, but it's a massive overpay because he was arguably the 2nd best pitcher on the market. Ilitch doesn't give a damn how me he spends right now and Greinke set the market, even though that was a massive overpay. Floyd should be looking good to everyone else right now since he's only owed money 1 more year, didn't pitch in a monster ballpark (old park included) and in the NL.

I understand that owners are raking in the cash with the new revenue streams (and new TV deals), but $16M a year to Anibal freaking Sanchez is absurd.
When Zack Greinke gets $25M/year, I don't think Sanchez at $16M per is that absurd. And perhaps neither of them are considering multibillion TV deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
As an observer of his when he came to the Tigers I can tell you the comes across as a bulldog.

3 of his first 4 starts with the Tigers were bad. They skipped a start and he settled down. Lights out in the playoffs. I'm happy with it. I don't think it'll be a bad contract. in 5 years $16 million will be like $9 million today.
He's a good pitcher and I like him... when he's healthy. He's been durable the last few seasons, but we'll see if he can hold that up for 5 seasons. Of that I remain skeptical. That's where the risk is here.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-15-2012, 04:06 PM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,333
Default

Well that was dirty of Sanchez to do that to the Cubbies.

Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
Contraire, they showed on TV that he has nearly the same splits as the overrated Zack Greinke. I think he is underrated personally.
Contraire what? Zach Greinke being overrated means Sanchez is a top of the rotation starter?

Also, Sanchez is overrated, not underrated. Ever since his hot start in his rookie year, baseball people have been talking about his potential ad nauseum. The truth is that since his rookie year he's been 38-48 w/an ERA of over 4.00. That, btw, translates to about 4.5 in the AL -- or if going by his last 3 year avg. about 4.25.

Greinke, btw, although overrated, is way better than Sanchez in every single aspect of pitching. Despite the fact that MLB Network ran that cute little peripheral 3 year stat comparison, without accounting for variables (stadiums, leagues, etc...) they mean close to nothing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-15-2012, 08:36 PM
mahagga73 mahagga73 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Downs, Il.
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Contraire what? Zach Greinke being overrated means Sanchez is a top of the rotation starter?

Also, Sanchez is overrated, not underrated. Ever since his hot start in his rookie year, baseball people have been talking about his potential ad nauseum. The truth is that since his rookie year he's been 38-48 w/an ERA of over 4.00. That, btw, translates to about 4.5 in the AL -- or if going by his last 3 year avg. about 4.25.

Greinke, btw, although overrated, is way better than Sanchez in every single aspect of pitching. Despite the fact that MLB Network ran that cute little peripheral 3 year stat comparison, without accounting for variables (stadiums, leagues, etc...) they mean close to nothing.
I never said he was top of the rotation, he is a major risk considering his injury history just like Hamilton is . I just think he is better than people think, and Greinke is not near as good as people think . Comparing contracts, Sanchez is not overpaid.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
As long as Ilitch is alive he'll spend whatever he needs to spend to win a World Series.

Lip
It's true the old man has money and wants to win. The perplexing thing is: The Tigers have no closer, yet they supposedly are not interested in Soriano. So if money is no object......? Weird. My guess is they'll be overpaying for a closer next July.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 PM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,661
Default

Sox fans love to say other teams' FA signings are for way too much money. Other big market teams find a way to spend this money without it seriously hamstringing them down the road. The Cubs might be a big exception to that - and maybe the Mets too.

Is $16M for Sanchez too much money? Who knows - teams are raking in more and more money and they're spending more and more money on players too. If the Sox want to be one of the big boys in the AL, they're going to have to keep up with the market. New York, Boston, Detroit, Texas, LAA - they're not shying away from big contracts and they're consistent playoff contenders.

If the Sox answer to this is to point to the $56M they threw at a 1-dimensional all or nothing slugger and say they don't want to get burned again, then they can just sit back and watch other teams pass them by and scratch their heads as to why fans won't support their team.

The other alternative to paying this kind of money on free agents is to develop enough talent from within to fill roster holes.....and we know the Sox have been woefully inadequate in that category for the last decade.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,312
Default

GoSox:

Those are valid points in my opinion.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:04 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Sox fans love to say other teams' FA signings are for way too much money. Other big market teams find a way to spend this money without it seriously hamstringing them down the road. The Cubs might be a big exception to that - and maybe the Mets too.

Is $16M for Sanchez too much money? Who knows - teams are raking in more and more money and they're spending more and more money on players too. If the Sox want to be one of the big boys in the AL, they're going to have to keep up with the market. New York, Boston, Detroit, Texas, LAA - they're not shying away from big contracts and they're consistent playoff contenders.

If the Sox answer to this is to point to the $56M they threw at a 1-dimensional all or nothing slugger and say they don't want to get burned again, then they can just sit back and watch other teams pass them by and scratch their heads as to why fans won't support their team.

The other alternative to paying this kind of money on free agents is to develop enough talent from within to fill roster holes.....and we know the Sox have been woefully inadequate in that category for the last decade.
The Sox paid quite a bit of money to retain Peavy, similar to the money Detroit paid to retain Sanchez. I don't see the two situations as being much different. Sanchez got more years, but that's because he's three or four years younger.

I don't think the Sox are a bunch of cheap asses. You can argue they don't spend their resources wisely, but they aren't acting like a small-market club either. There is plenty of high-priced talent on the roster.

I do agree the Sox have not done a good job of developing talent to fill roster holes from within. On the whole, I think the club has wasted too many financial resources on middle relievers through the years, but that has become a necessity because the farm system hasn't produced people to fill those roles.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 2-1; Total: 120-91.
Next game: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.