White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 03:31 PM
WSI Guru

Default 2014: First Year Since 1981...

If Konerko either decides to retire after this season, or if the Sox decide not to bring him back, who would the cornerstone/marquee/franchise player be on the Sox?

Would this possibly be the first time since 1981 that the Sox wouldn't have a franchise type player? In 1980, perhaps a young Harold Baines or Chet Lemon was that guy, but neither put up amazing numbers.

Things changed in '81 when the Sox signed Carlton Fisk. You could argue Fisk was the heart of the Sox until 1991 when Frank Thomas took over that role. Frank was in that position until 2004 when he got hurt and Konerko went on to put up 40+ homers. Konerko's been the face of the franchise since then.

Does Viciedo break out in 2013 to take over that role? Does Chris Sale become the face of the franchise (seems unlikely since pitchers seem to have shorter stints, with the exception being Buehrle)?
Old 12-16-2012, 04:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
If Konerko either decides to retire after this season, or if the Sox decide not to bring him back, who would the cornerstone/marquee/franchise player be on the Sox?

Would this possibly be the first time since 1981 that the Sox wouldn't have a franchise type player? In 1980, perhaps a young Harold Baines or Chet Lemon was that guy, but neither put up amazing numbers.

Things changed in '81 when the Sox signed Carlton Fisk. You could argue Fisk was the heart of the Sox until 1991 when Frank Thomas took over that role. Frank was in that position until 2004 when he got hurt and Konerko went on to put up 40+ homers. Konerko's been the face of the franchise since then.

Does Viciedo break out in 2013 to take over that role? Does Chris Sale become the face of the franchise (seems unlikely since pitchers seem to have shorter stints, with the exception being Buehrle)?
Right now I'd have to say Tank is the one. Lets hope he does break out this year with some kind of monster year.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:00 PM
WSI Personality

sigh, the plan was for it to be Beckham.

Too bad he's not a good hitter.

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 PM
WSI Regular

I hope Konerko is back!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Right now I'd have to say Tank is the one. Lets hope he does break out this year with some kind of monster year.
I really think we have seen what there is to see as far as he is concerned.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
To me, Viciedo looks a lot more like Lyle Mouton than a raw Frank Thomas.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Yes. I really don't see anyone stepping up to fill that role - especially the position players. Maybe Chris Sale - but it'll take a few years of consistently good numbers before he could even possibly be considered the next Mark Buehrle.

Unfortunately, that lack of star power might make it hard for the Sox to get more casual Chicago fans interested in them. Konerko and Buehrle (and AJ) are/were the kind of players that even my Mom (NOT a sports fan) knew who they were. There's nobody waiting in the wings to fill that role.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
How can you say that when he has only one full season under his belt?
He will be 24 on March 10th, and as he matures so will his patience at the plate. As one who sees the glass have full rather than half empty as far as the Sox go, I'm still thinking that Beckham is going to turn it around and hit over .300 with 20 HRs, 80 RBIs and wins a Gold Glove.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

It won't happen immediately upon Paulie's retirement, but Courtney Hawkins.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Franchise type player, or franchise type HITTER? I would argue that Sale is a franchise type player and so is Peavy when healthy.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
To me, Viciedo looks a lot more like Lyle Mouton than a raw Frank Thomas.
Tank is much better than Mouton so I don't see a comparison there. However, Tank has very little in common with Frank other than pure strength. Personally, I've always viewed Tank more as a Carlos Lee type of hitter and I think that is ultimately the type of player he will mature into. A solid power hitting corner outfielder but probably not a franchise guy. As Little Nell pointed out though, there is only one full year under his belt so we really don't know for sure what type of hitter the young Tank will mature into.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

If you live outside Chicago, the Sox already don't have a franchise player.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:47 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
If you live outside Chicago, the Sox already don't have a franchise player.
I agree, Konerko isnt looked as the face of the franchise outside of Chicago and Buehrle wasnt either. I know people dont want to hear this but ozwaldo was the face of the franchise outside of Chicago and if anyone is now I think its AJ over Konerko.

Last edited by Noneck; 12-18-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Why couldn't Chris Sale be that guy?
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Franchise type player, or franchise type HITTER? I would argue that Sale is a franchise type player and so is Peavy when healthy.
Peavy could be, but he didn't have his best years here (and probably won't ever top 2007). Sale, however, is young and could be the next Buehrle, in terms of being a face of the franchise and fan-favorite. Danks could also potentially become that guy. He already has some marquee moments under his belt (Blackout game) and he is definitely capable of pitching a no-hitter, more so than I ever would have guessed Mark Buehrle could have been, prior to 2007.