White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 PM
WSI Guru

Well two out of three isn't bad.

Lip
Old 12-22-2012, 07:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Or Ramon Castro!
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Castro back. He was as solid as you could expect a backup catcher to be for us.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 PM
WSI Personality

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...#disqus_thread

anyone see this? apparently the d-backs called and asked about alexei
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Lip
Peavy was one of the best free agent starters on the market. Keppinger may have been the best available fit for our holes on the field and in the lineup. And Wise is just a fourth OF on a team that doesn't rotate its starting OFs at DH, because we have two players who are only suited to play 1B and DH.

Overall I'd like to upgrade the team, but other than AJ, who would have filled two holes, there just isn't much on the free agent market that would be a major improvement over what we already have, considering the Sox self-imposed payroll limits. Hopefully the trade market will open up in the coming weeks.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Lip
This is where it would be wonderful if you were to use the quote function. I have no clue what you're replying to.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 12-22-2012, 09:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
This is where it would be wonderful if you were to use the quote function. I have no clue what you're replying to.
Correct.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 PM
WSI High Priest

There's only a few decent options in FA at starting pitcher and outfield remaining, and teams that still need to fill some spots.

I'd expect trade talk to heat up in the week after the holiday.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Ok, every day you don't see the other 29 teams signing someone. Not even close to every day. Also, the Sox have had signings in the offseason so far. Keppinger, Wise, and Peavy are free agent signings we've had.

Better call the teal police:

I think Rick Hahn should be fired. Instead of making moves to make die hard Sox fans happy, he isn't doing anything at all. I mean c'mon. Let's make moves just for the sake of making moves. Every other MLB team is turning over their rosters weekly. I think he needs to make moves, because it's clear that being 100 days away from opening day and 50+ adys away from spring training, time is running out.

Bob
Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post

I think Rick Hahn should be fired. Instead of making moves to make die hard Sox fans happy, he isn't doing anything at all. I mean c'mon. Let's make moves just for the sake of making moves. Every other MLB team is turning over their rosters weekly. I think he needs to make moves, because it's clear that being 100 days away from opening day and 50+ adys away from spring training, time is running out.

Bob
Are you planning on turning yourself in as well?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post

Bob
LOL!!

Agree we should be patient. If teams want a starter, I'm sure they'd pay a guy like Lohse a slight premium in FA than trade quality assets for Floyd.

Same thing with the outfielders - when guys like Jason Bay, Cody Ross and Nick Swisher are signing in FA, nobody's beating a path to our door to give us quality for DeAza and/or Viciedo.

Gotta wait until the FA pool dries up a bit more and teams get more desperate to bring in players via trade.

But I do agree that Hahn should be criticized if the Sox are standing pat with what we have now. There's no way to know if that's the case...
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

The Sox are between a rock and a hard place. They need quite a few pieces in order to compete, but losing the few pieces that have worth will probably hurt the club more than the help they will get in return. This is a organization with very little depth and players of very little worth. The only means that could have helped the club compete for the division this year was through free agency and they chose not to.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The Sox are between a rock and a hard place. They need quite a few pieces in order to compete, but losing the few pieces that have worth will probably hurt the club more than the help they will get in return. This is a organization with very little depth and players of very little worth. The only means that could have helped the club compete for the division this year was through free agency and they chose not to.
Well, the Sox upgraded at 3B through Free Agency at least. That was in my mind the most glaring need, and Hahn went out and solved the problem.

But yeah, I think that Hahn is hoping and praying for everything to go right (Father Time not catching to Konerko, Rios to repeat what he did last year, Dunn to return to his career BA, Flowers becoming a good power-hitting catcher, the backup catcher being serviceable, the relievers being consistently good, Beckham figuring out how to hit the ball consistently against everyone and not just the Cubs...etc., etc.), and that's not always a recipe for success...especially with this bunch.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 12-24-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:

But yeah, I think that Hahn is hoping and praying for everything to go right (Father Time not catching to Konerko, Rios to repeat what he did last year, Dunn to return to his career BA, Flowers becoming a good power-hitting catcher, the backup catcher being serviceable, the relievers being consistently good, Beckham figuring out how to hit the ball consistently against everyone and not just the Cubs...etc., etc.), and that's not always a recipe for success...especially with this bunch.

Since they didnt go deep into the FA market the guy really doesnt have much choice except to wish, hope and pray.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Since they didnt go deep into the FA market the guy really doesnt have much choice except to wish, hope and pray.
Exactly what I'm saying. :P

In Hahn's defense, the Catcher Free Agent market, IIRC, wasn't all that good save for Pierzynski and...Napoli, I guess? 3B market was worse. I'd venture to say that it was absolute garbage, even. I don't know what the 2B market was/is like, but I doubt that much of anyone would have been an upgrade over Beckham. I don't think that the outfield needs an upgrade, and the bullpen is ALWAYS a huge crapshoot.

I have no problems with the starting staff outside of Floyd, who I think should be traded for maybe some decent prospects or something. After all, the White Sox are going to need to upgrade at 1B soon...either that or let Konerko walk/retire and then have Dunn take over there and have a rotating DH...eh.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Exactly what I'm saying. :P

In Hahn's defense, the Catcher Free Agent market, IIRC, wasn't all that good save for Pierzynski and...Napoli, I guess? 3B market was worse. I'd venture to say that it was absolute garbage, even. I don't know what the 2B market was/is like, but I doubt that much of anyone would have been an upgrade over Beckham. I don't think that the outfield needs an upgrade, and the bullpen is ALWAYS a huge crapshoot.

I have no problems with the starting staff outside of Floyd, who I think should be traded for maybe some decent prospects or something. After all, the White Sox are going to need to upgrade at 1B soon...either that or let Konerko walk/retire and then have Dunn take over there and have a rotating DH...eh.
Im with you except for Floyd. Trading Floyd for prospects is basically hoisting the flag for this year. Wait till mid year for Floyd.

I just noticed , Hope you have a great celebration of your birth today DonnieDarko.

Last edited by Noneck; 12-24-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: just noticed
Closed Thread