White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
It isn't fair, but it is the reality due to the era he played in.
True, but I wish the story would get out. A quick google search brings up the team's stance back in 2003, but I doubt that many writers will bother doing research.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
True, but I wish the story would get out. A quick google search brings up the team's stance back in 2003, but I doubt that many writers will bother doing research.
Every writer on MLB Network was saying that Frank would get in on the first ballot. The only guy who said he wouldn't was Mitch Williams, as covered earlier in the thread. Writers tend to have a long memory and I think they will remember Frank's early stance against steroids.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
It isn't fair, but it is the reality due to the era he played in.
Or more accurately, the ignorance of Frank Thomas as a player, which is going to happen when people only look at numbers. He had these numbers, this is when he played so he is suspect. The numbers posted in the steroids era don't constitute Hall of Fame qualifications any more than Barry Bonds is beloved by fans as the all-time home run champ. And, sadly, players overshadowed by the performance-enhancers are forgotten.

Baseball writers are supposed to know better, but many of them don't even cover the games anymore. There was a columnist in Costra County, California (A's country, and, of course, the Oakland was ground zero for steroid use for a very long time) who wrote a column alleging that Frank Thomas was a 'roider. I think the whole diminished-sills thing was where he made his numbers-based argument. That was before Thomas signed with the A's.

I used to believe that Frank Thomas wouldn't get into the Hall of Fame n his first year of eligibility. Outside of Chicago and even among many White Sox fans, he was considered something of a whiner. He wasn't respected enough to win the MVP in 2000, which he deserved even before Jason Giambi's secret came out. And Thomas was considered a whiney DH to boot.

But I think Thomas is more respected now than when he finished his career, a bit later than he should have. At the end with Oakland, he didn't have much left. Fans do care about performance-enhancing drugs in baseball. They didn't when it was most prevalent, but that is because they really weren't aware of it. I think Thomas will stand out as the anti-'roider when he appears on the ballot. I think he will be appreciated for that and his accomplishments, what he meant for the game.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
But I think Thomas is more respected now than when he finished his career, a bit later than he should have. At the end with Oakland, he didn't have much left. Fans do care about performance-enhancing drugs in baseball. They didn't when it was most prevalent, but that is because they really weren't aware of it. I think Thomas will stand out as the anti-'roider when he appears on the ballot. I think he will be appreciated for that and his accomplishments, what he meant for the game.
In 2006 with the A's, Frank hit 39 HR and 114 RBI. 4th in MVP. Not bad at all!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskey2000 View Post

In 2006 with the A's, Frank hit 39 HR and 114 RBI. 4th in MVP. Not bad at all!
I think he's referring to his return to Oakland in '08.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I think he's referring to his return to Oakland in '08.
Indeed I was. Thomas' second stint with the A's at the end of his career was the end that I was referring to.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

If Frank doesn't make the HOF on the first ballot they should shut the ****er down.

I actually think he will be helped by the fact he was a clean player in a dirty era.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
If Frank doesn't make the HOF on the first ballot they should shut the ****er down.
I will burn with the fury of a thousand suns if Frank does not get inducted next year. Any writer who does not vote for him (or Maddux, for that matter) ought to have his/her eyeballs gouged with flaming pokers.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:

I actually think he will be helped by the fact he was a clean player in a dirty era.
Roberto Alomar didn't get in his first year, and he is considered one of the best second basemen to ever play the game. Not saying it would be right, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get in on the first ballot. HOF voting is a joke.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

What might be problematic is that many voters are morons when it comes to the sport and don't accept that the DH was put into place 40 years ago. I can see that hurting Frank, as well as next year's class being a very crowded.

Also, the HOF is already a joke. Phil Rizzuto is a HOFer.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Roberto Alomar didn't get in his first year, and he is considered one of the best second basemen to ever play the game. Not saying it would be right, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get in on the first ballot. HOF voting is a joke.
The spitting incident with the umpire probably hurt Alomar's chances of a first year election but you are right, the voting is a joke.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
What might be problematic is that many voters are morons when it comes to the sport and don't accept that the DH was put into place 40 years ago. I can see that hurting Frank, as well as next year's class being a very crowded.

Also, the HOF is already a joke. Phil Rizzuto is a HOFer.
I bet the local businesses are poed. The writers stupidity is going to cost them big this year.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

There's a year for Frank and his agent to wage a PR campaign. Most people don't know his history with testing.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Every writer on MLB Network was saying that Frank would get in on the first ballot. The only guy who said he wouldn't was Mitch Williams, as covered earlier in the thread. Writers tend to have a long memory and I think they will remember Frank's early stance against steroids.
I hope you're right because the man deserves to walk with the greats of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
There's a year for Frank and his agent to wage a PR campaign. Most people don't know his history with testing.
This is exactly what concerns me. This is a story worth repeating.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
That's a travesty. A serious argument can be made that Alomar was the best 2B to ever play the game.