White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
WSI Guru

Default Sale Says "NO"...

To the WBC.

Santiago leaning against it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3754866.story

Good. The Sox don't need the issues with their rotation. (or with anybody else for that matter on the roster...)

Lip
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
To the WBC.

Santiago leaning against it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3754866.story

Good. The Sox don't need the issues with their rotation. (or with anybody else for that matter on the roster...)

Lip
Agreed Lip. I cringe whenever an important Sox player participates in the WBC. I was not pleased to read that Jesse Crain will be pitching for team Canada. It is especially troubling when you consider that Crain struggled with health issues last season. I hope there aren't many more Sox players in it:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Good deal.

Can't believe that more players can't get how useless Bud's World Baseball Craptacular is, and how it can affect their overall health in the season to follow.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Good deal.

Can't believe that more players can't get how useless Bud's World Baseball Craptacular is, and how it can affect their overall health in the season to follow.
1) I like the WBC and wish more big leaguers would take it seriously, though considering Sale's case I'm fine that he's not participating.
2) Is there quantitative data to support this?

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I dont have a problem with position players playing in this but pitchers are a no no in my book.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

I wish they would move the WBC to after the season but that will never happen since they would be competing against the NFL.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Good deal.

So, do you know for a fact that it has not increased the interest in Baseball in other countries? That's the main purpose of the WBC, after all.

My only grips with it is how is messes up the MLB post season schedule with the World Series coming after the first snowfall in some cities.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
My only grips with it is how is messes up the MLB post season schedule with the World Series coming after the first snowfall in some cities.
They've fully integrated the WBC schedule to work with the MLB schedule now, haven't they? The MLB regular season ends on September 29 this year, which is about the same as normal.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Because throwing 70 pitches in a WBC game is different than throwing 70 in a ST game.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Because throwing 70 pitches in a WBC game is different than throwing 70 in a ST game.
I would say it is. The games have a lot more intensity than a lazy spring training game where guys sometimes only throw 1 or 2 types of pitches their whole outing. They might be working on command or location where as in these WBC games pitchers are actually trying to get outs as they would in a regular game.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Thank goodness.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
1) I like the WBC and wish more big leaguers would take it seriously, though considering Sale's case I'm fine that he's not participating.
2) Is there quantitative data to support this?
I too like the WBC. I like the idea of an international baseball competition. I haven't made up my mind yet whether I'll see any games in San Francisco, though.

At the same time, I have no problem with White Sox players not participating, not becuse I believe the competition will render them less effective, but becuase there is always a chance that something could go wrong. There's always that chance, whether it's baseball or tarp sliding or whatever. Pete Ward became a lesser player after riding in a car.

Really, I don't know that participating in the WBC puts players, especially pitchers at a greater risk of performing well in the season than playing deep into the previous postseason.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
So, do you know for a fact that it has not increased the interest in Baseball in other countries? That's the main purpose of the WBC, after all.
Riiight... And it has nothing to do with all the TV money and marketing and memorabilia sales that go along with it. The idea of Bud doing anything altruistic is pretty naive.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I too like the WBC. I like the idea of an international baseball competition. I haven't made up my mind yet whether I'll see any games in San Francisco, though.

At the same time, I have no problem with White Sox players not participating, not becuse I believe the competition will render them less effective, but becuase there is always a chance that something could go wrong. There's always that chance, whether it's baseball or tarp sliding or whatever. Pete Ward became a lesser player after riding in a car.

Really, I don't know that participating in the WBC puts players, especially pitchers at a greater risk of performing well in the season than playing deep into the previous postseason.
Ask Mike Sirotka about that. Dude did not get proper rest following 2000 season pitched winter ball and his arm (torn labrum) just about fell off, no more MLB career. Bet he like to have those 70 pitches back!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 PM
WSI Guru

Falstaff:

Mike actually hurt the arm originally the last week of the regular season (against Boston I think) then got the OK from team doctors to participate in the series in Japan where he hurt it again.

Lip