White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
Just got the 67 season for the APBA game ,I'm looking to right the wrong of the Sox not getting it done.
Do they still sell cards for APBA or is it all online now?

I have a few strat-o-matic seasons. I'm replaying 2005 Sox with as-played lineups. At my pace, it will probably take me 20 years to finish though.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I always wondered why they trotted Tommy McCraw out there to first base so much. This guy would have been a below average hitter at second base, surely they could have at least found a half way decent hitting first basemen. Was this guy Keith Hernandez times ten with the glove or what?

Seems like Ward, Agee, and Berry were all guys that were expected to hit, but they just didn't come through in '67 for whatever reasons. Colavito was brought in to help and flopped as well, but McCraw didn't seem like a guy even expected to be a decent hitter based on the fact he had already established that he wasn't much of a hitter by '67.
Pete Ward was the opening day first baseman but McCraw had an excellent glove. Stanky moved guys all around trying to find a lineup that could hit but to no avail, team BA was .225 but they led the AL in pitching with a .245 ERA. Kenny Boyer was also brought in to help the hitting as was Colovito but their best years were behind them and helped very little.
As I said in a previous post, I was with the Air Force in NY in 67 but saw 1 game while home on leave in May, typical Sox win as they beat the Orioles in extra innings with a seeing eye single by Hansen up the middle in the 11th inning 3-2.

One other note, in 67 and 68 especially in the American League, the hitting was horrible, in 1968 only one player batted .300, that was Yaz as he wound up winning the batting crown with a .301 average. The next year (1969) MLB lowered the height of the mound by 5 inches to help the hitters.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 01-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 AM
New At WSI

If you have interesting pictures from the 1967 Chicago White Sox baseball season and would enjoy sharing them on the 1967 blog site, you can send images to me along with your caption/story and maybe we can do a post in the blog and feature it.

The blog link is shown in my profile signature. Hope you enjoy it!

Go Sox!
Bob
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I always wondered why they trotted Tommy McCraw out there to first base so much. This guy would have been a below average hitter at second base, surely they could have at least found a half way decent hitting first basemen. Was this guy Keith Hernandez times ten with the glove or what?

Seems like Ward, Agee, and Berry were all guys that were expected to hit, but they just didn't come through in '67 for whatever reasons. Colavito was brought in to help and flopped as well, but McCraw didn't seem like a guy even expected to be a decent hitter based on the fact he had already established that he wasn't much of a hitter by '67.
Yeah my uncle's favorite player was Rocky Colavito, had pretty good stats, one of those near hall of famers they talk about like a Vada Pinson or Tommy John. My uncle might be the only kid in america that saved his original ceramic bobblehead collection and still has them in mint condition. He Had Mantle, Mays, the Braves, Sox,Colavito Indians, Whitey Ford on and on. Those things are worth a bit now.

Last edited by mahagga73; 01-06-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Do they still sell cards for APBA or is it all online now?

I have a few strat-o-matic seasons. I'm replaying 2005 Sox with as-played lineups. At my pace, it will probably take me 20 years to finish though.
you can get them on the bay or the website, 33 bucks a season usually, about the the same as Strat. I like both games, just in an APBA mood right now. Always loved baseball stats and history. The computer stuff is so impersonal to me but you can get them for your PC , baseball seasons that is.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I actually liked the 64 team more than the 59 pennant winner. What piching depth they had. Unfortunately they lost to the Yankees the first 10 times they played them and that sealed their fate. I hate to say it but the Sox seemed to usually get the lump in the throat when it was time to go up against the Yanks. In a 4 game series in old Comiskey Aug 17-20 the Sox got a measure of revenge and swept the Yanks 4 straight. They were 1/2 game ahead of the Orioles and 4 1/2 in front of the Yanks, who of course righted the ship and went on a September charge. That year was just tough to swallow because the Sox were good enough to make in interesting in the WS. I guess Bob Gibson was fated to begin creating his legendary status against NY.

The 67 team was a mirage to me. I enjoyed the run they had, but never believed they had what it took to go the distance. I thought the Red Sox, Tigers and Twins all had better clubs. It was still a crushing disappointment when they had it in their grasp late but then dropped 5 straight to the 2 AL bottom feeders. I'm looking forward to this blog.
sounds like the 2012 season to me. We all hoped they were that good, but knew sooner or later they would probably regress.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM
New At WSI

I just uploaded a few game action images of White Sox Joel Horlen pitching during an April 22, 1967 game and of nice action shot of John Buzhardt.

Check 'em out if you have a moment.....

Go Sox!
Bob
Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 AM
New At WSI

On April 30, 1967 the Sox began a scintillating 10 game winning streak. Watch for new uploads on winning streak recaps and images.

Go Sox!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

The amazing thing about the 1967 Sox was that they got as far as they did. Even in the offensively challenged American League back then, the White Sox offense was pathetic. In a way, it was not suprising they blew it in those final games against Kansas City and Washington. Weaknesses eventually cathces up with every team. But the '67 team almost pulled it off, and they did great just be in the hunt during the last week of the season.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM
New At WSI

Just uploaded a brief game summary of White Sox Jim O'Toole's May 13, 1967 masterful 10 inning 2 hit shutout ...

Included are images of his 1967 game worn jersey. For nostalgic fans, you may want to check it out.

Enjoy!

Go Sox!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM
WSI High Priest

I have a copy of the 1967 yearbook. The Sox put out some strange yearbooks in the mid 60s, they were in pocketbook form. I think for a spell they did not even issue yearbooks, just the yearly press guide.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:59 AM
New At WSI

A recent image uploaded to the blog features Joel Horlen on a rare complete Wheaties Cereal box.

Check it out, the entry includes a comparison to Horlen's stats vs Seattle Mariners Fellix Hernandez' stats and ponders what Joel Horlen may have made in the contemporary marketplace....

just click on the link provided in my profile....

Go Sox !
Old 02-10-2013, 01:45 PM
WSI Personality

Default 1967 White Sox

If the 1967 White Sox had the hitting of the 2012 White Sox, they would of clinched the pennant by Labor Day.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
WSI High Priest

67, The year Stanky was accused of freezing the baseballs to keep the scores low and his comment on Yaz, " an all star from the neck down".
Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
If the 1967 White Sox had the hitting of the 2012 White Sox, they would of clinched the pennant by Labor Day.
If they had the hitting of the worst Sox team ever (1970) they would have clinched by Labor Day.
Closed Thread