White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yeah. Everything that could possible go wrong for the Tigers did last year and they still won the division. They've addressed two of their holes with star players, and are benefiting now from a full year of Sanchez in the rotation, which 1-5 is probably the best in the AL. And people think their over under is the underachieving number that a much worse Tiger team put up last year? If the Tigers win only 89 games, it's because you're looking at the standings in August. The Tigers are far and away the best team in the American League now, probably the best team in baseball. I know how this board seems to hate pundits, but there isn't a ranking or listing out there that doesn't say the exact same thing. Most have the Tigers winning 100+ games.

edit: Do not take this to mean I think we should not compete this season. I don't think there's any chance we win the division, true, but there are two wild cards. And we're not prospect heavy; we need to be trying to win now. It's probably our current core's last chance at it. We're probably not as good as last year (I don't share the optimism that Danks coming back from the type of injury he is will be better this soon), and we're a few pieces away from being good enough. Like I said, Michael Bourne would solve a lot of issues for us. Marquee leadoff, great defensive OF, and gives us a great LF platoon of Viciedo (who can hit lefties) and De Aza. Solves leadoff, makes defense better, makes bench stronger, makes Viciedo's black hole at bats against righties go away. And really, the team is lacking in marquee talent compared to other teams. We need something like this.
I must have missed the news of Miguel Cabrera's relapse last season.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't know where to begin.

Verlander is not breaking down. He's not shown any signs of that, and is never injured. I don't know where that's coming from. That's like looking at Roger Clemens or Randy Johnson at age 28 and saying "boy they throw hard, bet they're out of the league in a few years".

Do you know who led the AL in strikeouts last year? Verlander of course, being his normal self. Know who was just barely second? Max Scherzer. And he did it in fewer innings. In fact, Scherzer had a better second half of the season than Verlander did, and was the obvious ace of that rotation. And no, Verlander didn't have a down second half. Scherzer's that good, and is an ace on probably 20 other teams in the league.

Do you know what Doug Fister's ERA was the last two seasons? 2.83 and 3.45. Not a misprint. Other than Sale, we don't have a starter that can claim something like that. He's an ace or a 2 on most staffs. He's a 3 or 4 for the Tigers.

Ah yes, and Annibal Sanchez. Who many claim isn't as good as Gavin Floyd. Despite the fact that in a decade in the league, he's always had an ERA in the 3's.

Not that special. Right....
We don't have a starter, including Sale, that can claim to pitch half their games in Comerica Park, which is why citing ERA to compare the two rotations is ridiculous.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
We don't have a starter, including Sale, that can claim to pitch half their games in Comerica Park, which is why citing ERA to compare the two rotations is ridiculous.
Oh dear lord, I'm so sick of people feeling like there's a entire run difference based on park or league. It's not that extreme, and Comerica didn't stop the Tigers from being better on offense at home than on the road.

Fister's last two road ERA's: 3.80 and 3.36. Show me the White Sox pitcher other than Sale who did that even at home the last two seasons?

The guy is a clear ace, and clearly better than what we've got.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Or people can just ****ing disagree with your assessments. Jesus Christ.
If someone is happy with what we're putting on the field, absolutely not. It's not like the White Sox are disinterested in what the fans have to say. And if people are okay with the **** storm that's going to prevail the next few seasons, the White Sox are going to do nothing. That affects me.

The time to act is now. If this team doesn't start adding core players, it'll be too late. We'll be Astros bad. And core players don't sign with teams that are Astros bad.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I must have missed the news of Miguel Cabrera's relapse last season.
Cabrera or Fielder having down years is not a reasonable expectation by any means. They're probably the best right and left handed hitters of their generation.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Oh dear lord, I'm so sick of people feeling like there's a entire run difference based on park or league. It's not that extreme, and Comerica didn't stop the Tigers from being better on offense at home than on the road.

Fister's last two road ERA's: 3.80 and 3.36. Show me the White Sox pitcher other than Sale who did that even at home the last two seasons?

The guy is a clear ace, and clearly better than what we've got.
Peavy pitched 50 more innings than Fister last year and had a lower ERA. He was injured the year before, but appears to be healthy and did win the Cy Young once, so if Fister is an ace, you would have to call Jake one, but of course the Tigers are the greatest team ever assembled. It's pretty amazing that adding a 38 year old Torii Hunter and getting Victor Martinez back while having a rookie who can only get a fastball over the plate as a closer should increase their win total by at least 17.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Peavy pitched 50 more innings than Fister last year and had a lower ERA. He was injured the year before, but appears to be healthy and did win the Cy Young once, so if Fister is an ace, you would have to call Jake one, but of course the Tigers are the greatest team ever assembled.
You are honestly saying Peavy isn't a huge question mark compared to Fister? Come on man, take the blinders off. Peavy's been hurt on and off every year he's been hear except last year. Even if Peavy's still an ace (debatable), he's not nearly has valuable as the Tigers front four, who are either just as good or better, and certainly way more durable.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Cabrera or Fielder having down years is not a reasonable expectation by any means. They're probably the best right and left handed hitters of their generation.
They have no weaknesses. The season is over. You should spend your time doing something else. Posting your genius on a message board probably won't get the Sox to act. Maybe you can get an interview with JR and finally bring us the team we all want and deserve.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
They have no weaknesses. The season is over. You should spend your time doing something else. Posting your genius on a message board probably won't get the Sox to act. Maybe you can get an interview with JR and finally bring us the team we all want and deserve.
Have some more Kool-Aid!

Sorry for wanting the Sox to field a competitive team. Right now, they are not.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You are honestly saying Peavy isn't a huge question mark compared to Fister? Come on man, take the blinders off. Peavy's been hurt on and off every year he's been hear except last year. Even if Peavy's still an ace (debatable), he's not nearly has valuable as the Tigers front four, who are either just as good or better, and certainly way more durable.
You would hate to not ignore Fister going down a couple of times last year. Its only relevant when a White Sox player gets hurt. Danks will be nowhere near what he was before he was hurt, but because he's a Tiger, Victor Martinez will be better than ever. The bottom line is if the Tigers are as unbeatable as you say, it really doesn't matter what the Sox do, so you really shouldn't complain. Its like being of fan of an NBA team not the Bulls when MJ started winning championships, never mind the Tigers haven't won one for a while. Seriously, you must be trolling.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Have some more Kool-Aid!

You probably said the same thing last year. If the Tigers are really as great as you say, being competitive is out of the question anyway.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Have some more Kool-Aid!

You know nothing of the sort.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:50 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't know why this shocks people, The Tigers have a great team. They have a deep rotation which above average 2, 3 and 4 SP. The White Sox also are above average at the 2-3-4 spots. The Sox have a good bullpen, the Tigers do not. The Tigers have a great lineup, the Sox do not. The Tigers have an average defense, the White Sox are above average in most of the key spots.

The Tigers are built, if they perform, to win 100 or more games. The White Sox are built to win 85 and hope things go right.

As we found out last year, sometimes that works and sometimes it does not. Still have to play the year out.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
If someone is happy with what we're putting on the field, absolutely not. It's not like the White Sox are disinterested in what the fans have to say. And if people are okay with the **** storm that's going to prevail the next few seasons, the White Sox are going to do nothing. That affects me.

The time to act is now. If this team doesn't start adding core players, it'll be too late. We'll be Astros bad. And core players don't sign with teams that are Astros bad.

Ah, the hyper-extremism. Welcome back to the fray, munch.

I've been reading on these boards (and been party to some of it), people complaining that the Sox were about to drive off a talent cliff and head to 100-loss abyss. Maybe that will happen. Maybe it will not. But I do know they will have $33 million in payroll coming off the books following 2013 and potentially another $42 million coming off after 2014. That's a lot of payroll flexibility for a guy who was a consensus top GM prospect to work with to start his tenure. So I'm not going to worry too hard about things.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
You would hate to not ignore Fister going down a couple of times last year. Its only relevant when a White Sox player gets hurt. Danks will be nowhere near what he was before he was hurt, but because he's a Tiger, Victor Martinez will be better than ever. The bottom line is if the Tigers are as unbeatable as you say, it really doesn't matter what the Sox do, so you really shouldn't complain. Its like being of fan of an NBA team not the Bulls when MJ started winning championships, never mind the Tigers haven't won one for a while. Seriously, you must be trolling.
HAHA...for minor injuries that he came back from immediately. Yeah, that's the same thing as the injuries Peavy suffered.

Victor Martinez has had more than a year to recover from an injury that hitter's recover from with no trouble. Danks has been hurt for less time, has had several setbacks in his recovery, is not even pitching yet, and is recovering from something that generally takes a few years to completely recover from for pitchers.

I'm not the one trolling.
Closed Thread