White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
You are "waiting and seeing" on something that has next to zero chance of happening. And I'm the one who's bat-**** crazy?
And what have I said is going to happen? Please, tell me. I mean, I could be wrong, but I do believe I said I would reserve judgement until games were played. I'm not the one dealing in absolutes. That's you.

And I didn't say you we're bat-**** crazy. That would be a personal attack. I said your approach was. Big difference.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 01-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
And what have I said is going to happen? Please, tell me. I mean, I could be wrong, but I do believe I said I would reserve judgement until games were played. I'm not the one dealing in absolutes. That's you.

And I didn't say you we're bat-**** crazy. That would be a personal attack. I said your approach was. Big difference.
So what, your opinion is to not have an opinion, but having an opinion is bat-**** crazy?

Yeah, that's a lot better.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
So what, your opinion is to not have an opinion, but having an opinion is bat-**** crazy?

Yeah, that's a lot better.
Again, you've misread what I said. I said your approach was bat-**** crazy. Your approach is to pre-judge the team with absolutes. Mine is to reserve judgment until games are played. Again...big difference. Big. Huge!

Still waiting on how, if everything goes right, this team doesn't win 85 games, and your definition of everything going right.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
next to zero chance of happening. will be very very very bad.
Those are the types of statements that cause nobody to take you seriously. And the reason that the stuff you say comes back and bites you in the ass.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
next to zero chance of happening

very very very bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Those are the types of statements that cause nobody to take you seriously. And the reason that the stuff you say comes back and bites you in the ass.

Ahem...
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Again, you've misread what I said. I said your approach was bat-**** crazy. Your approach is to pre-judge the team with absolutes. Mine is to reserve judgment until games are played. Again...big difference. Big. Huge!

Still waiting on how, if everything goes right, this team doesn't win 85 games, and your definition of everything going right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post

There's a difference between zero chance and next to zero. It's not just semantics. There is a possibility this team could compete. There is a possibility the Tigers lose three starters to injury and Cabrera gets hit by a Guinness truck on his way to work.

It's just not that likely. Acting like it is perpetuates the problem. Blind faith is a really bad thing, because it doesn't force action. Ask the fellas up north what that's gotten them. I like that our fanbase won't come out and support crap when we're having a crappy season. I just wish we'd hold the team more accountable now, when there's much more to do about it.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
There's a difference between zero chance and next to zero. It's not just semantics. There is a possibility this team could compete. There is a possibility the Tigers lose three starters to injury and Cabrera gets hit by a Guinness truck on his way to work.

It's just not that likely. Acting like it is perpetuates the problem. Blind faith is a really bad thing, because it doesn't force action. Ask the fellas up north what that's gotten them. I like that our fanbase won't come out and support crap when we're having a crappy season. I just wish we'd hold the team more accountable now, when there's much more to do about it.
You still haven't answered the question...

Also, the Sox were in first place most of the season, and fans didn't come out to support the team, so...

And no, we are NOT turning this into an attendance thread...
Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
Viciedo's issues are all about approach, as you said. His approach is attrocious so any improvement would make his stats improve. The kid is only 23 though with one full season under his belt. In that season, Dayan hit 25 home runs and hit the ball to all fields. 25 home runs is a distinction only 39 hitters held. Power is not as easily had as it once was in this post steroid era. Give Viciedo time to develop discipline and watch that vicious, powerful swing produce.
As Viciedo had 1299 AB in the minors and 711 with the Sox over three seasons, there is a real chance that development won't happen, at least to the level some of us expect.

I'm not happy with an everyday player hitting sub .260 and striking out 125 times if all he's giving us on the plus side is home runs. That goes double for an expensive veteran like Dunn.

If we had a core group of solid players on the club, we could live with an inconsistent, streaky Viciedo in LF, yet it sounds like either the Sox and/or Sox fans are banking on him to be the primary slugger of the future.

Considering some of his comparables by age are Albert Belle (age 22) and Matt Nokes (age 23) it seems wishful that we could end up with another Albert Belle, but it's more likely we're getting Nokes. Or as I like to use, another Jack Cust or Willy Mo Pena.

As a fan, though, I'm willing to be patient, if the kid shows improvement this year, I'm back on the bandwagon, but if we get the same results as last year, at some time we have to cut bait.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Blind faith is a really bad thing, because it doesn't force action.

Pssst!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I'm not happy with an everyday player hitting sub .260 and striking out 125 times if all he's giving us on the plus side is home runs. That goes double for an expensive veteran like Dunn.
Dunn hitting .260 and only striking out 125 times would be a HUGE improvement.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
You still haven't answered the question...
Because "everything going right" means Beckham still posts an OPS+ of about 60. It doesn't mean he hits .300 with 30 bombs. That's ridiculously far-fetched, especially with drug testing.

Everything going right involves Dayan hitting 40 homers but he'll still hit .210 with a .220 OBP.

Everything going right is Danks pitching 200 innings but still having double digit losses because the team can't score.

There isn't a scenario with the current players where we score enough to compete. Not in this division. 18 games against the Tigers? 18 games against the Royals (who shellacked us last year WITHOUT their rebuilt rotation of sox killers). No. This team is probably topping out around .500. 85 is extremely lucky. And how that gets us in the playoffs now anyway is also not very likely. There's some really good teams in the AL, and a lot of talent disparity from the haves and the have-nots in the other divisions. Look at the AL West. Houston and Seattle in the same divisions as LA, Oakland, and Texas?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
You are "waiting and seeing" on something that has next to zero chance of happening. And I'm the one who's bat-**** crazy? The team looks bad on paper. It's because there's a lot of crappy ball players in key spots. That needs to be addressed, or there's a better than average chance we will be very very very bad.
“Without faith, hope and trust, there is no promise for the future, and without a promising future, life has no direction, no meaning and no justification.” Adam Sinclair

It's only January. You don't have to have "blind faith" but part of the beauty of baseball is the hope and mystery of it all.

Looking forward to Spring Training. Go Sox!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Spawn, the blandman slayer.

We all know bland is going to keep his shtick up, so it's pointless to argue with him. I'll just keep my expectations at a medium, and hope for the best. Who saw the Giants winning the Series this year?

It's baseball. Anything can happen.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Dunn hitting .260 and only striking out 125 times would be a HUGE improvement.
It would be a miracle.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
“Without faith, hope and trust, there is no promise for the future, and without a promising future, life has no direction, no meaning and no justification.” Adam Sinclair

It's only January. You don't have to have "blind faith" but part of the beauty of baseball is the hope and mystery of it all.

Looking forward to Spring Training. Go Sox!
Tell that to Astros fans. Think they're looking forward to this season?