White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 03:47 PM
WSI Regular

Default 2013 Chicago White Sox Pitching Staff

1. Peavy ---3.37ERA
2. Sale ---3.05ERA
3. Floyd ---4.29ERA
4. Danks ---4.12(career)
5. Qunitana ---3.76ERA

CL-Reed ---4.75ERA
SU-Crain ---2.44ERA
SU-Thornton ---3.46ERA
MR-Lindstrom ---2.61ERA
MR-Veal ---1.38ERA
MR-Jones ---2.39ERA
LR/MR- Santiago ---3.33ERA

Barring some injuries or trades, or disastrous spring training outings (which really don't matter) We have our 2013 Pitchers set. Even if Peavy, Sale, and Quintana come back to reality a little we still have 5 starters with sub 4 era potential this year. Our Bullpen has some skewed ERAs (Thornton/Reed).

Should be a well pitched season on the Southside this year.

Realistically, only openings are 1-2 Bench spots
Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 AM
WSI High Priest

It has to be the strength of the club,again this year. It definitely looks good on paper. If the offense produces at all, they should be in the hunt again,unless the Tigers run away with it.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
1. Peavy ---3.37ERA
2. Sale ---3.05ERA
3. Floyd ---4.29ERA
4. Danks ---4.12(career)
5. Qunitana ---3.76ERA

CL-Reed ---4.75ERA
SU-Crain ---2.44ERA
SU-Thornton ---3.46ERA
MR-Lindstrom ---2.61ERA
MR-Veal ---1.38ERA
MR-Jones ---2.39ERA

Barring some injuries or trades, or disastrous spring training outings (which really don't matter) We have our 2013 Pitchers set. Even if Peavy, Sale, and Quintana come back to reality a little we still have 5 starters with sub 4 era potential this year. Our Bullpen has some skewed ERAs (Thornton/Reed).

It's a decent staff, and an even better pen. The problem is injury concerns for 4 of our starters. Santiago helps a bit, but we've got nothing in the pipe after that. Depth of pitching could really come and bite us in the ass. All of our pitching "talent" close to ready in the minors are hard throwing short inning relievers.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
1. Peavy ---3.37ERA
2. Sale ---3.05ERA
3. Floyd ---4.29ERA
4. Danks ---4.12(career)
5. Qunitana ---3.76ERA

CL-Reed ---4.75ERA
SU-Crain ---2.44ERA
SU-Thornton ---3.46ERA
MR-Lindstrom ---2.61ERA
MR-Veal ---1.38ERA
MR-Jones ---2.39ERA

Skewed as in bad?

Reed was not good last year.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Skewed as in bad?

That's a little overly critical. He was bad as a closer, but his numbers are hurt by some particularly bad outings. He had some really good stretches, and he's certainly got the talent to succeed in any pen role.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
It's a decent staff, and an even better pen. The problem is injury concerns for 4 of our starters. Santiago helps a bit, but we've got nothing in the pipe after that. Depth of pitching could really come and bite us in the ass. All of our pitching "talent" close to ready in the minors are hard throwing short inning relievers.
Depth of pitching is an issue for almost every team, though. I can't think of too many organizations that can withstand losing any of their top 4 expected starters for too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
As a closer he was all right. 29 of 33 saves in one's rookie year is nothing to scoff at. And at very least, the bullpen is pretty deep even into the AAA level, so if Reed falls apart there are more then enough options to relieve him.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Depth of pitching is an issue for almost every team, though. I can't think of too many organizations that can withstand losing any of their top 4 expected starters for too long.
Of course, but the point I'm trying to make is that we've go four guys who are likely to spend time on the DL and have spent lots of time on the DL the last few years (the exception being Sale, but honestly I feel he's the most likely to be injured).
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
WSI Regular

29 of 33 is not a bad year. No one really judges closer by ERA anyway.

Plus I think this year Reed will start to bury his slider upping his K% Resulting in, most likely a lower BABip
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
29 of 33 is not a bad year. No one really judges closer by ERA anyway.

Plus I think this year Reed will start to bury his slider upping his K% Resulting in, most likely a lower BABip
Saves are kind of a useless stat so I wouldn't worry too much about it any way, just pointing out that by and large, Reed was pretty good last year with small lapses in performance (but he was a rookie, so you know, it's OK).

His problems seem to be more mental than mechanical. Article in the Trib today said that when he fell behind 1-0 in the count last year, he had like a .334 BAA. Obviously that's what he's got to work on. But again, I am confident there are enough contigency arms in this bullpen that it's not a concern for me going into this season. My biggest fear is that the Sox offense won't give him enough opportunities to rack up the saves.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Banned

Just got off the phone with John Danks.

I asked him how healthy he is and it sounds like all is going well. He said he started throwing off the mound a couple of weeks ago he feels good, no tightness. John went on say that he's going to start spinning breaking balls soon and should be ready to go for opening day!

I mean that is coming straight from the source but it sounds good. Hopefully we get John back to form and healthy.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Of course, but the point I'm trying to make is that we've go four guys who are likely to spend time on the DL and have spent lots of time on the DL the last few years (the exception being Sale, but honestly I feel he's the most likely to be injured).
Why? He has never been seriously injured.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post

"Inverted W!!"
Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Last year, Reed was fantastic in getting the first two guys out, then had trouble getting the last out. If he polishes his changeup and features that more often, he can be more effective. He also learned some things about setting hitters up and putting them away.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Okay, let's assume he doesn't have the worst form in baseball and the frailest possible frame of every pitcher in baseball. Or that on multiple occasions he had to be taken out of the rotation and rest because his body couldn't hold up (maybe it was some other reason, like his birthday twice last year).

Can we please not say incredibly not useful things like "why" to things that have been repeated over and over and over by every damn scout, tv personality, expert, general manager, people who watch baseball like religion, and even people who just know what baseball is but have never seen it? You know what they call people who don't think Sale is going to seriously hurt himself? White Sox fans. We're it. So while of course you don't assume Sale is 100% going to get hurt, can we PLEASE at least acknowledge that every other ****ing person on the planet thinks he's going to, and has a laundry list of reasons why? Ignoring it doesn't make it not so.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Okay, let's assume he doesn't have the worst form in baseball and the frailest possible frame of every pitcher in baseball. Or that on multiple occasions he had to be taken out of the rotation and rest because his body couldn't hold up (maybe it was some other reason, like his birthday twice last year).

Can we please not say incredibly not useful things like "why" to things that have been repeated over and over and over by every damn scout, tv personality, expert, general manager, people who watch baseball like religion, and even people who just know what baseball is but have never seen it? You know what they call people who don't think Sale is going to seriously hurt himself? White Sox fans. We're it. So while of course you don't assume Sale is 100% going to get hurt, can we PLEASE at least acknowledge that every other ****ing person on the planet thinks he's going to, and has a laundry list of reasons why? Ignoring it doesn't make it not so.
None of this is true. And giving a first time starter rest for a start here and there is very commonplace. As usual, you are overstating things to a comical degree.