White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I ignore the minor leagues. The games aren't televised and even if they were, I would be too busy to watch enough of them to form an opinion. I don't rely on stat lines to tell who is good and who isn't, that is only part of the picture.
That's the kind of attitude that can get you a job with the White Sox front office.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
That's the kind of attitude that can get you a job with the White Sox front office.
Hey-oh!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
No, you can speculate and talk all you want. I just don't have the time or inclination to study minor league players who have, at best, a 3% chance of playing in The Show. That's all.
That's fine - neither do I - but there are people who get paid to do that, and some are writers who analyze and report on it.

Methinks some folks (not necessarily you, Dump) would have much less of an issue with the entire analysis of minor league systems if the Sox were, say 3rd instead of near the bottom.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
That's fine - neither do I - but there are people who get paid to do that, and some are writers who analyze and report on it.
That's fine. There are also people who report and analyze celebrity gossip. I don't begrudge them, either. I was only responding to Doub's miscomprehension of my earlier post.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
No, you can speculate and talk all you want. I just don't have the time or inclination to study minor league players who have, at best, a 3% chance of playing in The Show. That's all.

The overall success rate of minor league players is indeed spectacularly low, but top ranked guys have a much, much, much higher chance to play in the Major Leagues.

Again, you're certainly spending a lot of time yakking about something you claim to not care about.

Quote:
That's fine. There are also people who report and analyze celebrity gossip. I don't begrudge them, either. I was only responding to Doub's miscomprehension of my earlier post.
And I am still dyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyying to hear what sort of connection you think there is between the complete state of a team's minor league system and their likelihood of success in 2013....

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay

Last edited by doublem23; 01-29-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
WSI Guru

Until the Sox start spending the amount of money need to really get good talent as well as develop it, they are going to be behind the eight ball. According to the numbers that Gonzo had in the Tribune, they spent the least amount of money in baseball over the last five years on the minor league talent.

Like my late father used to say, "you get what you pay for..."

This may change with Hahn in charge, he might take a more balanced appraoch to the entire major/minor league operation. We'll see.

Lip
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Until the Sox start spending the amount of money need to really get good talent as well as develop it, they are going to be behind the eight ball. According to the numbers that Gonzo had in the Tribune, they spent the least amount of money in baseball over the last five years on the minor league talent.

This may change with Hahn in charge, he might take a more balanced appraoch to the entire major/minor league operation. We'll see.

Lip
Not to mention the changes in the new CBA hopefully meaning the Sox do spend more than they have in the past on amateur talent, especially relative to other teams who can't spend as much as they used to.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Pirates, Padres, Cubs, Twins, Red Sox, and Marlins are in the top ten (60% of the top ten for those of you keeping score at home). All had losing seasons last year (if the Red Sox have such a great farm system, why did they not have the horses to replace the injured players?). I only ignored the cherry picking.
Actually the Red Sox had extensive injuries last year. At one point, they had 4 outfielders on the DL. That was after they traded their top outfield prospect before the season in Josh Reddick for a closer and Ryan Sweeney. The closer, Andrew Bailey did not return till late summer from a spring injury and Sweeney started as the 4th outfielder and went down with an injury for an extended period as well. Tough to find that many replacements in the minors.
I see them a lot and they have been pretty successful in getting production when they call up a player. Now they do spend money at the AAA level by signing some ML vets to go along with their young prospects. Notice Theo contunued the same signing Lillibridge and McDonald to AAA contracts.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Actually the Red Sox had extensive injuries last year. At one point, they had 4 outfielders on the DL. That was after they traded their top outfield prospect before the season in Josh Reddick for a closer and Ryan Sweeney. The closer, Andrew Bailey did not return till late summer from a spring injury and Sweeney started as the 4th outfielder and went down with an injury for an extended period as well. Tough to find that many replacements in the minors.
I see them a lot and they have been pretty successful in getting production when they call up a player. Now they do spend money at the AAA level by signing some ML vets to go along with their young prospects. Notice Theo contunued the same signing Lillibridge and McDonald to AAA contracts.
Can Reddick be said to have been a prospect at that point? He had played over half the season prior to the trade.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM
WSI Prelate

I would also like to point out that major league success has little bearing on whether the player in the minors *now* is considered a top/valuable prospect. Many a prospect perceived as great, but who sputtered out eventually, has been used to fetch a hefty ransom in trade talks.

We don't have any of those guys.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
And I am still dyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyying to hear what sort of connection you think there is between the complete state of a team's minor league system and their likelihood of success in 2013....
Ok, for the last time: you and I are in agreement on this and have always been in this thread, why do you persist in arguing with me on this point?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Not to mention the changes in the new CBA hopefully meaning the Sox do spend more than they have in the past on amateur talent, especially relative to other teams who can't spend as much as they used to.
This ^^

Last year's draft represented a dramatic shift in our philosophy which can be attributed to the changes in the CBA. With the playing field more even, I imagine that a lot of teams that traditionally do well in the draft because of their free spending will suffer. I look forward to players being drafted in the proper order for many years to come.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Lip
The Sox spent their entire allocation last year under the new CBA. Can't do better than that with the new system.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM
WSI Guru

Dirty:

It's more than just spending on U.S. players.

It's spending on good coaches, it's spending on getting the best scouts (even if that means getting them from other organizations), it's spending on getting the minor league operations up to par with the way the Sox want it done. Have been to Great Falls for example and let's just say they need some work on the facilities. It means spending money on international talent that is not subject to draft specifications.

Lip
Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Dirty:

It's more than just spending on U.S. players.

It's spending on good coaches, it's spending on getting the best scouts (even if that means getting them from other organizations), it's spending on getting the minor league operations up to par with the way the Sox want it done. Have been to Great Falls for example and let's just say they need some work on the facilities. It means spending money on international talent that is not subject to draft specifications.

Lip
I thought spending on international talent was also covered under the new CBA?