White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Apparently the stuff the clinic was selling is not on baseball's list of banned substances.

Still, it's dumb that this guy kept records on selling PEDs to pro ball players.
Earlier this morning on MLB's Hot Stove Ken Rosenthal listed every substance that Cabrera and A-Rod were linked to and said they were all on the banned substance list. He then said what Gio and Cruz were linked to wasn't clear.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
WSI Prelate

The Yankees are looking at "20 different ways" to void A-Rod's contract.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ording-sources
Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Just saw this article on Yahoo and the quote of this company being, "The Balco of the east." Pretty soon, new companies will just pop up and start sending MLB players samples of PED's in the mail like Tide laundry detergent.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM
WSI Guru

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/88...-ped-penalties

Lip
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Personally, I like 80 games for the first offense, 162 for the second, and you're outta here after the 3rd. I'm sure someone else will come up with something. I think offseason testing needs to be emphasized.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Personally, I like 80 games for the first offense, 162 for the second, and you're outta here after the 3rd. I'm sure someone else will come up with something. I think offseason testing needs to be emphasized.
I would say that it should be a 162 (plus playoffs) ban for the first violation, 324 (plus playoffs) for the second and then a life time ban for the third violation. I would also start trying to include clauses that would result in the voiding of any contract by a player who tests positive. Maybe lawyers could also include some language that would allow a team to sue users for fraud if they signed a contract while using or something. Going after the money is the only real way to get guys to reconsider using steroids. Right now it still makes a lot of sense for a guy like Melky Cabrera to risk getting caught in order to go from a $400,000 salary as a 4th outfielder to an $8 million salary as a starter and All Star MVP.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Dumb question, but do the players get paid or unpaid leave during suspension?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 PM
WSI Guru

Unpaid in most cases.

Lip
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

What baffles me is that these players would actually go and buy this stuff under their name. Dont these guys have friends, relatives, etc they can trust to buy this and then give it to them?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
What baffles me is that these players would actually go and buy this stuff under their name. Dont these guys have friends, relatives, etc they can trust to buy this and then give it to them?
A-Rod's cousin has been linked to a couple of guys so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he has been buying stuff for A-Rod too.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Maybe the Gio deals Kenny pulled off won't turn out to be so bad after all. Especially if Gio in fact is suspended for using them.

Lip
If it makes us feel better about the awful Swisher trades, sure why not?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Heard on the score this morning that rumor is more names will be released next week.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

There are talks now that this may force A-Rod into retirement.

What a way to end what could have been the greatest career ever. What a scumbag. If this is how it actually ends, he'll have a stain at least as big as Barroid and Clemens going down the road.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post

What a way to end what could have been the greatest career ever. What a scumbag. If this is how it actually ends, he'll have a stain at least as big as Barroid and Clemens going down the road.
It's really sad. I really liked watching him play earlier in his career with Seattle.

I think he is done due to the hip injury. I also think the Yankees will settle with him and pay a portion of his remaining contract if he retires early. That way, if he ever does consider coming back, the Yankees would maintain rights and trade him. (Something is better than nothing)

I just can't imagine him working his way back to be a DH at this point in his career.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post

At one time, I thought he was almost certain to end up passing Aaron and Bonds for all-time HR leader. He already surpassed 600 HR at age 34.

Too bad the Yanks won it all in 2009 - I would have loved to see A-Rod finish his career without a WS title. At least it looks like he's getting his name properly tarnished just like Bonds, Clemens, etc.

As much as I can't stand him, I hope the Yankees aren't able to weasel out of paying him the rest of his contract. They like throwing stupid money at players to buy up championships. So, let them choke on that $20M/year that they agreed to pay him until he is 42.....of course, that kind of contract is just a minor speed bump to the Yankee$.