White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
I liked Milo Hamilton and Bob Elson (I think those names are correct) but I was just a boy. How many of you remember them? I don't think ex-players are good at PBP.... bring in an actual pro announcer for that job.

Bob Elson along with the Go Go White sox will always be one of my heroes, how many nights I had the transistor radio under my pillow listening to him, I'll never know but he was White Sox baseball along with the few games we got on WGN with Jack Brickhouse as in those days theSox would only televise home day games.
As Nellie stated, Elson was not the most exciting PBP guy but he was all we knew and not once did I ever hear him knock a ballplayer either on the Sox or the other team plus he has a spot in the Hall Of Fame.

"I will be back in a few minutes with some more Dugout Dope, but first a word from Friendly Bob Adams at General Finance''.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Bob Elson along with the Go Go White sox will always be one of my heroes, how many nights I had the transistor radio under my pillow listening to him, I'll never know but he was White Sox baseball along with the few games we got on WGN with Jack Brickhouse as in those days theSox would only televise home day games.
As Nellie stated, Elson was not the most exciting PBP guy but he was all we knew and not once did I ever hear him knock a ballplayer either on the Sox or the other team plus he has a spot in the Hall Of Fame.

"I will be back in a few minutes with some more Dugout Dope, but first a word from Friendly Bob Adams at General Finance''.
Bob Elson had perfected the slow monotone voice but there was no one better in my mind. To improve the Hawk and Steve show get rid of Hawk, the word blowhard, full of oneself, but most of all irritating.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Here is a coincidence, bought a new car up in Winter Haven yesterday and Hawk bought a car from another salesman at the same dealership about a month ago, said he was a great guy.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-06-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM
WSI Regular

Outta sight... Outta mind... Dang! Lol!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hate Me View Post
Four pages now and no mention of Dave Wills? That has to be a record for a WSI thread about Sox announcers.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 PM
WSI Personality

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...1260061.column
Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Here is a coincidence, bought a new car up in Winter Haven yesterday and Hawk bought a car from another salesman at the same dealership about a month ago, said he was a great guy.
So what kind of car does the Hawk like to drive?
Old 02-23-2013, 02:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
So what kind of car does the Hawk like to drive?
I believe it was a Hyundai Equus.

It was brought up because the salesman noticed my White Sox plate frame and my magnetic logo.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 AM
WSI Regular

First off, Ed Farmer, needs to go, and he can take DJ with him. The Sox need a professional PBP man in the radio booth. For color they need to hire a new guy, with more Sox experience. I'm sick of hearing about DJ coming up through the Cubs system. Here's where they could break in a Aaron Rowand. (he's got to be better than Chris Singleton was).

I'm fine with Hawk and Stoney. I enjoy most of Hawk's stories and sayings, but that Matt Abbatacola thing needs to go away! Matt is a Cub fan, for crying out loud, and he has nothing to do with baseball, except he occasionaly talks about it on WSCR. It may be fun to say Abbatacola, but come up with another saying, Hawk!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

No Hawk, DON'T come up with another saying!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM
WSI Regular

I agree that not everyone will like the same announcer. I love listening to Hawk. And I don't want a "professional sounding" announcer coming to the Sox. All that ""bub-bub dubba-dubba" stuff drives me nuts.

Put on mlb network and listen to any of the clips and the only guys that sound different are Hawk and that annoying guy from the Yankees,
Old 02-24-2013, 03:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
I agree that not everyone will like the same announcer. I love listening to Hawk. And I don't want a "professional sounding" announcer coming to the Sox. All that ""bub-bub dubba-dubba" stuff drives me nuts.

Put on mlb network and listen to any of the clips and the only guys that sound different are Hawk and that annoying guy from the Yankees,
Russ Langer, who's the AAA Las Vegas guy, has been doing PBP with Melton for the spring training webcasts the last couple of years. I gather you'd consider him a "bub-bub dubba-dubba" guy, but he's pretty damn refreshing to hear after listening to our broadcast teams...
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Official Professor

"bub-bub dubba-dubba?" What the hell?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 02-25-2013, 05:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Probably meant guys who just drone on and on with mostly useless information. Dewayne Staats down here in Tampa is a perfect example.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I'm not positive, and that was my original reaction as well, but reading this on my phone at 5am had me laughing out loud.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Probably meant guys who just drone on and on with mostly useless information. Dewayne Staats down here in Tampa is a perfect example.
I won't pretend to be overly familiar with Staats, but he probably imparts a lot less useless information than Hawk does.