White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I wish that "steroid era" would be called the "juiced ball" era. The ball had more to do with the explosion in home runs than PED's. PED's have always, and will always be rampant in sports. The ball was what separated that era more than anything. It really makes Pedro Martinez' numbers during that time even more brilliant. I really think he's the best pitcher I've ever seen.
Bull.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Bull.
Players used PED's before that era and they're still using them. Why was that era unique? It was the ball. I remember watching a show where they were comparing the ball used in MLB and the ball used in Japan, they were completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 02-10-2013, 02:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Players used PED's before that era and they're still using them. Why was that era unique? It was the ball. I remember watching a show where they were comparing the ball used in MLB and the ball used in Japan, they were completely different.
Because Cap Anson, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, or anyone else you want to name until the mid 1980s didn't have access to high-tech anabolic steroids that Bonds et al did. Steroids and HGH are NOT the same thing as Speed or Greenies.

And yeah, MLB and Japan use slightly different sized balls. Our baseball hasn't changed since 1920, and whether it did even then is debatable.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

For reference, here's Babe Ruth, Hank Greenberg, and Willie Mays.

Now here are Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, and Sammy Sosa:

Spot the difference? Before the steroid era having the bicep circumference of a baby rhinoceros was probably considered a bit of a medical abnormality among baseball players.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Because Cap Anson, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, or anyone else you want to name until the mid 1980s didn't have access to high-tech anabolic steroids that Bonds et al did. Steroids and HGH are NOT the same thing as Speed or Greenies.

And yeah, MLB and Japan use slightly different sized balls. Our baseball hasn't changed since 1920, and whether it did even then is debatable.
The ball during the steroid era is nothing like the ball they used then. The ball has changed a lot over the years. The ball during the steroid era was wound so tight that they seams were indented.

Players today are still well built and they're still taking PED's, but they're not hitting 70 HR's a year anymore. Why?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The ball during the steroid era is nothing like the ball they used then. The ball has changed a lot over the years. The ball during the steroid era was wound so tight that they seams were indented.

Players today are still well built and they're still taking PED's, but they're not hitting 70 HR's a year anymore. Why?
Back in 2009 Buerhle was saying that he thought the ball was wound tighter now than it was in the steroid era.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I wish that "steroid era" would be called the "juiced ball" era. The ball had more to do with the explosion in home runs than PED's. PED's have always, and will always be rampant in sports. The ball was what separated that era more than anything. It really makes Pedro Martinez' numbers during that time even more brilliant. I really think he's the best pitcher I've ever seen.
Some people are so effin dense when it comes to this issue. With that type of thinking many people hire, promote and fire, sit on juries and make judgements. It's scary.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Some people are so effin dense when it comes to this issue. With that type of thinking many people hire, promote and fire, sit on juries and make judgements. It's scary.
I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying into the idea that Brady ****ing Anderson hit 50 home runs because the seams on the ball were altered slightly.

Last edited by mzh; 02-10-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying into the idea that Brady ****ing Anderson hit 50 home runs because the seams on the ball were altered slightly.
Yes I agree with you and you've made a great argument. Love those photos. Some just won't come off an entirely unreasonable and intransigent stance.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yes I agree with you and you've made a great argument. Love those photos. Some just won't come off an entirely unreasonable and intransigent stance.
What I don't understand is the stance that we should just accept it because it happens. It'll never be a 'pure' game and it never has been, but that don't mean we shouldn't fight to preserve some sort of semblance of integrity.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
What I don't understand is the stance that we should just accept it because it happens. It'll never be a 'pure' game and it never has been, but that don't mean we shouldn't fight to preserve some sort of semblance of integrity.
I skimmed over some of the thread, but i didn't see anybody saying that.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
What? I'm dense because I think the ball was juiced? Way to be an *******, bro.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The ball wasn't "altered" slightly.

For the third time, players are still taking PED's. Why aren't people hitting 70 home runs a year anymore?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The ball wasn't "altered" slightly.

For the third time, players are still taking PED's. Why aren't people hitting 70 home runs a year anymore?
Because the testing has been improved so much that guys can no longer inject themselves with drugs meant for horses. Guys are still using (and a lot of them are getting caught too) but they can't take the kind of steroids like stanozolol that make you look like in the incredible hulk anymore without getting caught.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Because the testing has been improved so much that guys can no longer inject themselves with drugs meant for horses. Guys are still using (and a lot of them are getting caught too) but they can't take the kind of steroids like stanozolol that make you look like in the incredible hulk anymore without getting caught.
I honestly don't believe that for a second.