Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 AM
MMXXIII

Default Sox have 2 of Jonah Keri's Worst 15 Contracts in baseball

Dunn and Danks at 12 and 11 respectively. Can't really argue with that.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-contracts-mlb

Unfortunately, we only have 1 of the Top 50 most valuable players in baseball right now... http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...aseball-part-2

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Banned

Honestly, it's really awesome to see Sale make the list that high, as well as MLBN lists and otherwise. God, I hope he turns out well.

I need a new jersey t-shirt to replace my Beckham one and I want to go with Sale, but I'm worried it's still too early.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Just hoping this Danks injury is a one year thing and nothing nagging for the future.

Sucks for a team who rarely pays long term money to pitchers roll the dice and fail so far with it.

But again, only 1 year.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Also, if not for a comeback season last year, Rios would have made that list too.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

They put Mark Buehrle on the "honorable mentions" list. Until I see some kind of decline, he shouldn't be there.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
They put Mark Buehrle on the "honorable mentions" list. Until I see some kind of decline, he shouldn't be there.
Well, he's been in more or less rough decline for a few seasons now, but I'm sure it's more in relation to the fact that in 2014 and 2015 he's owed an average of $18.5 M per season which is WAAAAAAAAAY more than Buehrle's probably ever been worth, even at his peak. That's a tough pill to swallow for a to-contact pitcher reentering the American League.

This isn't just "15 Worst Players in Baseball," it's "15 Worst Ratios of Player Value to Amount of Money Owed." Albert Pujols is still one of the best hitters in the game, but the fact that he's owed approximately $300 million until he's in his 40s... Woof.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well, he's been in more or less rough decline for a few seasons now, but I'm sure it's more in relation to the fact that in 2014 and 2015 he's owed an average of $18.5 M per season which is WAAAAAAAAAY more than Buehrle's probably ever been worth, even at his peak. That's a tough pill to swallow for a to-contact pitcher reentering the American League.

This isn't just "15 Worst Players in Baseball," it's "15 Worst Ratios of Player Value to Amount of Money Owed." Albert Pujols is still one of the best hitters in the game, but the fact that he's owed approximately $300 million until he's in his 40s... Woof.
I'll give you that he makes too much, but there just isn't a decline. None of his numbers show decline. He had one outlier somewhat poor season in 2010. Everything else says he is the same pitcher he has been since entering the league. He even got a significant bump, statistically from going to the NL, in both WHIP and K/BB ratio, so I don't see why his returning to the AL makes any difference. He is one of the most consistent pitchers in baseball, and probably the most durable one I've ever seen. Dude has pitched 200+ innings in 12 consecutive seasons. Yeah, he's somewhat overpaid, but not enough to be included here.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Fact: Older players get the biggest contracts. Fact: Older players get older. Fact: Older players get injured more often.

Conclusion: Big contracts for older players who get injured more often are considered bad contracts.

Got it. Now just don't let the Yankees, Dodgers or Angels see this.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
Fact: Older players get the biggest contracts. Fact: Older players get older. Fact: Older players get injured more often.

Conclusion: Big contracts for older players who get injured more often are considered bad contracts.

Got it. Now just don't let the Yankees, Dodgers or Angels see this.
The trend is locking guys up so that they don't hit free agency at 30-31, because signing superstars at 32 is literally the least efficient way to build a team.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Banned

Danks will be fine, just probably not this year. I'm not worried about that contract...yet.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM
WSI Personality

What's funny is that baseball is the only sport of the big 4 where even the worst contracts can still get moved. If guys like Vernon Wells, Carl Crawford, and Alex Rios can all get moved with their boat anchor contracts, anyone can.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
What's funny is that baseball is the only sport of the big 4 where even the worst contracts can still get moved. If guys like Vernon Wells, Carl Crawford, and Alex Rios can all get moved with their boat anchor contracts, anyone can.
That's because baseball has no salary cap, and NFL contracts aren't guaranteed.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
That's because baseball has no salary cap, and NFL contracts aren't guaranteed.
Also MLB owners are not hurting and can afford the salt and peppering it may take to take on a bad contract, to give your team a chance to win. Yea, the NFL owners could do the same, but they dont have to.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
WSI Personality

It's absolutely ridiculous to put the Danks contract on that list. It hasn't even come close to playing out. Stupid. Might as well put Peavy's new contract on there too.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
I'll give you that he makes too much, but there just isn't a decline. None of his numbers show decline. He had one outlier somewhat poor season in 2010. Everything else says he is the same pitcher he has been since entering the league. He even got a significant bump, statistically from going to the NL, in both WHIP and K/BB ratio, so I don't see why his returning to the AL makes any difference. He is one of the most consistent pitchers in baseball, and probably the most durable one I've ever seen. Dude has pitched 200+ innings in 12 consecutive seasons. Yeah, he's somewhat overpaid, but not enough to be included here.
I read an article a few months ago about how Buerhle has a shot at the Hall of Fame. Seems like a longshot but he has put up consistent numbers even when he ends up going 13-13. It's pretty amazing how he's still pretty young and is already at 48.9 career war. A pitcher who reaches a 60.0 war is usually a lock for the Hall of Fame. Buerhle is a interesting case because he's never put up a lights out type of season just consistent seasons so he may get overlooked when it's time for his hof chances.

Roy Halladay 63.6 war, age 36...He's a lock for hof.
Tim Hudson 51.1 war, age 37...age is catching up to him.
CC Sabathia 51.0 war age 32....He's probably going to make the hof.
Mark Buerhle 48.9 war age 34
Johan Santana 48.6 war age 34.....I think Buerhle will be better in the next 3-4 years.
Roy Oswalt 48.5 war age 35....I can't see him ever being very good again.