White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

http://chicagosidesports.com/an-arti...ans-wet-dream/

Even the most optimistic Cub fans know it's not until 2017....
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
http://chicagosidesports.com/an-arti...ans-wet-dream/

Even the most optimistic Cub fans know it's not until 2017....

Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 PM
WSI Regular

as an aside, did the Tribune Co. keep a small share of Cubs ownership? 5%? TIA.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangelosi CF View Post
as an aside, did the Tribune Co. keep a small share of Cubs ownership? 5%? TIA.
Yes, but the percentage will shrink over a few years. It was done for tax purposes.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 PM
WSI Regular

Cubs are winning it all in 2015. Robert Zemeckis, Bob Gale, and Marty McFly said so.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Why shouldn't Epstein shoot for 2015? The Cubs can count on huge crowds regardless. They don't have any sense of urgency to be competitive before then.

Things would be different if the Sox looked like they have their act together for the next couple of years, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If the Sox had been able to follow up their 2005 success with more consistent playoff appearance, then the Cubs might be starting to panic right now as the shift in the Chicago market became more dramatic. But this didn't happen. The Sox totally let the wind get out of their sails over the last 4 seasons and don't look to be a serious threat the next couple of years either. So, the Cubs know they still own this town even if they stink for the next few years.

IMO, it'll be 2 or 3 more years before anyone seriously starts calling for Theo's job. I wouldn't laugh off the idea that they could be playoff contenders in 2015 either. I'm not saying this out of any love for their organization or any idea that Theo is a "genius". I'm just saying this because things can turn around relatively quickly in MLB. All the Cubs have to do is get close to decent talent-wise and I expect Ricketts to open up his pocketbook and go on a spending spree to put them into the playoffs.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Why shouldn't Epstein shoot for 2015? The Cubs can count on huge crowds regardless. They don't have any sense of urgency to be competitive before then.

Things would be different if the Sox looked like they have their act together for the next couple of years, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If the Sox had been able to follow up their 2005 success with more consistent playoff appearance, then the Cubs might be starting to panic right now as the shift in the Chicago market became more dramatic. But this didn't happen. The Sox totally let the wind get out of their sails over the last 4 seasons and don't look to be a serious threat the next couple of years either. So, the Cubs know they still own this town even if they stink for the next few years.

IMO, it'll be 2 or 3 more years before anyone seriously starts calling for Theo's job. I wouldn't laugh off the idea that they could be playoff contenders in 2015 either. I'm not saying this out of any love for their organization or any idea that Theo is a "genius". I'm just saying this because things can turn around relatively quickly in MLB. All the Cubs have to do is get close to decent talent-wise and I expect Ricketts to open up his pocketbook and go on a spending spree to put them into the playoffs.

This post is right on. The Sox have missed several chances to turn this market around but instead they named Hawk as GM, let the strike ruin a season, turned off many with the White Flag Trade and then could not sustain success after the World Series.

2015 - that will markt the 70th anniversary of the last Cubs World Series appearance. This is what they are aiming for? Only Cub fans can buy this crap.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYoung View Post
Cubs are winning it all in 2015. Robert Zemeckis, Bob Gale, and Marty McFly said so.
I have repeatedly had to tell one particular Cub fan that Back to the Future II was not a documentary.

SMO
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I've always wondered why the cubs would try to be competitive. Would they draw larger crowds? No. If they ever won, they might even lose crowds. If they create the illusion of being competitive, but have the smallest salaries possible, wouldn't they maximize profits?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
I've always wondered why the cubs would try to be competitive. Would they draw larger crowds? No. If they ever won, they might even lose crowds. If they create the illusion of being competitive, but have the smallest salaries possible, wouldn't they maximize profits?
While the Cubs are still selling tickets you only had to watch a bit of Cubs games late last year to see that they weren't drawing people to the park. Tickets to Cub games were going for something like a penny in September. If the Cubs could field an even mildly competitive team they could draw more people which would mean more money for the Cubs.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM
WSI Personality

Cubs competitive in 2015...................and then the season starts.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

great way to get a minimum of four years with job security. Good plan, Theo
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

The fact the Cubs are talking about being competitive in two years shows how gullible their fan base is. This is all such a joke.