White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 PM
WSI Personality

Buehrle only sniffs the Hall if he knocks on the door of 300 wins, which he isn't doing unless he pitches into his mid-forties. Granted, of anyone pitching right now, he has the best chance of being another Jamie Moyer given his durability, mechanics, and junkballing. I highly doubt Buehrle wants to pitch another 10 years, though.

He'll end up with around 230 wins, at least one WS ring, and a statue at the Cell. Pretty damn good for a guy that wasn't touted at all coming into the league.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Buehrle only sniffs the Hall if he knocks on the door of 300 wins, which he isn't doing unless he pitches into his mid-forties. Granted, of anyone pitching right now, he has the best chance of being another Jamie Moyer given his durability, mechanics, and junkballing. I highly doubt Buehrle wants to pitch another 10 years, though.

He'll end up with around 230 wins, at least one WS ring, and a statue at the Cell. Pretty damn good for a guy that wasn't touted at all coming into the league.

And dont forget he will walk from the game making around 150M.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't think Mark will make the hall of fame, but he is a pretty interesting case. While never the best pitcher in any of his years, he is, by far, the most consistently good for a kinda crazy amount of time, relative to his era. He's sort of an anomaly. I wouldn't know who to compare him to, as far as contemporary pitchers go, because none of them have sniffed his level of durability. It's really amazing. Burls has 12 straight 200+, and who's the next longest streak of the era? Livan Hernandez? And his was like 6 or 7?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 AM
WSI Personality

I know it's a longshot for him but if he somehow gets another ring as a main contributer on another World Series team then that could increase his chances but he's still going to need at least 4 good years. If he can average 12 wins a year until he's 39 with his usual 3.0 war then I can see a very good argument for him. If that all fell into place which is very possible then he would have close to 250 wins and a war of around 70. He might not have the exciting stats of Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez, Clayton Kershaw and David Price but odds are at least two of them will fizzle out. I think Buerhles consistency may help get him in.

I doubt Buerhle pitches much longer though so i'm sure none of this comes close to happening. I'm just hoping it does.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
I don't think Mark will make the hall of fame, but he is a pretty interesting case. While never the best pitcher in any of his years, he is, by far, the most consistently good for a kinda crazy amount of time, relative to his era. He's sort of an anomaly. I wouldn't know who to compare him to, as far as contemporary pitchers go, because none of them have sniffed his level of durability. It's really amazing. Burls has 12 straight 200+, and who's the next longest streak of the era? Livan Hernandez? And his was like 6 or 7?
I hate to say it but I bet Buerhle will be remembered as a Rick Reuschel or Frank Tanana type of pitcher which shouldn't happen but probably will.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 AM
WSI Guru

Nothing wrong with being compared to either of those guys, they were both pretty damn good especially Tanana before he hurt his arm.

Lip
Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Nothing wrong with being compared to either of those guys, they were both pretty damn good especially Tanana before he hurt his arm.

Lip
Both were really good even after their arm injurys but I doubt too many will ever think of them as hofers even though they were better than at least 15 guys already in the Hall of Fame.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM
WSI Personality

I'm not sure where Dunn is that bad a contract. He produces Runs and RBI's at a clip well above league average usually , at least last year. He gets paid a ton, but I don't remember many complaints when we got him . I was happy with it. Danks contract was an eyebrow raiser , I never thought he should have got that kind of money for pretty average career numbers and performance. But I have heard , for the sabermetric people , he has WAR well above average for his spot in the rotation and for a lefthanded pitcher. I didn't like that contract at all at the time and still don't. He gets paid like a top flight pitcher and he doesn't perform like one in my opinion. If he gets injured again, that contract is going to be a disaster.

Last edited by mahagga73; 02-12-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
I'm not sure where Dunn is that bad a contract. He produces Runs and RBI's at a clip well above league average usually , at least last year. He gets paid a ton, but I don't remember many complaints when we got him . I was happy with it. Danks contract was an eyebrow raiser , I never thought he should hve got tha kind of money for pretty average career numbers and performance. But I have heard , for the sabermetric people , he has WAR well above average for his spot in the rotation and for a lefthanded pitcher. i didn't like that contract at all at the time and still don't. He gets paid like a top flight pitcher and he doesn't perform like one in my opinion. If he gets injured again, that contract is going to be a disaster.
I have an opposite viewpoint. Keri seems to include Danks in his bottom mainly based on the uncertainty that he will perform close to pre-injury levels, while Dunn's inclusion is based on a two-year decline (not in HR and RBI, of course, but in every other offensive category) at the age of 33. I think Danks will come closer to earning his salary than Dunn will, especially when you factor in defense (and why wouldn't you?).
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I have an opposite viewpoint. Keri seems to include Danks in his bottom mainly based on the uncertainty that he will perform close to pre-injury levels, while Dunn's inclusion is based on a two-year decline (not in HR and RBI, of course, but in every other offensive category) at the age of 33. I think Danks will come closer to earning his salary than Dunn will, especially when you factor in defense (and why wouldn't you?).
Yeah I can see that. didn't factor in age and all that for Dunn.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Honestly, it's really awesome to see Sale make the list that high, as well as MLBN lists and otherwise. God, I hope he turns out well.

I need a new jersey t-shirt to replace my Beckham one and I want to go with Sale, but I'm worried it's still too early.
It wasn't too early to get Beckham's?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM
WSI Prelate

As others have said, I am not that concerned about the contracts right now, given that over the next few years the big deals will come off our books.

I am more concerned that the Sox have enough talent coming through the system, both currently in the minors and young players on the roster, to replace the aging expensive veterans as they leave.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
I'm not sure where Dunn is that bad a contract. He produces Runs and RBI's at a clip well above league average usually , at least last year. He gets paid a ton, but I don't remember many complaints when we got him . I was happy with it. Danks contract was an eyebrow raiser , I never thought he should have got that kind of money for pretty average career numbers and performance. But I have heard , for the sabermetric people , he has WAR well above average for his spot in the rotation and for a lefthanded pitcher. I didn't like that contract at all at the time and still don't. He gets paid like a top flight pitcher and he doesn't perform like one in my opinion. If he gets injured again, that contract is going to be a disaster.
mahagga I think the point on Dunn was also that his production can be achieved/close to achieved at the DH spot by guys that can be signed to minor league deals now. Not that they don't deserve more, but execs are now spending more on players with multiple tools and paying very little to one and two dimensional sluggers.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I think there are a lot of pitching contracts that are worse than Danks'. If you are going to go with uncertaintly of future performance, there could be a lot more. Pitching is such a fragile commodity that there are pitchers who appear to be signed to good contracts now who will be hurt in 2013 and become huge financial burdens on their team. The anti-Cubs bias here will cloud opinions, but look at how abrubtly objective baseball opinions changed in considering Mark Prior's Cubs contract.

I though Dunn's contract was one of the worst in baseball the day it was signed because I think basesball, winning baseball anyway, has been evolving away from what he brings to the game. He isn't even a very good run producer considering that in two years in the American League he has been his team's worst regular hitter with runners in scoring position. I hope that doesn't continue, but I think that will continue as long as he doesn't work on making more contact.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post

I'm the biggest Buerhle fan around, and I agree. To make the HoF, What he lacks in dominance he needs to make up for in durability. And I believe he has indicated in the past that he doesn't intend to play as long as he might be able to. Unless he plays Moyer-type years, he probably won't have the cumulative numbers to overcome his lack of dominance.