White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Michael Bourn to the Indians per Jon Heyman and Ken Rosenthal

Jon Heyman and Ken Rosenthal on Twitter report that the Indians and Michael Bourn agree to a four year $48 million with a vesting option for $12 million for a fifth if he gets 550 plate appearances in the last year.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Jon Heyman and Ken Rosenthal on Twitter report that the Indians and Michael Bourn agree to a four year $48 million with a vesting option for $12 million for a fifth if he gets 550 plate appearances in the last year.
Not that I think the Indians are better than us (they're not), anything that makes a division opponent harder makes that wild card option less and less likely.

We could have REALLY used him. The contract is downright robbery.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Not that I think the Indians are better than us (they're not), anything that makes a division opponent harder makes that wild card option less and less likely.

We could have REALLY used him. The contract is downright robbery.
I dont know, I like Bourn, but I dont think hes worth 12 mil per. I mean, thats about what Rios makes and Rios > Bourn. He will make the Indians better.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I dont know, I like Bourn, but I dont think hes worth 12 mil per. I mean, thats about what Rios makes and Rios > Bourn. He will make the Indians better.
I don't think Rios is better than Bourne. Rios had some better seasons, but he's inconsistent. And Bourn's a different player. One of the best leadoff guys in the game, and a defensive wizard in center.

I'd probably rather have Bourn. But having one and not the other isn't what I meant either. I'd love to have Bourn in center and Rios in right with a platoon in left. That's an outfield that would have went a long way to helping us compete. I'm not sure there's a guy out there now that'll realistically put us in the equation.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't think Rios is better than Bourne. Rios had some better seasons, but he's inconsistent. And Bourn's a different player. One of the best leadoff guys in the game, and a defensive wizard in center.

I'd probably rather have Bourn. But having one and not the other isn't what I meant either. I'd love to have Bourn in center and Rios in right with a platoon in left. That's an outfield that would have went a long way to helping us compete. I'm not sure there's a guy out there now that'll realistically put us in the equation.
I think we can compete, but its the same formula we always have. Last year we built a 75 win team and it maxed out and won 84 games, I dont think that team could possibly have won 88, they far over achieved. Now we are starting with a base team that would win 82-85 games, so winning 90 is unlikely but possible. IF we do that and something happens in Detroit, we could compete.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 PM
WSI Prelate

You guys would want another guy in the lineup striking out 140+ times a season? We'd never hear the end of it.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I wonder if the Sox are even dealing with boras.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
You guys would want another guy in the lineup striking out 140+ times a season? We'd never hear the end of it.
Who cares if he's leading off and hitting over .300?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Who cares if he's leading off and hitting over .300?
Yes. And stealing 60 bases and playing GG center field.

Strikeouts aren't bad if you can compensate by being competent at more than one facet of the game.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 PM
WSI Guru

Noneck:

History shows they try not to unless absolutely necessary.

Lip
Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Yes. And stealing 60 bases and playing GG center field.

Strikeouts aren't bad if you can compensate by being competent at more than one facet of the game.
The thing is, he only stole 42 bases last year(a drop off of almost 20 from the previous year) and was caught 13 times. Now, is that an abberation, or has he lost a step? That is something we will find out this season. 12 million is a lot for a .730 OPS with no power and good, but not great base stealing ability. If he returns to his previous numbers of 50-60 SB, it seems like an OK deal to me.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think the Indians are a sleeper AL Central team. I would not be surprised if they beat the White Sox for 2nd place..
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think we can compete, but its the same formula we always have. Last year we built a 75 win team and it maxed out and won 84 games, I dont think that team could possibly have won 88, they far over achieved. Now we are starting with a base team that would win 82-85 games, so winning 90 is unlikely but possible. IF we do that and something happens in Detroit, we could compete.
I don't share your opinion that the base of this team is that good, if for no other reason than games within our division are going to be a lot harder to win this year.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
I think the Indians are a sleeper AL Central team. I would not be surprised if they beat the White Sox for 2nd place..
They don't have the pitching. They've made a few curious signings (Bourn, Swisher) that you'd expect a contending team only to make. They must share your opinion.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
The thing is, he only stole 42 bases last year(a drop off of almost 20 from the previous year) and was caught 13 times. Now, is that an abberation, or has he lost a step? That is something we will find out this season. 12 million is a lot for a .730 OPS with no power and good, but not great base stealing ability. If he returns to his previous numbers of 50-60 SB, it seems like an OK deal to me.
He could steal 30 bases a year for the duration of that contract and as long as he still hits over .300 he's worth it. $12 million is not a lot for a leadoff guy. There's so few good ones right now.