White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 PM
MMXXIII

Default Wrigleyville: Past, Present, and Future

Really, really interesting read...

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2013/...p-scaling.html
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
WSI High Priest

That was a great read. Thanks Doub

Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

That really was good. I can remember the 1965 scene he described and I've joked that the Tribune after 1984 and Ricketts now have been gradually turning the place into a Disneyland simulation of a neighborhood. It would be a real shame if those small buildings got swallowed up to build a mall/hotel.

The street-fair thing isn't necessarily a bad idea. Those streets are pretty much impassable on game days anyway. But killing off the little busnesses would be a mistake. It really is a game of follow the money, and who knows how it'll turn out.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Very good and can relate to a lot of it. First of all after being born on the Southside in 1946 we moved to the 900 block of west Dakin St about 4 blocks north of the ballpark in 1950. I went to LeMoyne grammar school for 2 years which is just 2 blocks east of the park on Addison st. First time I stepped in Wrigley was around 1951 for a Rodeo, I remember that The Cisco Kid and Poncho were the star attraction of the show. We moved to Rogers Park in 1953 and saw my first game at Wrigley in 1955 against the Cards. It was about 2 weeks after my first Sox game at Comiskey, both games were on bus rides from the YMCA. As a youngster starting when I was 11 years old my friends and I took in many games at Wrigley because of day baseball and it was easy to get to from Rogers Park on the El. Not once did I root for the Flubs. We could sit anywhere in those days, bought a General Admission ticket for a buck and would be sitting in the box seats by the 4th inning. All the games I went to the upper deck was always closed except for one game against the Braves around 1958. 1962 came along and I got a job as a vendor at all the sports venues in Chicago, Wrigley was horrible, was lucky if I made 7 bucks while at Sox park I could haul down 20 bucks with a little bit of hustle. Not once in those days did I ever dream that Wrigley and the neighborhood would turn into a Cash Cow and a must destination for visitors to Chicago. Last game I saw at Wrigley was 1985 and needed a baseball fix so I took my son to a game on the train from Wheaton to the loop and then the EL and saw the Cubs lose another one to the Cards.
The one thing about Wrigley that I loved was that it was a great place to watch the Bears, hardly missed a game there from 1959 to 1962. You were right on top of the action as they put up those temp seats in right field and the field was really squeezed in running north to south. The end zones were only 8 yards instead of the normal 10.
Hope I didn't bore anyone to death but I do have some fond memories of the dump and thought I would pass them along.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-12-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Very good and can relate to a lot of it. First of all after being born on the Southside in 1946 we moved to the 900 block of west Dakin St about 4 blocks north of the ballpark in 1950. I went to LeMoyne grammar school for 2 years which is just 2 blocks east of the park on Addison st. First time I stepped in Wrigley was around 1951 for a Rodeo, I remember that The Cisco Kid and Poncho were the star attraction of the show. We moved to Rogers Park in 1953 and saw my first game at Wrigley in 1955 against the Cards. It was about 2 weeks after my first Sox game at Comiskey, both games were on bus rides from the YMCA. As a youngster starting when I was 11 years old my friends and I took in many games at Wrigley because of day baseball and it was easy to get to from Rogers Park on the El. Not once did I root for the Flubs. We could sit anywhere in those days, bought a General Admission ticket for a buck and would be sitting in the box seats by the 4th inning. All the games I went to the upper deck was always closed except for one game against the Braves around 1958. 1962 came along and I got a job as a vendor at all the sports venues in Chicago, Wrigley was horrible, was lucky if I made 7 bucks while at Sox park I could haul down 20 bucks with a little bit of hustle. Not once in those days did I ever dream that Wrigley and the neighborhood would turn into a Cash Cow and a must destination for visitors to Chicago. Last game I saw at Wrigley was 1985 and needed a baseball fix so I took my son to a game on the train from Wheaton to the loop and then the EL and saw the Cubs lose another one to the Cards.
The one thing about Wrigley that I loved was that it was a great place to watch the Bears, hardly missed a game there from 1959 to 1962. You were right on top of the action as they put up those temp seats in right field and the field was really squeezed in running north to south. The end zones were only 8 yards instead of the normal 10.
Hope I didn't bore anyone to death but I do have some fond memories of the dump and thought I would pass them along.
Not bored at all and btw I hope you had a nice one today. Now my turn to put some to sleep.

Mid to late 60's my mother worked near belmont and clark so my father would pick her up from work. Sometimes I would go with him. On occasion if traffic was good my dad would stop at Henrys across from cubs park to get a shake. Sometimes we used to just drive around the park, when games werent being played. On occasion there were houses on waveland or sheffield for sale and the old man used to always say "Who the hell would want to live across the street from this park". I asked how much those houses cost, he said maybe 20-25k but he wouldnt give them 10. A keen eye for real estate the old man had.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Not bored at all and btw I hope you had a nice one today. Now my turn to put some to sleep.

Mid to late 60's my mother worked near belmont and clark so my father would pick her up from work. Sometimes I would go with him. On occasion if traffic was good my dad would stop at Henrys across from cubs park to get a shake. Sometimes we used to just drive around the park, when games werent being played. On occasion there were houses on waveland or sheffield for sale and the old man used to always say "Who the hell would want to live across the street from this park". I asked how much those houses cost, he said maybe 20-25k but he wouldnt give them 10. A keen eye for real estate the old man had.
Your dad would not have been the only one, who would have thunk it.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Nice read, but Koufax had only nine saves in his career, odds are none of them were at Wiggley.

Typical Cub fans, they just don't know the game of baseball.

All hail The Rick
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Not boring at all. I mentioned the Clovis Indians in the thread about BP. I wouldn't doubt if that glazed a few eyeballs. I was wondering. Did you happen to go to the Bears/Steelers game on Dec. 6, 1959? Bears QB Ed Brown had a hot hand in the first half but the Steelers mounted a furious comeback in the second half and fell short 27-21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post

The Lincoln Park neighborhood got the gentrificiation ball rolling on the lakefront north side in the late 60's. I seem to recall a Lerner newspaper article around 1973 that quoted a real estate agent saying it was only the beginning of the trend. He complained that he hadn't been ready for the initial wave but he would now be primed to take advantage in the future. In 1966 there was another Lerner paper article that stated if you had a home anywhere east of Western Ave your property values were sure to drop. My how things have changed. Most folks were like your dad and just didn't see it coming. This was in an era when middle class families were rocketing to the suburbs, and that is what most people were seeing. Decline almost everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Nice read, but Koufax had only nine saves in his career, odds are none of them were at Wiggley.

I was thinking it was a hypothetical written by someone weak in baseball history.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I was thinking it was a hypothetical written by someone weak in baseball history.
The writer is undoubtedly referring to this, actual specific game... September 1965, 550 people in attendance, Koufax gets the save for the Dodgers:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96509160.shtml

I'm going to guess he was one of those 550 and that the "hypotheticals" he's referring to actually happened.

**** guys, it's so easy to check this stuff.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The writer is undoubtedly referring to this, actual specific game... September 1965, 550 people in attendance, Koufax gets the save for the Dodgers:

I'm going to guess he was one of those 550 and that the "hypotheticals" he's referring to actually happened.

I was ready to slam that piece of the article, too, but then took the (literally) 60-90 seconds to find the same thing doubs did.

Ass-u-me.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Where's the embarrassed emoticon? I looked it up and flat out missed it. Oh well E-me.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Where's the embarrassed emoticon? I looked it up and flat out missed it. Oh well E-me.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Good article. My boring story involves my dad. He lived at Ashland and Grace for a couple years in the 1950's, in the apartment that's right above what is now Ginger's Ale House, and then, years later, in the early-mid 60's, he and my grandparents bought a house on Berteau, about 8 houses from the corner of Clark, and he lived there until he got married. (My grandma sold the house in 1977 after my grandfather had died). Looking back on it now, that house and property is worth close to $1 million. Amazing.

Anyway, he always told me that that neighborhood was just a regular working class neighborhood, not the Disney World/Mardi Gras north it is now. He had neighbors that took him to a few Cubs games, telling him how great it was. But what he remembers was that they always lost, and that the park was not close to full, and you could walk up and get tickets on game day. (This is how he became a Sox fan as a kid,- they were always that "other team" in that far away place called "the south side". He was always curious and wanted to go to a Sox game, but nobody would take him. One day he said someone did give him a Sox hat, and a yellow t-shirt that had the roster of the '59 Sox on it printed in red, and from that moment forward, he was a Sox fan. )

I've posted before that I'm old enough to remember going to Cubs games as a kid in the 70's and early 80's, and like my dad, remember it just being another regular working class neighborhood, not the destination it is now. The Tribune bought the Cubs in 1981, but it was definitely 1984 when somebody flipped a switch. The difference in that whole area from 1982-83 to 1984 was like night and day.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Definition of an invalid argument right there.