White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Lids.com is having a sale today. The old caps are $10. You can have them shipped to a lids store for free pickup.
Thanks for the heads up. I just checked the site and they don't have the Blue Jays BP cap listed. They show about 25 other MLB BP caps for $10.00, but not the Blue Jays.

Edit - found it, however I had to perform a Google search to get me to it on the Lids website. It wasn't in the Toronto Blue Jays section or in the MLB section. However, it looks like there are no sizes available. Might be sold out.

http://www.lids.com/MLB/Toronto-Blue-Jays/20374215

Last edited by Red Barchetta; 01-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 PM
WSI Guru

So, wow, did Major League Baseball screw these up. Giant crown instead of the low-profile crown of the last 10 years. Flat brim instead of the curved-style. The SOX logo isn't the raised sewn lettering that looks three-dimensional, but instead it looks like a iron-on patch with a weird thick black outline around it.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
So, wow, did Major League Baseball screw these up. Giant crown instead of the low-profile crown of the last 10 years. Flat brim instead of the curved-style. The SOX logo isn't the raised sewn lettering that looks three-dimensional, but instead it looks like a iron-on patch with a weird thick black outline around it.

Yeah, I'm not liking the fact that the ST/BP caps are now the 59Fifty, fitted caps. I liked the 39/Thirty stretch caps that they have had over the past few seasons. They have a lower crown and fit my head better, even though I wasn't crazy about the last two styles. I really like the style of the 2013 cap, but was hoping it would be a 39/Thirty. Plus the new caps are $34.99!!!!

FYI, mlb.com is having a sale on the 2012 BP caps. They are regularly $27.99, but today they are only $9.99! I just scored the 2012 Blue Jays cap that I wanted after finding out that they switched to the red maple leaf for their 2013 ST/BP cap. I really like their Blue Jay head logo. Obviously limited to current stock and not all teams are available.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

While I agree they are ugly as hell, MLB didn't screw anything up. Not sure if you've noticed but those "box" style hats with a flat brim are all people are wearing now, along with the obnoxious sticker still on the hat.

As long as they keep a banner 47 brand option as a hat for me to buy I'll be happy.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
While I agree they are ugly as hell, MLB didn't screw anything up. Not sure if you've noticed but those "box" style hats with a flat brim are all people are wearing now, along with the obnoxious sticker still on the hat.

As long as they keep a banner 47 brand option as a hat for me to buy I'll be happy.
Funny, because I was discussing this with a friend of mine the other day. We noticed a lot of guys now where sports caps to match up with their wardrobe. They may not be a SOX fan, but want a Gray/Black SOX cap to match up with their Gray/Black track suit.

I saw a guy the other day dressed out completely in North Carolina team colors and then saw the same guy the next day dressed up in Cincinnati Reds Black/Red. Both times, with the flat, square-ish brim with the New Era stickers still on. Is that a fashion trend or do they just tuck in the price tag return the cap after a few weeks for a refund?

Then there are the actual team fans who just want a nice, comfortable cap. I remember when the SOX introduced their current black cap the final season in Old Comiskey. I think I wore that cap every day for one year straight as I liked it that much! It was the old wool material with the gray under bill and it had the lower crown compared to the retail New Era 59/Fifty caps they sell today. It fit great.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
Funny, because I was discussing this with a friend of mine the other day. We noticed a lot of guys now where sports caps to match up with their wardrobe. They may not be a SOX fan, but want a Gray/Black SOX cap to match up with their Gray/Black track suit.

I saw a guy the other day dressed out completely in North Carolina team colors and then saw the same guy the next day dressed up in Cincinnati Reds Black/Red. Both times, with the flat, square-ish brim with the New Era stickers still on. Is that a fashion trend or do they just tuck in the price tag return the cap after a few weeks for a refund?
I saw a guy wearing a Cubs t shirt and a Brewers cap one day at ISU...

And yes, New Era stickers are a fashion trend...a relatively long-lived one, actually. I think that started at least six years ago or so. I've seen a couple of people wearing older caps that still have their tags on them...which is hilarious.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

First off, that's not a flat brim, that's just how it looks in the picture. It's the same brim that is on their game caps, and it can be easily bent.

As for the logo, they white area is the same material as the rest of the cap, and of course it is sewn on with the black border. This is what Adidas started doing with the numbers on NBA jerseys last year. It is basically a marketing ploy to sell products by saying "we got the item 0.47% lighter and it wicks sweat 3.1% faster." I doubt anybody is going to feel a relief from the strained neck that was caused by the quarter-ounce of that bulky logo emboidery, but whatever. I still have the hat style they wore from 2004-2006, which is basically this with a normal logo (and possibly a lower crown), so I won't be paying $35 for this anyway.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM
WSI Guru

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
First off, that's not a flat brim, that's just how it looks in the picture. It's the same brim that is on their game caps, and it can be easily bent.
It sounds like you don't own any of these hats or have never worn them. The last three versions of the BP hat had a pre-molded curve to the bill. That's how they were sold at the stores brand new. This hat as pictured, and sold, has the bull**** flat brim that you can wear like Josh Fields and Edwin Jackson.

Its just my opinion of course, and anyone can disagree with me, but this style and design is inferior. I loved the last three BP hats with low profiles, curved bills and raised stitched logos.

Then again I'm shocked that MLB is selling mesh trucker caps and snapback hats. Just not a good look Imo.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It sounds like you don't own any of these hats or have never worn them. The last three versions of the BP hat had a pre-molded curve to the bill. That's how they were sold at the stores brand new. This hat as pictured, and sold, has the bull**** flat brim that you can wear like Josh Fields and Edwin Jackson.

Its just my opinion of course, and anyone can disagree with me, but this style and design is inferior. I loved the last three BP hats with low profiles, curved bills and raised stitched logos.

Then again I'm shocked that MLB is selling mesh trucker caps and snapback hats. Just not a good look Imo.
I own several game caps and, like I said, have the 04-06 BP cap which looks like this one (and I think that was three caps ago). The previous BP caps were the 3930 which had a lower crown, and while the bill came more curved, it wasn't different design wise from the games caps, the 5950s. They always ship the 5950s with flat brims. However, the huge majority of fans and players have no problem curving the brims on the game caps. So you might not like the logo application on this cap (I don't) and you might not like the high crown, but the bill is going to be the same as the previous BP caps when you break it in.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I really liked the fit of the 39/Thirty BP caps as well. I just didn't like the previous designs with the ear fenders and two-toned bills. That's why I was excited when I saw the design of the new caps. Now I'm just as disappointed that they are the fitted, 59/Fifty caps with the higher crown.

I get the whole fashion craze and it's nice that they offer a wide selection of "fashion caps" for people who want that kind of stuff, however I'm disappointed that I don't like the fit of the actual New Era caps "worn by the players on the field". It never used to be like that as the original wool caps used to fit great. Now I find the replica caps, Nike, etc. with the stretch fit or velcro tap actually fit and look better on my head than the "pro" versions.

Last edited by Red Barchetta; 02-15-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
WSI Personality

I really like this new hat out, it's a late 70's early 80's style. Comiskey Park patch on side, fitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hwlCAYRTZ8L.jpg (18.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 PM
WSI Personality

I just noticed a new 39 THIRTY style "Spring Tech" cap at Lids.com. It looks like an updated version of the last two previous BP caps (2007-2008, 2010-12).

Looking at it online, I think it may have potential, but I'll reserve full judgement until I see it in person.

http://www.lids.com/MLB/Chicago-White-Sox/20466021
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sox-cap-spring-training-2013.jpg (21.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post

Really, I think they are sweet looking. What's wrong with them, I wish the Sox would keep the grey bills at least for some games.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Anyone try these on for size yet?

I'm in the market for one of these and I'd like some feedback on the fit, fabric, and comfort before I spend $36 bucks on a cap I might not like.

I was a big fan of the fit and fabric of the 3930 BP caps from the last several years and I'd like to know how these new ones compare.

I'm hoping they're not like the giant mushroom top Authentic game 5950 caps.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
Really, I think they are sweet looking. What's wrong with them, I wish the Sox would keep the grey bills at least for some games.
The description on the lids website says that the new BP caps could be worn for select regular season games.