White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #256  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
Look, Munch, there is a gigantic difference between "might miss some time" and "likely to miss a month". You went from might to will, from some time to an entire month. You made two huge leaps in one statement. Also, you didn't present it as your opinion, you presented it as FACT.
No, I'm not making the statement based on "might miss some time". I'm making it based on lots of things, including published statements like "might miss most or all of 2013", Mark Gonzalez last October, December, and again in mid-January.

It's not a leap. It's only a leap because of who it came from. It's personal, and it's trolling. I don't appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:49 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
People asking you for proof to back up your assertion that Danks is "likely to miss the first month of the season" is not trolling, and it isn't a personal attack. You make an argument around here and people will ask for proof. And when you fail to provide it by wagging the dog and calling people "trolls" and cry wolf over "personal attacks", the critique gets stronger. With the positions you take, maybe you should grow thicker skin.

Now, I'm sure you'll post now how you're being made the bad guy, trolled, misunderstood, what have you. But something you need to consider is this...there has been NO ONE that has defended you or your position. You are the only one on that ledge. Maybe the people critiquing you aren't the ones with reading comprehension issues.
You're all coming at it from a hateful perspective. It is trolling because you are unwilling to accept that several sources might lead to likely conclusions. It happens all the time here, and no one says anything because it is based in reason. But I do it, someone calls me a liar, and I'm lambasted for defending my right to draw legitimate conclusions, which by the way are VERY OPTIMISTIC?

It's really hard not to consider what you're doing as trolling. No one else has to deal with this ****.

edit: oh and I can't wait for someone to legitimatize it because I deserve it or something. like that isn't the definition of personal.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Munch, you used to be better at this back in the day.

Also, if:
Danks does miss a month,
Viciedo doesn't improve, at all,
Detroit does beat the Sox by 25 games,
Derrick Rose doesn't return by year's end,
and The Miami Heat do annihilate the Bulls without a fight...


you might actually be the subject of personal attacks around here, not just imaginary ones.
This is funny. Most of those things are very likely. Though I wouldn't have thought Rose would miss the whole year until today, when he said it was possible. And now the Heat are unlikely to annihilate the Bulls in the playoffs. Because without Rose, they'd never get to that game.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. I'm going out. Try not to beat up on me too much while I'm gone.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 PM
TheOldRoman TheOldRoman is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
No, I'm not making the statement based on "might miss some time". I'm making it based on lots of things, including published statements like "might miss most or all of 2013", Mark Gonzalez last October, December, and again in mid-January.

It's not a leap. It's only a leap because of who it came from. It's personal, and it's trolling. I don't appreciate it.
August 6th, the DAY after his surgery:

CHICAGO -- Chicago White Sox pitcher John Danks had surgery on his left shoulder on Monday, and the team expects him to be ready for the start of spring training.

Please provide sources saying Danks might miss most or all of 2013. I beg of you.
__________________
In Kenny We Trust 7/31/05
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
August 6th, the DAY after his surgery:

CHICAGO -- Chicago White Sox pitcher John Danks had surgery on his left shoulder on Monday, and the team expects him to be ready for the start of spring training.

Please provide sources saying Danks might miss most or all of 2013. I beg of you.
You mean other than Don Cooper, several times this off-season while discussing the need to keep both Santiago and Quintana?

I don't subscribe to the Tribune online, but Mark Gonzalez mentioned this a few times this offseason.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Whitesox029 Whitesox029 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, in enemy territory
Posts: 2,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
By the technical definition, yes, if you take what you say as the case in each situation, but the analogy is horrible because your first example is a terrible one. No one in the first situation would "forget to consider" that a die only has 6 whole numbers. The relevant statistic is that there is a 1/6 chance that any number will come up on any roll. An average number there has zero bearing at all on prediction of results. Thus, you are saying two non-analogous situations are analogous.
It's supposed to be hypothetical. Of course no one is that stupid. If you can't see past that, then let's say the person chooses 3 or 4 every time because they are "closer to the average". Honestly, I should not have even used another example involving numbers because it caused everyone reading it to not be able to see the forest for the trees. The analogy was meant to be much broader. Let's try this again. Relying on PECOTA is like a person sitting in an airport all last week, noticing a pattern in the arriving flights, and then attempting to predict when the next flight from Boston will land on Friday evening, all the while forgetting to take into account that there is a huge blizzard in Boston. Just like the person with the die forgetting the rule that an arithmetic mean doesn't predict the next roll, or the person who perhaps assumes that Robin Ventura's inexperience automatically makes him a worse manager than Ozzie Guillen would have been in 2012, thereby underestimating the White Sox for that season. That person has forgotten that Guillen had a downside despite his experience and familiarity with the club. The theme is "person forgets to take something into account; gets his prediction wrong". Don't call the analogy bad just because you fail to read it with the proper perspective.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount prospect
Posts: 4,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
No, I'm not making the statement based on "might miss some time". I'm making it based on lots of things, including published statements like "might miss most or all of 2013", Mark Gonzalez last October, December, and again in mid-January.

It's not a leap. It's only a leap because of who it came from. It's personal, and it's trolling. I don't appreciate it.
I just did a search on his Twitter timeline and searched google for articles written about Danks by Gonzales and I can't find any that mention what you stated. Not a single article or tweet by Mark Gonzales from Oct-January where he states Danks might miss most or all of 2013. You say people are trolling you, then defend your position. Provide links. I shouldn't have to go and find the supposed evidence myself. You make a statement you need to be able to back that statement up otherwise no one will take anything you say seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
I just did a search on his Twitter timeline and searched google for articles written about Danks by Gonzales and I can't find any that mention what you stated. Not a single article or tweet by Mark Gonzales from Oct-January where he states Danks might miss most or all of 2013. You say people are trolling you, then defend your position. Provide links. I shouldn't have to go and find the supposed evidence myself. You make a statement you need to be able to back that statement up otherwise no one will take anything you say seriously.
I'm so sick of this attitude. Like everyone here doesn't already read the Tribune and I'd just lie about it.

I don't have online access to the Tribune. I don't pay for it.

But a ten second Google search pulled up a damn video of Cooper saying it. http://www.herald-mail.com/videogall...gery,-rotation

And that's enough. I'm out of the thread. I'm sick of being disrespected.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,567
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I'm so sick of this attitude. Like everyone here doesn't already read the Tribune and I'd just lie about it.

I don't have online access to the Tribune. I don't pay for it.

But a ten second Google search pulled up a damn video of Cooper saying it. http://www.herald-mail.com/videogall...gery,-rotation

And that's enough. I'm out of the thread. I'm sick of being disrespected.
Wow if you'd produced that video 3 hours ago, all of this could have been avoided.

Edit: any "disrepect" you have received is purely a function of you stonewalling on linking your sources. Now I haven't watched that video so I will take you at face value that it says what you say it does. Next time, take the 5 minutes from defending your precious honor and provide a link and maybe you won't suffer so badly from those disrespectful people asking for your evidence...

Edit 2: for me linky no worky...
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM
sullythered sullythered is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Oak Lawn, IL
Posts: 4,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
POTW material right here.
__________________
And on the 8th day, God created churros.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Wow if you'd produced that video 3 hours ago, all of this could have been avoided.

Edit: any "disrepect" you have received is purely a function of you stonewalling on linking your sources. Now I haven't watched that video so I will take you at face value that it says what you say it does. Next time, take the 5 minutes from defending your precious honor and provide a link and maybe you won't suffer so badly from those disrespectful people asking for your evidence...

Edit 2: for me linky no worky...
One problem, the video is from July 31st. About a week before Danks' underwent exploratory surgery. So the Sox had no idea the extent of the injury. And the video doesn't work, but there's his proof. He has to be screwing around.

Last edited by dickallen15; 02-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,567
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
One problem, the video is from July 31st. About a week before Danks' underwent exploratory surgery. So the Sox had no idea the extent of the injury.
That's what I was wondering about. I went to check the date but couldn't get it to load.
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 PM
tstrike2000 tstrike2000 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 'Burbs
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
You mean other than Don Cooper, several times this off-season while discussing the need to keep both Santiago and Quintana?

I don't subscribe to the Tribune online, but Mark Gonzalez mentioned this a few times this offseason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I'm so sick of this attitude. Like everyone here doesn't already read the Tribune and I'd just lie about it.

I don't have online access to the Tribune. I don't pay for it.

But a ten second Google search pulled up a damn video of Cooper saying it. http://www.herald-mail.com/videogall...gery,-rotation

And that's enough. I'm out of the thread. I'm sick of being disrespected.
Hey, at 4:57 pm you said you were going out.
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,743
Default

We won't know about Danks until he actually sees some live action. Too often we've seen pitchers fizzle out after shoulder surgery. I pray that doesn't happen to Danks, but you never know.
Here's something a little more optimistic and recent from Danks, Cooper and Ventura.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

In my 8 years (geez, it's been that long) on this site. No one poster has done a better job of giving everyone else ammo and putting a target on themselves, by making outlandish claims with very little evidence or merit, then complaining when everybody fires and calls you out on said claims, than you Munch. It's not really my business in asking if you get some kind of pleasure out of doing this over and over again.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.