White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post

This is pretty interesting stuff.

The difference in injuries compared the rest of baseball is pretty amazing.
I also thought that was a great article. In this case, stats support what many of us concluded based on observation; since the 2005 season the Sox get solid starting pitching that generally stays healthy. Sabermetric predictions don't factor this into formulae, and we fans may tend to overrate our pitching, which can account for the differences between BP projections and our own prognostications.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I also thought that was a great article. In this case, stats support what many of us concluded based on observation; since the 2005 season the Sox get solid starting pitching that generally stays healthy. Sabermetric predictions don't factor this into formulae, and we fans may tend to overrate our pitching, which can account for the differences between BP projections and our own prognostications.
I thought it was a great article as well. It illuminated several points that add to both sides of the debate.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
You might be right about the Sox . Maybe someone can give a list of players that are even close to being ready to come up.
You just did!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I thought it was a great article as well. It illuminated several points that add to both sides of the debate.
I don't see how it's possible to read that as anything other than a complete ass kicking of the anti-BP crowd, but whatevs
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't see how it's possible to read that as anything other than a complete ass kicking of the anti-BP crowd, but whatevs
Well, perhaps because the writer clearly states why BP has been very consistently wrong about the Sox. It pretty nicely illustrates why a team like the Sox (while unique in the league) does certain things that expose flaws in the system. It also makes clear why Sox fans have the most reason of any fans in the league to be critical of BP.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Well, perhaps because the writer clearly states why BP has been very consistently wrong about the Sox. It pretty nicely illustrates why a team like the Sox (while unique in the league) does certain things that expose flaws in the system. It also makes clear why Sox fans have the most reason of any fans in the league to be critical of BP.

All you picked out of that was the surface argument?

After random chance, we've only outperformed their model by 5 games/year. It's really not all THAT significant. Outperforming their model by 5 games this year would make us .500. Clearly not all that significant.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

After random chance, we've only outperformed their model by 5 games/year. It's really not all THAT significant. Outperforming their model by 5 games this year would make us .500. Clearly not all that significant.
Considering you have been saying the Tigers are a threat for 116 wins, wouldn't you say their PECOTA projection of 92 is a bit off? How are you defending a system you personally think is 24 games off?

I personally like BP, but don't take these projections too seriously. If you go back, some are accurate, others are not. They get a couple playoff teams right. A couple of last place teams wind up in the post season. People should just take them for what they are.

Last edited by dickallen15; 02-19-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Please read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Exactly. If anything, it is the opposite of a "complete ass kicking of the anti-BP crowd" (which, by the way, consists of only a few of those who ridicule BP's projections in this context, not necessarily BP as a whole).
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Considering you have been saying the Tigers are a threat for 116 wins, wouldn't you say their PECOTA projection of 92 is a bit off? How are you defending a system you personally think is 24 games off?

I personally like BP, but don't take these projections too seriously. If you go back, some are accurate, others are not. They get a couple playoff teams right. A couple of last place teams wind up in the post season. People should just take them for what they are.
Oh for the love of God. I don't think the Tigers are going to win 116 games. But they CAN win that many. I do feel 92 is awfully low. But the idea is there. I'm less concerned with the totals than I am where they are in relation to other teams. For instance, they have the Tigers 15 games better than us. I think that's pretty fair.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
No it's a defense of Pecota projections if done correctly. BP's model obviously doesn't factor in enough variables, so it's not a defense of BP but a simple statement that given enough variables it might be possible to make more accurate projections team by team.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
No it's a defense of Pecota projections if done correctly. BP's model obviously doesn't factor in enough variables, so it's not a defense of BP but a simple statement that given enough variables it might be possible to make more accurate projections team by team.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Oh for the love of God. I don't think the Tigers are going to win 116 games. But they CAN win that many. I do feel 92 is awfully low. But the idea is there. I'm less concerned with the totals than I am where they are in relation to other teams. For instance, they have the Tigers 15 games better than us. I think that's pretty fair.
So if you think 92 is low for the Tigers and say 15 games is fair, you do admit the 77 for the Sox is low, and if 15 games is fair, if the Tigers could win 116, I believe you said they even could win more, it's not so crazy to think the Sox could win 101, correct?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
So if you think 92 is low for the Tigers and say 15 games is fair, you do admit the 77 for the Sox is low, and if 15 games is fair, if the Tigers could win 116, I believe you said they even could win more, it's not so crazy to think the Sox could win 101, correct?
Now, now, don't confuse him.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
No. I think it's more likely we win 60 than 100. Not that either is likely.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

The writer himself says that BP has been particularly and significantly wrong when it comes to the White Sox. He then proceeds to tell us why. The reasons given are exactly why whole team projections are really just for fun, and not very useful, as opposed to specific player projections. There are too many variables to project an entire team's success as anything other than a fun little exercise. Meaningless, and not useful to anyone. Not even gamblers, really.