White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 02:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Then that is taking a *very* shortsighted look at a model that necessarily requires a review of all its predictions and numbers across all of baseball to evaluate. You're basically admitting to cherry-picking.

By the way, I'm not defending BP, just logic.
I'm talking about the Sox, particularly, because that is the forum we are in. If the discussion were elsewhere, then it would be a different discussion (I do find PECOTA flawed, as far as full-team projections go, league-wide).
Old 02-19-2013, 02:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Gee, I must have missed those posts.
When you can't make a point, it's best to resort to hyperbole and constructing strawmen. That's what "intellectuals" do.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM
WSI High Priest

2012 PECOTA had 12teams projected correctly within 5 games, had 12 teams projections off by at least 10 (including the Sox who were at 10). There were 2 right on, and 5 missed by at least 16. The average the W-L were off in the AL was 8.86, and in the NL 8.06. Overall average off by 8.43 games.

It sparks a lot of debate, but good or bad for the team you are pulling for, it's really no more accurate in the end than the posts in the preseason prediction threads. We all know which teams have the best players. If you don't have a roster full of players that have been consistently successful, PECOTA isn't going to rate you that high.

Last edited by dickallen15; 02-19-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
2012 PECOTA had 12teams projected correctly within 5 games, had 12 teams projections off by at least 10 (including the Sox who were at 10). There were 2 right on, and 5 missed by at least 16. The average the W-L were off in the AL was 8.86, and in the NL 8.06. Overall average off by 8.43 games.

It sparks a lot of debate, but good or bad for the team you are pulling for, it's really no more accurate in the end than the posts in the preseason prediction threads.

PECOTA does not project wins and losses. It projects runs scored and runs allowed. I cannot for the life of me figure out which of those two sentences you guys cannot comprehend.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay

Last edited by doublem23; 02-19-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
PECOTA does not project wins and losses. Its projects runs scored and runs allowed. I cannot for the life of me figure out which of those two sentences you guys cannot comprehend.
THE GAMES AREN'T PLAYED ON PAPER, DAMNIT!

There is no point to projections, as before the games are played, every team has a similar chance of winning the World Series. I don't know how people here can predict the Astros to lose 100 games until they do lose 100 games.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-19-2013, 03:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

PECOTA does not project wins and losses. Its projects runs scored and runs allowed. I cannot for the life of me figure out which of those two sentences you guys cannot comprehend.
And then projects wins and losses. The debate was how off they have been about the White Sox. The fact is, their projection was a bit off on the White Sox last year, and there were 11 teams that they were at least as "off on their projection" as they were on the White Sox. So for the guys that want the Sox to suck, and there are a couple on here, it's really no reason to puff out their chests with pride just yet.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
And then projects wins and losses.
No, you can easily turn RS/RA into W-L with the Pythagorean W-L formula but the actual data is in RS/RA
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
No, you can easily turn RS/RA into W-L with the Pythagorean W-L formula but the actual data is in RS/RA
Then they are converting it. This entire argument has been about how off they have been about the White Sox projected win totals.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

PECOTA does not project wins and losses. It projects runs scored and runs allowed. I cannot for the life of me figure out which of those two sentences you guys cannot comprehend.
Which is, of course, why BP presents their projections in terms of wins and losses instead of just runs scored and runs allowed.

As has been continually noted by those, including me, who express ridicule of BP's consistently wrong guesses with regard to the Sox's record, that should not be taken as an indictment of BP as a whole. They seem to generally do exceptional work, but for whatever (not subjective, IMO) reasons, BP generally fails to properly evaluate the Sox before the season is played out, at least in its application of PECOTA.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Isn't that exactly the point we're arguing? That converting PECOTA is not a very accurate system when it comes to W-L? This thread is about the BP projection for the White Sox W-L record.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Then they are converting it. This entire argument has been about how off they have been about the White Sox projected win totals.
I would assume they do it as a courtesy to people since the Pythagorean W-L forumla is pretty standard knowlegde amongst the baseball community and it presents the data in an easily digestable format.

The best analogy I can think of off the top of my head are bakers. Most professional bakers measure ingredients in weight (100 grams of flour), not the volume that you're used to seeing in cookbooks designed for everyday chums like you and me, because it's just easier and more accessable for most people. The conversions are pretty commonplace, but if you're operating in the world of professional cooking, you're not using cups and tablespoons to create the recipes, only translating at the very end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Which is, of course, why BP presents their projections in terms of wins and losses instead of just runs scored and runs allowed.

As has been continually noted by those, including me, who express ridicule of BP's consistently wrong guesses with regard to the Sox's record, that should not be taken as an indictment of BP as a whole. They seem to generally do exceptional work, but for whatever (not subjective, IMO) reasons, BP generally fails to properly evaluate the Sox before the season is played out, at least in its application of PECOTA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Isn't that exactly the point we're arguing? That converting PECOTA is not a very accurate system when it comes to W-L? This thread is about the BP projection for the White Sox W-L record.
It's an important distinction to make for no other reason than for someone to make an accurate critique of their success or failures based on the PECOTA system, it would be measured against actual RS/RA output since, again, that is what PECOTA actually projects. If you're judging the model against W-L, well, it kind of underlines the fact that you're out of your league.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

If people knew how weather was predicted they would lose their ****.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I would assume they do it as a courtesy to people since the Pythagorean W-L forumla is pretty standard knowlegde amongst the baseball community and it presents the data in an easily digestable format.

It's an important distinction to make for no other reason than for someone to make an accurate critique of their success or failures based on the PECOTA system, it would be measured against actual RS/RA output since, again, that is what PECOTA actually projects. If you're judging the model against W-L, well, it kind of underlines the fact that you're out of your league.
What fact does it underline for those who use PECOTA's RS/RA projections to publish actual W/L projections?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Then BP should not project wins, at all. They should only publish projections on RS/RA, so as to avoid confusion.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Official Professor

Quote:

If BP doesn't think that using the PECOTA projected RS/RA to plug into Pythagorean W/L, then they should say so, and certainly not do it themselves. Since they do it, that seems to say they think it's a legitimate thing to do.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)