White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
I'm glad I discovered the green line a few years ago. Easier access to Metra line, and it's much less congested.
No kidding. We use the green line frequently. Much less crowded, especially postgame.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Track conditions.
A jarring, scary ride like a cheap roller coaster. Fix those tracks!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Green line is a fine substitute....just don't take it South from 35th by mistake. In fact I think this impacts the University of Chicago worse....the Green Line Garfield stop IS much sketchier than the Red Line Garfield stop.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:22 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofCSoxFan View Post
Green line is a fine substitute....just don't take it South from 35th by mistake. In fact I think this impacts the University of Chicago worse....the Green Line Garfield stop IS much sketchier than the Red Line Garfield stop.
Do many U of C students use the El? Both stops are a bit west of Hyde Park with some of the most violent areas of Chicago in between. One of my best friends, a U of C grad student, has a bus that happens to stop right in front of her apartment and gets downtown quicker than any train line, anyway. And my aunt takes the South Shore line to work in the Loop every day.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofCSoxFan View Post
I don't really have a reason to go south of 35th anyway... My my friend once fell asleep on the red line and ended up at 95th st. Let's just say he didn't have his wallet when he came home.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
I don't really have a reason to go south of 35th anyway... My my friend once fell asleep on the red line and ended up at 95th st. Let's just say he didn't have his wallet when he came home.
I've taken it to 95th several times, then jump on either the 95W or 389 Pace Bus. Never had a problem, and I sit in the front car. Now that I can take Metra to the Sox games, though, the closing of the Red Line has little- to no impact on me.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM
MMXXIII

Icon9

Bumping an old thread, but the timelines have been officially released by the CTA.

Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line closes May 19 and is scheduled to reopen October 19 just in time for the World Series.

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/ct...,1500109.story
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Bumping an old thread, but the timelines have been officially released by the CTA.

Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line closes May 19 and is scheduled to reopen October 19 just in time for the World Series.

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/ct...,1500109.story
Go Green Line, as the slogan once said.

Can't wait for those 10k crowds when other people think there is no longer a convenient way to get down there.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
WSI Personality

The thing I don't understand is why doesn't it make more sense for them to work north to south and open up stations the further south the construction goes? It would seem that way it would be easier to run shuttle busses between closed stations by hopping on and off the Dan Ryan.

Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:14 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post
The thing I don't understand is why doesn't it make more sense for them to work north to south and open up stations the further south the construction goes? It would seem that way it would be easier to run shuttle busses between closed stations by hopping on and off the Dan Ryan.

That might be more trouble than it's worth, plus you can't turn a train around everywhere, there might not be a switch after every stop.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Do many U of C students use the El? Both stops are a bit west of Hyde Park with some of the most violent areas of Chicago in between. One of my best friends, a U of C grad student, has a bus that happens to stop right in front of her apartment and gets downtown quicker than any train line, anyway. And my aunt takes the South Shore line to work in the Loop every day.
Plenty of students take the 55 bus to Green or Red line. There are other buses that go downtown, but buses are subject to traffic in ways that trains are not.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post

They considered that, but realized it would take a few years to complete. This would get it all done at once.

All hail The Rick
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
They considered that, but realized it would take a few years to complete. This would get it all done at once.
This needs to happen. I've ridden almost every inch of L track in this town and I can positively say the Red Line south of the subway if the absolute worst.