White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
WSI Personality

I enjoy listening to Hawk. I know he's a big homer, and he can get sidetracked with his rants, but he entertains me.

I don't need a serious baseball guy who just describes the action.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hate Me View Post
When it comes to Baby First TV characters I'm thinking the creators of VocabuLarry were inspired by Hawk Harrelson.
When you think about it, Hawk and Steve should watch Baby First TV. They could learn a lot.

Shows like Fred and Fiona could teach them about team work. Sammy and Eve Squirrel could do it as well.

Since Hawk likes to be heard with new words, he can watch Shushybye Baby. He would learn the word wondrous.

Then of course, there is Yo Yo and Peanut. Since Hawk sounds like a clown most of the time, kind of fitting.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I'm a big Shulman fan--both baseball and NBA. He and Hershiser would be the best national team in the game if they'd stop with the extraneous third man in the booth (if you haven't heard, this year it's John Kruk)

PS--he signed an extension at ESPN last year. He's their #1 baseball voice AND does other sports. Why would he come to the White Sox?
It's just a nightmare I have. I don't think he ever would come to the Sox. He's almost a really good announcer, but....it's ""David Wright", not ""Davida Wright, and its "inning" not "idding". Way too many extra syllables and overly hard consonants. Drives me crazy. I'd prefer nails on a chalkboard.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog1017 View Post
I enjoy listening to Hawk. I know he's a big homer, and he can get sidetracked with his rants, but he entertains me.

I don't need a serious baseball guy who just describes the action.
Being a displaced White Sox fan down in Kentucky, I love to hear Hawk too. I understand people getting turned off by him but I'm surprised by all the talk about Farmer & DJ, I really enjoy listening to them on the radio. Probably more to do with missing Chicago, but I think they do a good job.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
When you think about it, Hawk and Steve should watch Baby First TV. They could learn a lot.

Shows like Fred and Fiona could teach them about team work. Sammy and Eve Squirrel could do it as well.

Since Hawk likes to be heard with new words, he can watch Shushybye Baby. He would learn the word wondrous.

Then of course, there is Yo Yo and Peanut. Since Hawk sounds like a clown most of the time, kind of fitting.
From now on I'm going to refer to Hawk's late inning silent stretches as "Shushybye Babies".
Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Anyone see today's Sun-Times piece about them? Nice to see them reemphasize that there'll be a different broadcasting style this year. Hope we can really get the most out of two former players-turned-broadcasters. Anything would be a step up from recently.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Anyone see today's Sun-Times piece about them? Nice to see them reemphasize that there'll be a different broadcasting style this year. Hope we can really get the most out of two former players-turned-broadcasters. Anything would be a step up from recently.
Here is a link to the Sun Times article for those who have yet to read it:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/18810...-resolved.html
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn
Here's the funny thing: I think Ed Farmer is just terrible no matter the situation. He was terrible as the color man for John Rooney, and he's terrible as the PBP man in the booth. DJ on the other hand is gret IMO when he does National broadcasts on Fox. I think with Hawk, he was just overwhelmed by Hawk's huge ego and just wasn't comfortable with him. With Farmer, it is what is is. I just think he needs to be with someone he can be comfotable with, because on the National broadcasts, he does have terrific baseball knowledge.
100% correct on all counts. As individuals, DJ and Farmio are much better than they are as a pair.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 PM
WSI Personality

I fear that listening to them be phony to each other will be more uncomfortable than when they just come out in the open with their frustration with each other. At least that is honest and real.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'd be surprised if there was a significant change. Just the fact that Stone calls him "Ken" shows he's not ready to play nice.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The problem with the Sox broadcasting is that they have 4 color guys and no play by play guy.
I don't totally agree. I think that DJ does just fine with the play-by-play. That leads to my proposed solution below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Here's the funny thing: I think Ed Farmer is just terrible no matter the situation. He was terrible as the color man for John Rooney, and he's terrible as the PBP man in the booth. DJ on the other hand is gret IMO when he does National broadcasts on Fox. I think with Hawk, he was just overwhelmed by Hawk's huge ego and just wasn't comfortable with him. With Farmer, it is what is is. I just think he needs to be with someone he can be comfotable with, because on the National broadcasts, he does have terrific baseball knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Rowand surprised the hell out of me with how well he did as a fill-in last year. He was the most informative baseball announcer the Sox had all year, by a mile. I would not be upset to see him get a shot full time.
I agree that Ed Farmer has become incredibly hard on the ears. He just wants to argue all the time and getting relevant information from him (i.e., the score, the situation, etc.) is like pulling teeth. Perhaps the Sox can make him a scout once again. Given his deep knowledge of the game, Farmer probably was a great scout and could be again.

I would make DJ the full time play-by-play voice on the radio. For his sidekick, I would hire Aaron Rowand and/or Donn Pall. I agree that Rowand is exceptionally informative and DJ and Pall seemed to have great chemistry when they have worked together in the past.

As for TV, when Hawk Harrelson leaves, the obvious replacement for TV voice of the Sox would be WSI's very own "Bump 34," Dave Wills. Wouldn't Wills and Steve Stone make an excellent broadcasting team on TV?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
I'd be surprised if there was a significant change. Just the fact that Stone calls him "Ken" shows he's not ready to play nice.
Harrelson introduced his partner "Stone Pony" until last year when he began calling him Steve. This is just not a match made in heaven and professional civility is the best we can hope for.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Harrelson introduced his partner "Stone Pony" until last year when he began calling him Steve. This is just not a match made in heaven and professional civility is the best we can hope for.
That's because Stone doesn't like to be called Stone Pony. I think people are putting too much into this. We have no idea what caused the tension, but they say the issues were ironed out. I don't know why people, when they have no idea what the issues were to begin with, would say they are lying, that they hate each other and the broadcasts will always be full of tension. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But no one here really knows including me. Hawk calls Stone Steve. Steve calls Hawk by his name, Ken. How do you come to conclusions based on someone calling someone else by their name?

Last edited by dickallen15; 03-14-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
No different than every Hawk ______ matchup in the last 25 years!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
No different than every Hawk ______ matchup in the last 25 years!
If everyone who calls Stone Steve is a bad match up for Stone, the problem is not Hawk.