White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 02:22 PM
WSI Personality

Default Bench starting to take shape

Wise man backing up OFers
Jimenez backup C
Gillaspie backup 3b
Morel backup ss and 3b

With the Kepper able to backup Beckham at 2nd with Brent or Conor able to fill in at third. Dunn plays some backup first base and OF.

Seems like that would be an okay bench. A more experienced backup catcher would be nice. Looks like Jordan Danks could be odd man out.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I cant think of any reason Morel can not be the so called utility guy because in reality Beckham and Keppinger are utility guys.
His name is Conor Gillaspie

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I think this spring Morel and Gillaspie will be battling for that utility spot. Plus if Keppinger's shoulder proves to be a problem it make sense to have more than one guy capable of playing third and short. There is no harm in using this spring to see if Morel can be a utility guy, if not this year then at some point down the road.

Go Sox!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:57 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I think this spring Morel and Gillaspie will be battling for that utility spot. Plus if Keppinger's shoulder proves to be a problem it make sense to have more than one guy capable of playing third and short. There is no harm in using this spring to see if Morel can be a utility guy, if not this year then at some point down the road.
Morel has 2 minor league options left. Gillaspie has none. The Sox can send Morel to AAA this year without risking losing him. They cannot do the same with Gillaspie. Morel is going to have to blow him away this Spring to earn an Opening Day roster spot over him. Actually, more likely, Gillaspie is going to have to be absolutely terrible, probably doesn't matter how good Morel plays. Watch out, Gwinnett Braves, Brent Morel will be seeing you April 4!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Morel has 2 minor league options left. Gillaspie has none. The Sox can send Morel to AAA this year without risking losing him. They cannot do the same with Gillaspie. Morel is going to have to blow him away this Spring to earn an Opening Day roster spot over him.
I agree that Gillaspie is going to be on the Opening Day roster over Morel but I suspect that the White Sox are auditioning Morel for a utility spot in the future or in case Keppinger gets hurt.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:04 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I agree that Gillaspie is going to be on the Opening Day roster over Morel but I suspect that the White Sox are auditioning Morel for a utility spot in the future or in case Keppinger gets hurt.
I think they're just ****ing around because it's February 28.

A ton of MLB players were shortstops in high school and college. Mark Teixeira is a former amateur shortstop. A lot of guys who reach the Majors played SS because they were usually the best player on their high school or college team and that's were the best player plays most of the time.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
As long as its not sanchez just because he can play ss.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:00 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
As long as its not sanchez just because he can play ss.
Sanchez was a Rule V pick, right? He can't be optioned to the minors, either, else the Sox forfeit him back to LAA. He's going to have to be outright terrible for that to happen, as well.

Morel's starting this season in AAA.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Sanchez was a Rule V pick, right? He can't be optioned to the minors, either, else the Sox forfeit him back to LAA. He's going to have to be outright terrible for that to happen, as well.

Morel's starting this season in AAA.
Yep no options. Hopefully he was the just in case pick, not knowing how Morels back was and before they got Gillaspie. Surprises can happen and he could be cut loose.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:39 PM
WSI Guru

I think the fee for letting him go back to the Angels and not keeping him on the roster is 25 thousand bucks.

That's nothing.

The fact that he was a rule five pick means little to nothing in the final decision.

Lip
Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

A ton of MLB players were shortstops in high school and college. Mark Teixeira is a former amateur shortstop. A lot of guys who reach the Majors played SS because they were usually the best player on their high school or college team and that's were the best player plays most of the time.
Bobby Thigpen was an All-American at Mississipi State at the DH position. He played in more than 400 major league gamess and only came up to bat once.

I think you're right. A few innings without a fielding chance in a meaningless Februrary game doesn't mean anything.

And I believe a backup shortstop should primarily be a shortstop.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:56 PM
WSI Guru

The Sox defensively probably aren't to be as good as last year however they still should be above average.

What they need is hitting.

On paper Morel hits better than the second coming of Jose Lopez (i.e. Angel Sanchez). His defense is good enough to probably play short as a back up / utility role for the amount of time he might actually get there.

His bat is better. If it comes down to those two, Morel offers more in what the team need more of.

Lip
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Anyone who reads anything into what happens in any game that takes place in February is insane
I think you're taking this a bit too lightly, myself. Maybe Ventura wants to see if Morel's back can handle the range in both directions, whereas at 3B it's more of a one-sided affair.

SMO
Old 03-01-2013, 09:33 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I know a lot of people are making snarky comments about this, but Ventura did clearly say during Soxfest several times that he was considering using Morel as a backup shortstop. I heard it with my own ears, so it was definitely discussed over the winter, and seemingly Ventura is somewhat serious. In fact, I think Hahn talked about it in one of the seminars as well, talking about how valuable Morel would be as a backup second baseman or shortstop. Unfortunately either nobody remembers that or the media just simply did not pick up on the comment in January. It was discussed though.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I know a lot of people are making snarky comments about this, but Ventura did clearly say during Soxfest several times that he was considering using Morel as a backup shortstop. I heard it with my own ears, so it was definitely discussed over the winter, and seemingly Ventura is somewhat serious. In fact, I think Hahn talked about it in one of the seminars as well, talking about how valuable Morel would be as a backup second baseman or shortstop. Unfortunately either nobody remembers that or the media just simply did not pick up on the comment in January. It was discussed though.

It makes as much sense as anything. I'm all for it except in the case that Morel's health can't hold up even as a backup. If this is the case and we lose Sanchez because he is out of options where does that leave us?

It's a shame Morel was hurt from the get go last year...his September 2010 was awesome.