White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
It's also nice for those who only need to take a half day off at work instead of a full day. I'm happy about the 3:00 start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Me too. Though it could be pretty chilly out there by the 7th inning.
It's our first day back from spring break so I can't take a personal day.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Harry Potter Harry Potter is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
It's our first day back from spring break so I can't take a personal day.


Those who don't have a spring break really feel for you, that you can't have another day off.
__________________
Next Game: 2015 Opening Day

2014 Attendance Record: 15-11
2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post


Those who don't have a spring break really feel for you, that you can't have another day off.
I would almost trade that spring break to have that Monday off.

Almost.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I would almost trade that spring break to have that Monday off.

Almost.
Because Easter Sunday is on 3/31, a lot of schools are extending Spring Break through Monday. My high school aged daughter and one of my college aged sons don't return to school until Tuesday. They are both happy to be attending Opening Day instead.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Because Easter Sunday is on 3/31, a lot of schools are extending Spring Break through Monday. My high school aged daughter and one of my college aged sons don't return to school until Tuesday. They are both happy to be attending Opening Day instead.
I know. The school where I student taught last year has that Monday off, but not the school where I work. Bummer.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:37 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Because Easter Sunday is on 3/31, a lot of schools are extending Spring Break through Monday. My high school aged daughter and one of my college aged sons don't return to school until Tuesday. They are both happy to be attending Opening Day instead.
I wonder why. Easter always is on Sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:43 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesinrk View Post
Actually, IIRC, the 2003 opener was like a 3 p.m. start time and it was on a weekday (I want to say a Monday or Friday).
My last, at least most recent, opening day. The scheduled Friday start was 3:05, but it was delayed by rain. I got there long before 3 and had a great corporate seat, thanks to a very good friend, but it might have been after 5 before the game got started. Many people left before the ceremonies, and the park felt fairly empty when new closer Billy Koch struck out the side in the ninth to nail down the win.

The man who threw out the ceremonial first pitch got the first boos of the year. And he would later go to prison.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I wonder why. Easter always is on Sunday.
Probably to accomodate folks who are going out of town for Spring Break -- so they don't have to travel back home or to school on Easter Sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 PM
jmeneghini1433 jmeneghini1433 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Lawn
Posts: 173
Post

2008 OD was a 3:05 start
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,116
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
It's also nice for those who only need to take a half day off at work instead of a full day. I'm happy about the 3:00 start.
Totally agree. I'm fine with the 3PM start. You can take a half day at work or if you end up taking a full day off, you don't need to get to the ballpark early in the morning to get a decent parking spot. For those of us that live far from the park, the 3PM start is most welcome.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
My last, at least most recent, opening day. The scheduled Friday start was 3:05, but it was delayed by rain. I got there long before 3 and had a great corporate seat, thanks to a very good friend, but it might have been after 5 before the game got started. Many people left before the ceremonies, and the park felt fairly empty when new closer Billy Koch struck out the side in the ninth to nail down the win.

The man who threw out the ceremonial first pitch got the first boos of the year. And he would later go to prison.
Blago?

Seeing Koch strike out the side is something not many White Sox fans got to experience so you should feel blessed.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Blago?

Seeing Koch strike out the side is something not many White Sox fans got to experience so you should feel blessed.
Yes, but the governor was booed because he was known as a Cubs fan.

As for Koch, it was opening day, he was the new closer, he had seen success with Oakland, and although he had a bad outing in Kansas City before coming home, we believed this was what we were going to see in 2003.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,478
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeneghini1433 View Post
2008 OD was a 3:05 start
The Joe Crede grand slam game, right?

Funny how you have small memories of each Opener. Oddly, I can't remember much about the last two.

2003 - Rain delay, Loaiza got the start.
2004 ?
2005 Opener vs. Cleveland, Infield hit by Rowand?, Ross Gload stab & Shingo save
2006 - Opening Night, Rain, Thome Bomb
2007 - Contreras' wife serves him divorce papers and the Sox get destroyed
2008 - Crede slam (vs. Minn or Detroit? can't remember)
2009 - Rescheduled game due to snow, Wise gets booed out of the park for leading off, Thome homer
2010 - Buehrle start, Konerko homer, great Rios catch
2011 - Cold day, Edwin Jackson pitches a good game
2012 - ? I'm getting old.
__________________
2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:54 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The Joe Crede grand slam game, right?

Funny how you have small memories of each Opener. Oddly, I can't remember much about the last two.

2003 - Rain delay, Loaiza got the start.
2004 ?
2005 Opener vs. Cleveland, Infield hit by Rowand?, Ross Gload stab & Shingo save
2006 - Opening Night, Rain, Thome Bomb
2007 - Contreras' wife serves him divorce papers and the Sox get destroyed
2008 - Crede slam (vs. Minn or Detroit? can't remember)
2009 - Rescheduled game due to snow, Wise gets booed out of the park for leading off, Thome homer
2010 - Buehrle start, Konerko homer, great Rios catch
2011 - Cold day, Edwin Jackson pitches a good game
2012 - ? I'm getting old.
They beat the Tigers. Peavy outpitched Scherzer. Viciedo homered. Pierzynski had an RBI triple that scored Konerko from first. That was probably the most memorable play of the game.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 7-9; Total: 125-99.
Next game: April 2015

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The Joe Crede grand slam game, right?

Funny how you have small memories of each Opener. Oddly, I can't remember much about the last two.

2003 - Rain delay, Loaiza got the start.
2004 ?
2005 Opener vs. Cleveland, Infield hit by Rowand?, Ross Gload stab & Shingo save
2006 - Opening Night, Rain, Thome Bomb
2007 - Contreras' wife serves him divorce papers and the Sox get destroyed
2008 - Crede slam (vs. Minn or Detroit? can't remember)
2009 - Rescheduled game due to snow, Wise gets booed out of the park for leading off, Thome homer
2010 - Buehrle start, Konerko homer, great Rios catch
2011 - Cold day, Edwin Jackson pitches a good game
2012 - ? I'm getting old.
2012's home opener was against Detroit and AJ had a big triple at one point in the game, the opening day game was against Texas and Dunn hit a homer. The 2008 home opener was where Crede hit a grand slam against Minnesota but opening day that year was in Cleveland and I think both Buehrle and CC were knocked out of the game by the third inning. 2004 was against Kansas City and I think that Bill Koch blew a save by giving up a homer to Carlos Beltran.

I have been to three opening days, 2007, 2009 and 2011. I am not going to opening day in 2013.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.