White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 PM
WSI Guru

Isn't Depaul basketball looking to move games back to the city? If the Cubs move to Rosemont, the City can tear down Wrigley so a new basketball arena can be built @ Clark & Addison for the Blue Demons. It's a win-win.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Isn't Depaul basketball looking to move games back to the city? If the Cubs move to Rosemont, the City can tear down Wrigley so a new basketball arena can be built @ Clark & Addison for the Blue Demons. It's a win-win.
DePaul mentioned building a (practically) on-campus arena on the NW corner of Sheffield & Fullerton. I don't know what came of that.

As a landmark, I don't think Wrigley can be torn down.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
DePaul mentioned building a (practically) on-campus arena on the NW corner of Sheffield & Fullerton. I don't know what came of that.

Wishful thinking on my part.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Then let them use the "landmark" for Little League games as the baseball that has been played there for the last century is equivalent to that.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
Then let them use the "landmark" for Little League games as the baseball that has been played there for the last century is equivalent to that.
An empty but still there Wrigley Field while the Cubs are ignored in the suburbs is a rather hilarious picture in my head.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

The plan you're talking about is dead, the residents voted it down. They are looking at building their own stadium down south of the McCormick Center, or the Bulls have offered them 10 years of free rent to come play at the UC.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
The plan you're talking about is dead, the residents voted it down. They are looking at building their own stadium down south of the McCormick Center, or the Bulls have offered them 10 years of free rent to come play at the UC.
Thanks, hadn't heard that. Before the Sheffield site, I remember reading rumors about the old Finkl steel plant (have they moved yet?), but I also remember reading that there were some serious environmental issues with that property, unsurprisingly.

Having an arena near McCormick Place seems like a mess that would not be worth it. The UC at least seems like it would be a better option than Rosemont.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Honestly, this would be the worst PR disaster and most boneheaded financial move in professional sports history if the Cubs were to move from their storybook ballpark in the heart of the City to some vacant lot out in Rosemont next to the Tollway. As a Sox fan, I'm on my knees praying that this is true and that the City of Chicago tells Ricketts to kiss ass and move.

From a logistical standpoint, this new site wouldn't be COMPLETELY removed from public transportation (looks like there's a Metra line there), but for all practical purposes, they might as well relocate to Rockford. The neighborhood around this site would be more barren than USCF.

Can't believe this is "real" leverage, and I hope the City doesn't take these clowns seriously, and on the same front I hope the Ricketts are 100% serious. Hilarious concept.
Agreed and I don't think any team from Chicago want's to be the first to leave the city proper. Even as close as Rosemont is it's still not Chicago. This with one move would hand the city back to the Sox forever more...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Thanks, hadn't heard that. Before the Sheffield site, I remember reading rumors about the old Finkl steel plant (have they moved yet?), but I also remember reading that there were some serious environmental issues with that property, unsurprisingly.

Having an arena near McCormick Place seems like a mess that would not be worth it. The UC at least seems like it would be a better option than Rosemont.
Yeah I think the McCormick idea is basically Rosemont but closer. Obviously it would be a nicer arena but it's still a trek for most people. The UC makes sense and with the new practice facility it could be great for the area.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
Yeah I think the McCormick idea is basically Rosemont but closer. Obviously it would be a nicer arena but it's still a trek for most people. The UC makes sense and with the new practice facility it could be great for the area.
The Bulls really offered the UC for a decade, rent-free?!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:

From a logistical standpoint, this new site wouldn't be COMPLETELY removed from public transportation (looks like there's a Metra line there)
The rosemont station at river road on the blue line is not that far from this proposed location. I bet not much further than the green line stop from Sox park.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The rosemont station at river road on the blue line is not that far from this proposed location. I bet not much further than the green line stop from Sox park.
Perusing google maps a bit, the Green Line to Sox Park is .4 miles. The walk in between is on a two-lane road with sidewalks on either side.

For the Rosemont site, I used the Rosemont Theatre, which fronts River Rd. To the theater from the train station, it says .7 miles, so I would guess that gets it to about a mile, as the site I am guessing they're using is the one behind the theatre, as opposed to another empty field just south of the Bandits stadium on the other side of the tollway. That walk from the Rosemont El stop is on a 4-line, divided street in River Road that looks less than pedestrian-friendly, to say the least.

Also, while the article linked to the site behind the Rosemont Theatre on the east side of the tollway, there appears to be construction going on there. I think I read something about an outlet mall going in there. Thus, I wonder if the empty parcel of land in question is actually on the north side of Balmoral just west of the tollway. That's an even worse location when it comes to access for any kind of transportation.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I mean, obviously not, but the Mayor of Rosemont makes his pitch anyway...

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/kapma...akes-his-pitch
Kaplan's math is regarding applicable amusement taxes is a little messed up. He correctly notes that patrons currently pay 12% amusement tax on tickets for games at Wrigley. That 12% tax = 9% Chicago amusement tax + 3% County amusement tax. So far, so good.

But Kaplan goes on to say that there would only be a 3% amusement tax for games at Rosemont. That is wrong. For Rosemont games, there would be a 3% Rosemont amusement tax + 3% County amusement tax = total of 6% amusement tax. And, yes, there is case law supporting this. See County of Cook v. Village of Rosemont, 303 Ill. App. 3d 403 (1st Dist. 1999).
Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Also, while the article linked to the site behind the Rosemont Theatre on the east side of the tollway, there appears to be construction going on there. I think I read something about an outlet mall going in there. Thus, I wonder if the empty parcel of land in question is actually on the north side of Balmoral just west of the tollway. That's an even worse location when it comes to access for any kind of transportation.
Correct on all counts. The "Fashion Outlet Mall" or whatever they're calling it is progressing rapidly behind the theater.

West of 294 on either side of Balmoral is a sort of no-man's land of warehouses and factories, a railroad yard and yes the Rosemont sports dome and softball field. Perfect for the Cubs! Yes there are new ramps from Balmoral to Mannheim and 294 but not in both direction if I remember right. And yes there is Metra service but its just a few trains a day. They'd need to run shuttles from the Blue Line.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The Bulls really offered the UC for a decade, rent-free?!
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...e-demons-games