White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,245
Default

I dont think it is totally unreasonable to think the cubs would consider a move. A place like rosemont would and could give them the world to relocate. This a village that is getting huge revenue from a casino, hotels, convention center, entertainment complex and soon to be huge designer shopping mall. The village has no schools, library's etc to support. In essence this villages streets are lined in gold.

Someone mentioned the Sox moving after the lease expires in 2026, if the ownership at that time is the same as it currently it is, I would see them making the move. They love using other peoples money and this is a place where they would have the opportunity to do that.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,207
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I dont think it is totally unreasonable to think the cubs would consider a move. A place like rosemont would and could give them the world to relocate. This a village that is getting huge revenue from a casino, hotels, convention center, entertainment complex and soon to be huge designer shopping mall. The village has no schools, library's etc to support. In essence this villages streets are lined in gold.

Someone mentioned the Sox moving after the lease expires in 2026, if the ownership at that time is the same as it currently it is, I would see them making the move. They love using other peoples money and this is a place where they would have the opportunity to do that.
The casino is actually in Des Plaines. I believe the license was originally awarded to Rosemont, they had a building ready (the Muvico Theatres) but the state ended up moving the license nearby to Des Plaines because Rosemont probably gives Cicero a run for it's money as the most crooked town in Illinois.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The casino is actually in Des Plaines. I believe the license was originally awarded to Rosemont, they had a building ready (the Muvico Theatres) but the state ended up moving the license nearby to Des Plaines because Rosemont probably gives Cicero a run for it's money as the most crooked town in Illinois.
Yes you are correct on all counts and has always been the new Cicero since its inception. How they get away with the things they do, in this time baffles me but I know that cant be discussed here.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Moses_Scurry Moses_Scurry is offline
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 3,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
An empty but still there Wrigley Field while the Cubs are ignored in the suburbs is a rather hilarious picture in my head.
God, that would be like Lionel Hutz imagining a world without lawyers!
__________________
What is Mind? -- Doesn't Matter!
What is Matter? -- Never Mind!
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 AM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I dont think it is totally unreasonable to think the cubs would consider a move. A place like rosemont would and could give them the world to relocate. This a village that is getting huge revenue from a casino, hotels, convention center, entertainment complex and soon to be huge designer shopping mall. The village has no schools, library's etc to support. In essence this villages streets are lined in gold.

Someone mentioned the Sox moving after the lease expires in 2026, if the ownership at that time is the same as it currently it is, I would see them making the move. They love using other peoples money and this is a place where they would have the opportunity to do that.
The moment the Cubs move out of Wrigley Field is the moment they cease becoming a tourist attraction to the masses. It would, as has been said, among the worst decisions any sports team has ever made. There aren't any ballparks people flock to in the suburbs as a tourist destination.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The moment the Cubs move out of Wrigley Field is the moment they cease becoming a tourist attraction to the masses. It would, as has been said, among the worst decisions any sports team has ever made. There aren't any ballparks people flock to in the suburbs as a tourist destination.
Getting a real sweet lease, parking revenue, skybox revenue, on field advertising revenue, actual concession revenue, having no overseer of what they can and can not do can go a long way.

You mention tourist revenue, I cant think of a more populated tourist base than the hotels filled in rosemont. All within walking distance to the proposed field. Sure it wont be to see a old historic field but maybe it will be to see a good ball club. Yes I know that is
heresy.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,207
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
You mention tourist revenue, I cant think of a more populated tourist base than the hotels filled in rosemont. All within walking distance to the proposed field. Sure it wont be to see a old historic field but maybe it will be to see a good ball club. Yes I know that is
heresy.
Uh, what? Tourists don't go to Cubs games to see the Cubs, they go there to see Wrigley Field. The experience of being at Wrigley is what allures so many of them. If the Cubs were a good team and people wanted to see them play, you can get MLB.tv for an entire season for the same price as a hotel room in Rosemont, which is, again, not at all designed for people to walk around, unless you're now building private skywalks from every hotel to the new park as well as the Blue Line stop.

If the Cubs were playing good baseball, they'd pack the park because there's still a lot of Cub fans in the Chicago area that would go see them. But last year, they were historically terrible and they still drew 2.8 million people because they can count on hundreds of thousands if not over a million tourists to go to a game there, regardless of what's going on. That goes away with Wrigley.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Uh, what? Tourists don't go to Cubs games to see the Cubs, they go there to see Wrigley Field. The experience of being at Wrigley is what allures so many of them. If the Cubs were a good team and people wanted to see them play, you can get MLB.tv for an entire season for the same price as a hotel room in Rosemont, which is, again, not at all designed for people to walk around, unless you're now building private skywalks from every hotel to the new park as well as the Blue Line stop.

Maybe I am dreaming that people actually like to see good baseball at a park not on Tv. I was also speaking of the convention/business traveler that is in a rosemont hotel. Going to a ball game that is right down the street would be a real possibility.

Regarding the skywalks, I wouldnt rule that out with rosemont the city of gold. A tram could be possible and a dedicated shuttle lane on game day would be a easy solution.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Maybe I am dreaming that people actually like to see good baseball at a park not on Tv. I was also speaking of the convention/business traveler that is in a rosemont hotel. Going to a ball game that is right down the street would be a real possibility.

Regarding the skywalks, I wouldnt rule that out with rosemont the city of gold. A tram could be possible and a dedicated shuttle lane on game day would be a easy solution.
Rosemont is a secondary convention venue, plus the whole convention line to bring people into a ballpark is way overrated. As a tourist draw, there might not be a better pull in the world than Wrigley Field. At Wrigley, people don't care if the baseball is good or not. They would at Generic Suburban Park.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 26,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Rosemont is a secondary convention venue, plus the whole convention line to bring people into a ballpark is way overrated. As a tourist draw, there might not be a better pull in the world than Wrigley Field. At Wrigley, people don't care if the baseball is good or not. They would at Generic Suburban Park.
The impression I got from the story on Channel 5 was that they would build a replica of Wrigley.

Heck, the town might alter the Building Code to allow for troughs in the mens room.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The impression I got from the story on Channel 5 was that they would build a replica of Wrigley.

Heck, the town might alter the Building Code to allow for troughs in the mens room.
Even still, it would not have the same appeal to the vast majority of tourists and non-Cubs fans.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post

Heck, the town might alter the Building Code to allow for troughs in the mens room.

If thats what the cubs want I bet rosemont would do whatever is possible to accommodate it.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Rosemont is a secondary convention venue, plus the whole convention line to bring people into a ballpark is way overrated. As a tourist draw, there might not be a better pull in the world than Wrigley Field. At Wrigley, people don't care if the baseball is good or not. They would at Generic Suburban Park.
Another draw will be from tourists going to the new designer mall. What I have heard is that it will be something really special. Mom and the girls come in to go to the mall while dad and the boys go to a ball game. Many different possibilities of getting out of towners to the ballpark.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,986
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The impression I got from the story on Channel 5 was that they would build a replica of Wrigley.

Heck, the town might alter the Building Code to allow for troughs in the mens room.
Would the million-or-so tourists who come to town to see a century-old ballpark really flock to a replica?

Now, as much as I'd love to see the Ricketts group make this colossal mistake, they can't be that dumb, can they?


Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,285
Default

Living outside of the Chicago area, I hear it all the time. "We're going to Chicago, and we're going to go see Wrigley Field." Note that it's not "going to see the Cubs," it's "going to see Wrigley Field." Tourists would not say "we're going to go see the new replica of Wrigley Field that they built out by the airport."
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.