White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I would think the most likely outcome is the NFL tosses the Orioles some cash and we end up with a doubleheader sometime later that series (Saturday, most likely).
Least likely. There's no way the Orioles or Sox will sign off on a doubleheader and throw off their pitching rotations in September right before the Sox have a series with the Tigers.

3 options:

1) Ravens play Wednesday, even though they don't want to.
2) Ravens give up, and they just don't play at home--or at least not until Sunday.
3) Ravens compensate the Sox and Orioles, and the baseball game is played during the day.

Gut feeling--the Sox and O's will end up playing during the day.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Rosh Hashanah
I know Steve Stone usually takes RH off, but isn't Yom Kippur the big day where Jewish athletes prefer not to play?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hate Me View Post
I know Steve Stone usually takes RH off, but isn't Yom Kippur the big day where Jewish athletes prefer not to play?
Both are big holidays, they're called the High Holy Days for a reason.

But it's not just about the athletes; fans, TV, ownership, and more. The NFL isn't going to open their season on a major religious holiday (they already are, but the start of Rosh Hashanah is more important than the start of the 2nd day of it).
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Make it a Sox road game in Chicago.

All hail The Rick
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

My bad, didn't realize they shared parking. I like the "making it a road game at The Cell" option.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Here's an idea - move the game to the Nationals' park in DC. Short bus ride for the O's a d Sox, the O's don't lose a home game nor a home crowd, and the nasty Nats are not only on the road from 9/2 - 9/12, they have no game at all on 9/5, I think the NFL could make it rain enough to get all interested parties on board.

SMO
Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
Here's an idea - move the game to the Nationals' park in DC. Short bus ride for the O's a d Sox, the O's don't lose a home game nor a home crowd, and the nasty Nats are not only on the road from 9/2 - 9/12, they have no game at all on 9/5, I think the NFL could make it rain enough to get all interested parties on board.

SMO
Not a bad idea, but Angelos and the Lerners don't get along well, I don't see that happening.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

http://deadspin.com/for-once-basebal...airs-456535617
Old 03-19-2013, 04:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

I will be furious if the White Sox get rolled over here right before a big series with the Tigers. Everyone in the media is acting like this is just about the Orioles and revenue and ignoring competitive balance.

Why should the White Sox be the only team in baseball to play a day road game after a night road game this season all to convenience a team in another sport, especially when it is against the rules of the league? I don't care if it is a minor blip in the grand scheme of this season. It's still a minor blip no other team will have to face.

-A Tigers fan, just before the Pale Hose defeated the Kitties 9-1.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:00 PM
WSI Regular

The Sox once finished an incomplete game in Baltimore after it was originally a home game in 2008. The Sox ended up losing.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeneghini1433 View Post
The Sox once finished an incomplete game in Baltimore after it was originally a home game in 2008. The Sox ended up losing.
IIRC, the incomplete game was from their first trip to Baltimore in April, and the return trip was late in the summer (August?). I recall Jenks blowing a save there. At least I got a free Club Level tickets walking in to the park from some O's fans who had an extra.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:08 PM
WSI Guru

GF:

Same reasons the Sox are usually so pissed at the schedule makers, it's the Sox, nobody cares right?

I agree, the Sox should say **** you to the O's and the NFL if that happens. They have rights too, simply refuse to agree to this.

Lip
Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
GF:

Same reasons the Sox are usually so pissed at the schedule makers, it's the Sox, nobody cares right?

I agree, the Sox should say **** you to the O's and the NFL if that happens. They have rights too, simply refuse to agree to this.

Lip
Why **** you to the O's? They also have a night game elsewhere the night before, it would also violate union rules for them, too. The Orioles want to play a day game after a road night game as much as the Sox do.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:24 PM
WSI High Priest

They should just treat it as if the Orioles and Ravens play in the same stadium. The Orioles have a game that day, so the Ravens can't play that day. Period. Now if the Ravens want to overpay the O's and Sox to move the start time, I think there's a price for everything.

I also think a lot of it has to do with it being a Thursday. MLB probably feels like the NFL already poaches fans on Sunday's and Monday's. These season long Thursday night games aren't good for MLB, so why help them?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:29 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
IIRC, the incomplete game was from their first trip to Baltimore in April, and the return trip was late in the summer (August?). I recall Jenks blowing a save there. At least I got a free Club Level tickets walking in to the park from some O's fans who had an extra.
No, the game was a home game in April and they finished it while on a road trip to Baltimore in September. April 28, 2008.

Last edited by jmeneghini1433; 03-19-2013 at 06:43 PM.