White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
WSI Personality

I saw a great story today. CVS is headquartered in Rhode Island. The Governor of RI is attempting to end a sweetheart deal CVS has by only paying 1/2 the corporate tax rate other businesses pay in the state. CVS said if they lose the deal, they will move jobs out of Rhode Island. Then it was disclosed that their CEO's salary jumped from $12 to $18 million last year. Corporate greed at it's finest.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I saw a great story today. CVS is headquartered in Rhode Island. The Governor of RI is attempting to end a sweetheart deal CVS has by only paying 1/2 the corporate tax rate other businesses pay in the state. CVS said if they lose the deal, they will move jobs out of Rhode Island. Then it was disclosed that their CEO's salary jumped from $12 to $18 million last year. Corporate greed at it's finest.
I think of it as human greed
Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Trying to tread lightly here. All I'll say is there are millions of folks in this country having to work jobs with little to no benefits. I've been there.

The problem is in fact, many, I'd say the majority DON'T have the choices that you are assuming they have. ESPECIALLY in this country at this time with this screwed up economy.

I have no issues with any company or business making a profit, none...they take the risks, they are entitled to a reward.

But when the pursuit of profit overtakes basic human needs and dignity, there's something wrong. Dead wrong with that attitude. They are not entitled to a limitless profit.

NO sports franchise that I know of is losing money. What is a fact as shown in the book The Lords of the Realm is that MLB teams (and I suspect other pro sports teams) have been cooking the books for years. These are smart, very smart business people...they aren't going to hang on to a money loser...that's not their way.

They can afford to pay loyal employees a pension. Period. ESPECIALLY in a business that Proud to be Your Bud crows about being worth eight BILLION dollars.

Lip
+1.

Risk

"Is minic a ghearr teanga duine a scornach"-(Celtic)
"it is often that a person's tongue cut his throat"
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
This is one of the worst business trends in my lifetime and I will stop right there.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

I really thought Reinsdorf was a bastard back in '94. He's redeemed himself 100% in my eyes over the last 20 years.