White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Part of what's frustrating to me is that this was all supose to be a minor clean up (surgery) of the shoulder and being ready for opening day would not be an issue. I believe Ventura and Coop both confirmed this when the surgery took place. OD 2013 was not going to be an issue. And here we are.
Well...it's frustrating because you believed those two over medical history. A torn shoulder capsule isn't something to sneer at. Look at the history of those who had similar issues...Mark Prior, Chien Ming-Wang, Rich Harden, Johan Santana...it's a LONG road back and not a sure thing. I don't think it should be frustrating that Danks won't be anywhere near ready or effective this year. What's frustrating was the baseless assumption that it was likely.

edit: looks like there's a really good read on this at SBnation if anyone's interested. Warning: it's not a positive outlook on this type of injury. http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/3/2...rgery-pitchers
Old 03-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Banned

If Danks really is going to be a huge bust I don't think this will be the injury that proves so. It's a lengthy recovery and being cautious is okay with me because I have faith in the guys behind him. Hopefully he can give us 25-30 starts and come back in full form in 2014. The first year after a should surgery is usually tough for a pitcher and they usually get the arm back to full strength the second season following surgery.

Regardless, I like how our rotation looks right now.

1.) Sale
2.) Peavy
3.) Floyd
4.) Quintana
5.) Axelrod
LR/6). Santiago

We all know what to expect with 1-3. While the verdict is still out on Quintana I think things are looking up for him. Last year he threw 184 innings and before that he never threw over 103. Hopefully that was the reason for his rough September rather than teams figuring him out. Either way, his spring stats have been great and I've read his changeup has improved along with his ability to throw to his arm side of the plate.

Axelrod is another guy who is having a great spring. Him starting, say 3-4 games in April isn't the worst thing ever. While I remember cringing seeing his name in the probables last season I have a new found hope for him. All we need him to do is pitch 5-7 innings while only allowing 2-4 runs. I just want our #5 spot to keep us in the game.

Santiago is a guy I like a lot more than Axelrod in terms of stuff/talent but I guess he isn't locating his off speed stuff as well as the team had hoped. Regardless, its a luxury to have a guy who can come out of the pen and give you four solid innings after a starter gets knocked out early.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 PM
WSI Guru

Gonzo says Crain might also start season on DL.

Lip
Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Scott Merkin
Crain is now a question mark for Opening Day. Started feeling discomfort in the adductor after 10 pitches on Wednesday
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 03-21-2013, 02:07 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Well...it's frustrating because you believed those two over medical history. A torn shoulder capsule isn't something to sneer at. Look at the history of those who had similar issues...Mark Prior, Chien Ming-Wang, Rich Harden, Johan Santana...it's a LONG road back and not a sure thing. I don't think it should be frustrating that Danks won't be anywhere near ready or effective this year. What's frustrating was the baseless assumption that it was likely.

edit: looks like there's a really good read on this at SBnation if anyone's interested. Warning: it's not a positive outlook on this type of injury. http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/3/2...rgery-pitchers
I would add that Danks needs to take up bowling with a light ball for next few months. That motion/resistance will build up the complementary shoulder muscles and slow-twitch fibers. Johnny just hang out at Gage Park Bowl or Marzanos and feel it getting stronger.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Dylan Axelrod in the rotation for any longer than 2-3 starts makes me very nervous. He's an acceptable emergency starter -- but that's it.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
I would add that Danks needs to take up bowling with a light ball for next few months. That motion/resistance will build up the complementary shoulder muscles and slow-twitch fibers. Johnny just hang out at Gage Park Bowl or Marzanos and feel it getting stronger.
Don't forget the knuckle-curve!

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform ó and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 03-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
I can just imagine the headlines if Danks isn't pitching but is bowling...
Old 03-22-2013, 05:10 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Dan Hayes
John Danks will throw in a minor-league game on Sunday; Jesse Crain pitches in one on Saturday.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
This Danks contract has a chance to be as epic a disaster as Jaime Navarro was (one of the other only times JR opened the wallet on long term money to for a SP).

The only chance I gave the Sox this year was with solid SP from 1-2-3. Danks would have been part of that plan.

Not good.
Gavin Floyd needs to buck a career trend and be really, really good in April and May.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Gavin Floyd needs to buck a career trend and be really, really good in April and May.

He and Alexei both.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

If Danks and Crain are both starting the season on the DL, then perhaps the Sox should put both Axelrod and Santiago in the bullpen and sign a pitcher to be the 5th starter until Danks increases his arm strength and is ready to start. Santiago can provide the Sox with long relief and Axelrod could cover some of the relief innings that Crain would normally pitch.

Who could the Sox sign as a 5th starter? One possible candidate is Jon Garland, as Seattle is not prepared to give him a starting slot and Garland apparently will opt out of his contract with the Mariners.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
If Danks and Crain are both starting the season on the DL, then perhaps the Sox should put both Axelrod and Santiago in the bullpen and sign a pitcher to be the 5th starter until Danks increases his arm strength and is ready to start. Santiago can provide the Sox with long relief and Axelrod could cover some of the relief innings that Crain would normally pitch.

Who could the Sox sign as a 5th starter? One possible candidate is Jon Garland, as Seattle is not prepared to give him a starting slot and Garland apparently will opt out of his contract with the Mariners.

Any thoughts?
More than likely, the White Sox wouldn't be attractive to Garland. He's looking for an opportunity to get into a rotation and stay there. That just wouldn't be a good fit for either side.

The Sox will get by with Axelrod, and if they need to replace him while Danks is getting ready, we have some other options - Castro, Rienzo, Molina, or even Santiago.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
This Danks contract has a chance to be as epic a disaster as Jaime Navarro was (one of the other only times JR opened the wallet on long term money to for a SP).

The only chance I gave the Sox this year was with solid SP from 1-2-3. Danks would have been part of that plan.

Not good.
I don't think so. All reports are that Danks does not have pain in his left shoulder but rather that he needs to build up arm strength. Remember, he only had the surgery 7 months ago. He will eventually build up that strength. I think he will be fine

I do concede that we likely won't see Danks pitch until mid-May or June. At that point, he should have arm strength built up to where he throw hard enough to be effective.

And I really don't see the comparison to Jaime Navarro. Navarro just pitched poorly -- that wasn't an injury situation.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Blandman was right about Danks. There; I said it.