White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 PM
WSI Regular

Default How Much PT will our bench guys see?

C. Gillaspie
A. Sanchez
H. Gimenez
D. Wise/J. Danks

What are your thoughts?

I'm a believer in Beckham this year i'd love to see 25HR, but realistically Gillaspie has to be #1 to see significant PT, LHB, decent defense, pretty good control of the strike zone?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Gimenez-- 35 starts
Gillaspie-- 45 starts at 3B, some 1B, and some pinch hitting
Wise-- 20 starts in CF, 5 or 10 in LF and RF, some pinch running and hitting
Sanchez-- 10-15 starts at SS, 5-10 starts at 2B, pinch running.

Hopefully the regulars stay healthy. Not the greatest looking bench, but not necessarily a bad bench.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
Gimenez-- 35 starts
Gillaspie-- 45 starts at 3B, some 1B, and some pinch hitting
Wise-- 20 starts in CF, 5 or 10 in LF and RF, some pinch running and hitting
Sanchez-- 10-15 starts at SS, 5-10 starts at 2B, pinch running.

Hopefully the regulars stay healthy. Not the greatest looking bench, but not necessarily a bad bench.

Sounds good. Am I wrong or can Gimenez also play the OF?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Hopefully more than last year so we don't get worn down by late August.

Gillaspie and Sanchez are decent bench guys plus we have Morel and Escobar if they get hurt or falter. The IF is pretty well backed up.

Would prefer better backup options at C and OF, and it sounds like we don't have much immediate help in AAA, so Hahn my need to make a deal if an OF or Flowers misses significant time or falls into a really bad slump.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 PM
WSI Guru

It's a double edged sword. These bench guys don't impress me or I suspect a lot of baseball. If they play you are seriously hurting your chances of winning, but as Russ said, if they DON'T play then it will be the same old second half blues like we've seen so often the past 10 years.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Maybe they can contend and actually pick up some help at the deadline? (Should that be in pink??)

Lip
Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Banned

I think Gilaspie will get some time early and the rest of the season will depend on how he plays in his first stints.

Gimenez looks to have a nice little stick and he is lefty. From what I have heard the pitchers like him. While I have wished for a better option to back up the unproven commodity that is Flowers, I think Gimenez might be a present surprise. Maybe a left handed Castro.

Sanchez I don't know what to expect from because he is backing up two solid defenders in Beckham and Alexei. Can anyone provide any insight on his speed or base running ability? I don't know how I like Wise being pinch runner and our only back up OFer.

Wise, who I'd prefer a better player in our OF spot, but Atleast we know what to expect. It doesn't hurt that he can field and run though.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Sounds good. Am I wrong or can Gimenez also play the OF?
He played at least one inning of OF last year, on the final Saturday of the season. Robin trotted out a bunch of pinch hitters in the bottom of the 8th because they were getting killed, and part of the fun being there was trying ot figure out who was going where in the field. Gimenez played outfield.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hopefully very little because that is a lot of garbage.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
I think Gilaspie will get some time early and the rest of the season will depend on how he plays in his first stints.

Gimenez looks to have a nice little stick and he is lefty. From what I have heard the pitchers like him. While I have wished for a better option to back up the unproven commodity that is Flowers, I think Gimenez might be a present surprise. Maybe a left handed Castro.

Sanchez I don't know what to expect from because he is backing up two solid defenders in Beckham and Alexei. Can anyone provide any insight on his speed or base running ability? I don't know how I like Wise being pinch runner and our only back up OFer.

Wise, who I'd prefer a better player in our OF spot, but Atleast we know what to expect. It doesn't hurt that he can field and run though.
Is this true? From what I gathered it looked like he couldn't hit much at all and was purely here for his defensive strengths. I'm willing to give the guy a shot but I'd feel better with more of a veteran presence to back up Flowers.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wise will set the Sox records for plate appearances, hits, doubles, triples, home runs, grand slams, and shutouts.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Wise will set the Sox records for plate appearances, hits, doubles, triples, home runs, grand slams, and shutouts.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
Is this true? From what I gathered it looked like he couldn't hit much at all and was purely here for his defensive strengths. I'm willing to give the guy a shot but I'd feel better with more of a veteran presence to back up Flowers.

A lot of guys with nice sticks play 11 total MLB games in their careers at the age of 30.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Jor. Danks has already been sent to Charlotte.

All hail The Rick
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 AM
WSI Prelate

On teams that carry two catchers, which is pretty much every team anymore, backup catchers get more playing time, at least more starts, than a lot of bench players. Last year backup catchers started more than 40 games, and Pierzynski was more durable with the Sox than I expect Flowers will be.

I don't expect Samchez to get many statrs, but he won't need a lot of starts to keep sharp. Wise will get enough playing time to upset many here, but I suppose that woul be the case if he didn't play much at all. Wise, though, is a good player to have on the bench because he can be effective coming off the bench. It doesn't really work to have an all-star on your bench if he needs a lot of playing time to play like an all-star.

It's the Gillaspie thing I'm really not sure about. Gimmenez and Sanchez seem good bench players in the sense that they can come off the bench and give you what they can. Gillaspie has always stuck me as a player who needs playing time to stay sharp offensively. I don't know that he is suited at backing up third and first any more than Keppinger is suited backing up second and third.

Often teams that have strong players riding the bench don't end up getting what they should out of the players if they can't give them enough playing time.

I know I'm in the minority in holding this view, but I think the Sox might b more effective offensively without a virtually full-time DH. Rotating players in at DH keeps bats in the lineup while resting the players. It can help a manager from wearing down his regulars and it can help a team with bench players who need more playing time to stay sharp.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
I definitely have agreed with your last statement but knowing Hahn is settled on Gimenez he's looked better than I expected. While I know it's only ST, he has shown a decent little stroke and his stats in the minors (yes, I know the minors) have been good for a catcher the last few years.