White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 AM
MUsoxfan MUsoxfan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Romeoville, IL
Posts: 9,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yes. I get the feeling he's biding his time, more than anything else. If things turn, I don't think he'd hesitate.
You can't possibly believe even 10% of the bull**** you post here
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
You can't possibly believe even 10% of the bull**** you post here
What, that a manager in the last year of his contract on a team largely predicted not to compete is my prediction for the first to go?

It's my prediction. I can pick whoever the **** I want. Especially when it makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 AM
MUsoxfan MUsoxfan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Romeoville, IL
Posts: 9,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
What, that a manager in the last year of his contract on a team largely predicted not to compete is my prediction for the first to go?

It's my prediction. I can pick whoever the **** I want. Especially when it makes sense.
That makes sense considering your history of other things you think make sense
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 AM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yes. I get the feeling he's biding his time, more than anything else. If things turn, I don't think he'd hesitate.
What the **** is wrong with you?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-04-2013, 09:34 AM
delben91 delben91 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yes. I get the feeling he's biding his time, more than anything else. If things turn, I don't think he'd hesitate.
Why wouldn't he leave at the end of last season when the Sox lost the division lead and "things turned" then? If all it takes is one disappointment to get him out the door then he's already had it.
__________________
I've been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
What the **** is wrong with you?
Robin blew it last year. Didn't extend. And the Sox are largely (optimistic) favored to not be good.

In the AL Central watch thread, another poster, without response, insinuates that Jim Leyland, all time great and coach (who would never be fired) of what is largely considered the best team in the league, will be the first to go.

And I'm the one getting flack?

The **** is wrong with me? The **** is wrong with all of you.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-04-2013, 11:58 AM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Robin blew it last year.
Give me a break. Yes, the Sox fell apart down the stretch, but no one expected them to contend in 2012. That they did anything at all is a testament to Robin's influence over a club that struggled mightily under the leadership of Ozzie Guillen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
And the Sox are largely (optimistic) favored to not be good.
And this means that Robin's going to quit? I could understand his leaving if there were another managerial post available, but there isn't, and Robin seems comfortable in Chicago. I don't know why he didn't extend his contract: he probably had reasons for not doing so that we're not aware of. I won't speculate about something I don't have knowledge of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
In the AL Central watch thread, another poster, without response, insinuates that Jim Leyland, all time great and coach (who would never be fired) of what is largely considered the best team in the league, will be the first to go.
Leyland is a HOF'er, but that doesn't mean his position is invulnerable. I don't think he'll be fired, but I can understand why someone would think so if the Tigers don't meet expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
And I'm the one getting flack?
I don't know why the other posters are giving you a hard time. I'm doing it because I'm sick and tired of reading your unsubstantiated bull**** day after day. Do you have any facts at your disposal- besides Robin not extending his contact- that suggest he's about quit or be fired? Do you have any information suggesting that the Sox will make a change in their hierarchy this season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
The **** is wrong with me? The **** is wrong with all of you.
Once again, I won't speak for other posters. If there is something wrong with me, perhaps it is that I am too inflexible in my thinking, as I'm loath to jump to conclusions unless I have a significant portion of the information about a subject. That's the reason for my position on this issue. I don't believe that Robin's departure is eminent because I have no information that supports the idea, and I won't speculate by tossing out ideas that may inflame the board.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Give me a break. Yes, the Sox fell apart down the stretch, but no one expected them to contend in 2012. That they did anything at all is a testament to Robin's influence over a club that struggled mightily under the leadership of Ozzie Guillen.



And this means that Robin's going to quit? I could understand his leaving if there were another managerial post available, but there isn't, and Robin seems comfortable in Chicago. I don't know why he didn't extend his contract: he probably had reasons for not doing so that we're not aware of. I won't speculate about something I don't have knowledge of.



Leyland is a HOF'er, but that doesn't mean his position is invulnerable. I don't think he'll be fired, but I can understand why someone would think so if the Tigers don't meet expectations.



I don't know why the other posters are giving you a hard time. I'm doing it because I'm sick and tired of reading your unsubstantiated bull**** day after day. Do you have any facts at your disposal- besides Robin not extending his contact- that suggest he's about quit or be fired? Do you have any information suggesting that the Sox will make a change in their hierarchy this season?



Once again, I won't speak for other posters. If there is something wrong with me, perhaps it is that I am too inflexible in my thinking, as I'm loath to jump to conclusions unless I have a significant portion of the information about a subject. That's the reason for my position on this issue. I don't believe that Robin's departure is eminent because I have no information that supports the idea, and I won't speculate by tossing out ideas that may inflame the board.
Let me get this straight. You think Leyland's not invulnerable to being fired first despite being a HOF, not fired after a slow start last year where he led his team to the World Series, and having a team about as likely to miss the playoffs as you are of winning the lottery, but the notion of a second year manager being fired or leaving (when that happens all the time) in the last year of his deal (when that happens all the time) on a team that is riddled with flaws (when that happens all the time) after managing a team that fell short the year before (when that happens all the time) is so completely out there that I have to have some sort of agenda.

It's my best guess. I'm not picking someone else and then after the fact saying "oh, i wanted to pick Robin". I don't think ANYONE is getting fired early in the AL.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
TheOldRoman TheOldRoman is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
What, that a manager in the last year of his contract on a team largely predicted not to compete is my prediction for the first to go?
First off, false. He is under contract for another year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Robin blew it last year. Didn't extend. And the Sox are largely (optimistic) favored to not be good.
This should be filed as example 1 in the Munchman dictionary of sensationalism. The Sox are OPTIMISTICALLY favored to not be good? What the **** does that even mean? This team won 85 games last year, and only its collapse allowed the GREATEST TEAM EVARRRR to make the playoffs, and it is optimistic for people to think the team will be bad? If optimistic people think the team will be bad, what are pessimistic people thinking? Worse than the Astros?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The **** is wrong with me? The **** is wrong with all of you.
What's wrong with you? You are apparently doing an impression of Jay Mariotti. Right down to getting belligerent when people question your outlansish claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Let me get this straight. You think Leyland's not invulnerable to being fired first despite being a HOF, not fired after a slow start last year where he led his team to the World Series...
Nobody is arguing that he is not unlikely to be fired. That being said, Detroit fans have more than had their fill with him, and the blame for them missing the playoffs last year, which they would have had the Sox not fallen apart, would have fallen on his shoulders. He has seemed aloof and like he doesn't really care to keep managing at times. SO... if the Tigers were to get off to a terrible start for whatever reason, it wouldn't be implausible he would say "**** it" and retire, or even that Detroit and its colossal payroll would think he wasn't the guy for the job. Not likely, but not unimaginable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
... having a team about as likely to miss the playoffs as you are of winning the lottery.
This should be filed as example 2 in the Munchman dictionary of sensationalism. Set aside the fact that the Tigers aren't even close to being thise once-in-a-decade powerhouse you proclaim them to be. Some VERY talented teams throughout history have done faceplants. The Red Sox in 2011 were picked by pretty much everyone to win the World Series, and we know how that turned out. The White Sox won 99, 90, and 89 games in 05, 06, and 08 respetively, but everything went wrong in 2007 and they won 72. That year was clearly an outlier in retrospect. The 2008 Tigers were the team to beat in the Central, and the finished in last place. Nobody here is predicting the Tigers to finish in last, but claiming that it would be a one-in-several-hundred-million chance, so essentially the greatest failure in baseball history, is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
...but the notion of a second year manager being fired or leaving (when that happens all the time).
Please present instances of an acclaimed rookie manager who gave up in the middle of year two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
...in the last year of his deal (when that happens all the time)
Once again, completely false, but please present instances of a manager quitting midseason just because they were in a contract year. And don't say Jim Riggelman because he was pissed that his contract wasn't going to be renewed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
...on a team that is riddled with flaws (when that happens all the time)
Munch, if the team is so terrible and riddled with flaws, why would he get fired?! Unless you think he will become enraged at the team's supposed lack of talent and storm off, the only option is him being fired. And since nobody is proclaiming the Sox division favorites or declaring "playoffs or bust", the only way Robin gets fired this year is if he exposes himself to a female coworker or pulls a Mel Gibson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
...is so completely out there that I have to have some sort of agenda.
You have demonstrated in the past that you have an agenda. And if anyone else were to post that Robin would leave, 1) we'd give them the benefit of the doubt, and 2) they would proclaim it was just a crazy hunch and not offer up absurdities to back up their position and claim that their hunch was at all likely.
__________________
In Kenny We Trust 7/31/05
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
First off, false. He is under contract for another year.


This should be filed as example 1 in the Munchman dictionary of sensationalism. The Sox are OPTIMISTICALLY favored to not be good? What the **** does that even mean? This team won 85 games last year, and only its collapse allowed the GREATEST TEAM EVARRRR to make the playoffs, and it is optimistic for people to think the team will be bad? If optimistic people think the team will be bad, what are pessimistic people thinking? Worse than the Astros?!

What's wrong with you? You are apparently doing an impression of Jay Mariotti. Right down to getting belligerent when people question your outlansish claims.


Nobody is arguing that he is not unlikely to be fired. That being said, Detroit fans have more than had their fill with him, and the blame for them missing the playoffs last year, which they would have had the Sox not fallen apart, would have fallen on his shoulders. He has seemed aloof and like he doesn't really care to keep managing at times. SO... if the Tigers were to get off to a terrible start for whatever reason, it wouldn't be implausible he would say "**** it" and retire, or even that Detroit and its colossal payroll would think he wasn't the guy for the job. Not likely, but not unimaginable.


This should be filed as example 2 in the Munchman dictionary of sensationalism. Set aside the fact that the Tigers aren't even close to being thise once-in-a-decade powerhouse you proclaim them to be. Some VERY talented teams throughout history have done faceplants. The Red Sox in 2011 were picked by pretty much everyone to win the World Series, and we know how that turned out. The White Sox won 99, 90, and 89 games in 05, 06, and 08 respetively, but everything went wrong in 2007 and they won 72. That year was clearly an outlier in retrospect. The 2008 Tigers were the team to beat in the Central, and the finished in last place. Nobody here is predicting the Tigers to finish in last, but claiming that it would be a one-in-several-hundred-million chance, so essentially the greatest failure in baseball history, is absurd.


Please present instances of an acclaimed rookie manager who gave up in the middle of year two.

Once again, completely false, but please present instances of a manager quitting midseason just because they were in a contract year. And don't say Jim Riggelman because he was pissed that his contract wasn't going to be renewed.


Munch, if the team is so terrible and riddled with flaws, why would he get fired?! Unless you think he will become enraged at the team's supposed lack of talent and storm off, the only option is him being fired. And since nobody is proclaiming the Sox division favorites or declaring "playoffs or bust", the only way Robin gets fired this year is if he exposes himself to a female coworker or pulls a Mel Gibson.


You have demonstrated in the past that you have an agenda. And if anyone else were to post that Robin would leave, 1) we'd give them the benefit of the doubt, and 2) they would proclaim it was just a crazy hunch and not offer up absurdities to back up their position and claim that their hunch was at all likely.
The Sox are not favored to be good. They won 85 games last year. They aren't many (or any that I can find) that predict them to even do that well this year.

Between Robin outright talking about walking away and the chances of being fired, I don't see why you're attacking me.

Managers dealt bad hands get fired every year. Managers get fired in year two all the time.

I thought this was Robin's last year. Am I wrong on this?

The Tigers are a once in a generation type of team. They have the best pitcher in baseball, the best hitter in baseball, and the best left handed hitter in baseball. They've got one of the three best 1-5 rotations in baseball (probably the best). You can think that's not true all you want, but there are plenty more people that do see it that way. Baseball people, mostly. Yeah, they might be wrong. But are they wrong enough for Leyland to get fired? That's a phenomenal stretch on your part. I'm not taking that bet.

I don't see what our records in previous years have to do with the 2013 Tigers.

There is zero reason I should be attacked for predicting, and this is a prediction COMPETITION thread, that a manager in Robin's position could go first. And it's even more laughable when there's evidence of actual ridiculousness afoot.

edit: I'm really tired of hearing the agenda angle, and OH if it were another poster...bull****. Whether its a sox thread or a bulls thread or whatever, any negativity from any poster is being met with such outright homer-ism lately its childish. Learn to discuss instead of attack. The problem isn't the negative ideas. It's the way you're incapable of processing them.

Last edited by blandman; 04-04-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM
TheOldRoman TheOldRoman is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The Sox are not favored to be good. They won 85 games last year. They aren't many (or any that I can find) that predict them to even do that well this year.

Between Robin outright talking about walking away and the chances of being fired, I don't see why you're attacking me.

Managers dealt bad hands get fired every year. Managers get fired in year two all the time.

I thought this was Robin's last year. Am I wrong on this?

The Tigers are a once in a generation type of team. They have the best pitcher in baseball, the best hitter in baseball, and the best left handed hitter in baseball. They've got one of the three best 1-5 rotations in baseball (probably the best). You can think that's not true all you want, but there are plenty more people that do see it that way. Baseball people, mostly. Yeah, they might be wrong. But are they wrong enough for Leyland to get fired? That's a phenomenal stretch on your part. I'm not taking that bet.

I don't see what our records in previous years have to do with the 2013 Tigers.

There is zero reason I should be attacked for predicting, and this is a prediction COMPETITION thread, that a manager in Robin's position could go first. And it's even more laughable when there's evidence of actual ridiculousness afoot.

edit: I'm really tired of hearing the agenda angle, and OH if it were another poster...bull****. Whether its a sox thread or a bulls thread or whatever, any negativity from any poster is being met with such outright homer-ism lately its childish. Learn to discuss instead of attack. The problem isn't the negative ideas. It's the way you're incapable of processing them.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,244
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
There is zero reason I should be attacked for predicting, and this is a prediction COMPETITION thread, that a manager in Robin's position could go first. And it's even more laughable when there's evidence of actual ridiculousness afoot.
For the ****ing millionth time, nobody is attacking you
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The Sox are not favored to be good. They won 85 games last year. They aren't many (or any that I can find) that predict them to even do that well this year.
Yes, you've said this before, but you haven't explained why the Sox's predicted struggles would be sufficient to get Robin Ventura fired or cause him to resign. Nothing I've seen from Robin suggests he's about to walk away from managing the Sox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
Between Robin outright talking about walking away and the chances of being fired, I don't see why you're attacking me.
No one is attacking you, as doublem23 already pointed out. I am attacking your position, which is an entirely different issue than an attack against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
Managers dealt bad hands get fired every year. Managers get fired in year two all the time.
What does that have to do with Robin's status as manager of the Chicago White Sox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
I thought this was Robin's last year. Am I wrong on this?
An article published by Yahoo Sports specifically states that Ventura was offered a one-year contract extension by Rick Hahn that would have kept him under contract until 2015. Ventura's reason for turning down the extension was he wanted to prove that he was "still the right guy" for the job by the time his contract was up, rather than agreeing to an extension he didn't believe he'd earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Ventura
"For them, I want them to have two years to think I知 still the right guy for the job for that to continue to go. It wasn稚 anything that was a big deal, so I知 not holding out for anything or disappointed in not wanting to stay here. I think at the end of that, that痴 when you talk about it. I知 not worried about trying to extend anything right now. I知 more worried with this team in this spring training than I知 worried about 2015.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
The Tigers are a once in a generation type of team. They have the best pitcher in baseball, the best hitter in baseball, and the best left handed hitter in baseball. They've got one of the three best 1-5 rotations in baseball (probably the best). You can think that's not true all you want, but there are plenty more people that do see it that way. Baseball people, mostly. Yeah, they might be wrong. But are they wrong enough for Leyland to get fired? That's a phenomenal stretch on your part. I'm not taking that bet.
Prince Fielder is not the best left-handed hitter in baseball. That honor belongs to someone who plays on the West Coast. Why are you anointing the Tigers as the 2013 World Champions when the season is three days old? It seems to me that they had the best hitter, pitcher, and fat man in baseball last season, and they didn't win a damn thing!

Did I miss their World Series victory? I thought the Giants won the World Series. Am I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
I don't see what our records in previous years have to do with the 2013 Tigers.
The Sox previous won-loss records have nothing to do with 2013 Tigers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
There is zero reason I should be attacked for predicting, and this is a prediction COMPETITION thread, that a manager in Robin's position could go first. And it's even more laughable when there's evidence of actual ridiculousness afoot.
Evidence? What evidence? Show me this supposed evidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
edit: I'm really tired of hearing the agenda angle, and OH if it were another poster...bull****. Whether its a sox thread or a bulls thread or whatever, any negativity from any poster is being met with such outright homer-ism lately its childish.
You'll forgive me if I can't stop from laughing at this part. You don't like people accusing you of having an agenda? Stop posting nonsense that's not supported by facts. If you stick to posting material that can be supported with news articles and other reliable information, no one will find fault with you or your position on a particular issue. I certainly won't, even if I don't necessarily like what you've chosen to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
Learn to discuss instead of attack. The problem isn't the negative ideas. It's the way you're incapable of processing them.
I'll limit what I say here because I'm not a moderator, but I would suggest you re-read the first and third lines of this passage.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Yes, you've said this before, but you haven't explained why the Sox's predicted struggles would be sufficient to get Robin Ventura fired or cause him to resign. Nothing I've seen from Robin suggests he's about to walk away from managing the Sox.
If you want to ignore his statement after not renewing, that's fine. But don't act like there's no reason to suggest it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
No one is attacking you, as doublem23 already pointed out. I am attacking your position, which is an entirely different issue than an attack against you.
What the **** is wrong with you? What the **** is wrong with you?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that something was wrong with you. It's just that those are what those words mean. You know, in the literal sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
What does that have to do with Robin's status as manager of the Chicago White Sox?
What does managers consistently being fired before their third season have to do with any second year manager? EVERYTHING


Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
An article published by Yahoo Sports specifically states that Ventura was offered a one-year contract extension by Rick Hahn that would have kept him under contract until 2015. Ventura's reason for turning down the extension was he wanted to prove that he was "still the right guy" for the job by the time his contract was up, rather than agreeing to an extension he didn't believe he'd earned.
Right. Which means he isn't sure...



Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Prince Fielder is not the best left-handed hitter in baseball. That honor belongs to someone who plays on the West Coast. Why are you anointing the Tigers as the 2013 World Champions when the season is three days old? It seems to me that they had the best hitter, pitcher, and fat man in baseball last season, and they didn't win a damn thing!
You'd have really hard time arguing for anyone else if you look at the last five years. Not that you couldn't. But most arguments on it end with Fielder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Did I miss their World Series victory? I thought the Giants won the World Series. Am I wrong?
How are the Giants going to cause the Tigers to fail in the regular season and get Leyland fired?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
The Sox previous won-loss records have nothing to do with 2013 Tigers.
When did I imply they did? Unless you mean that our previous production has no bearing on projections for this year. If that's your position, fine. But don't knock empirical evidence as a type of evidence just because you don't' believe in it. You are welcome to disagree with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Evidence? What evidence? Show me this supposed evidence!
That the average MLB manager doesn't last three years? That we're coming off a flop of a September? That Robin himself openly questioned whether he was right for the job?

I don't have time for this. You aren't looking at evidence. You're running an inquisition.



Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
You'll forgive me if I can't stop from laughing at this part. You don't like people accusing you of having an agenda? Stop posting nonsense that's not supported by facts. If you stick to posting material that can be supported with news articles and other reliable information, no one will find fault with you or your position on a particular issue. I certainly won't, even if I don't necessarily like what you've chosen to share.



I'll limit what I say here because I'm not a moderator, but I would suggest you re-read the first and third lines of this passage.
What the **** is wrong with you? What the **** is wrong with you?

I've provided more than enough reasoning for my opinion. In a competition thread where I'm making a guess. What you're doing is trolling. I'm not a mod, but I suggest you reread what you wrote and realize your own god damn agenda.

Last edited by blandman; 04-04-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
If you want to ignore his statement after not renewing, that's fine. But don't act like there's no reason to suggest it.
I'm not ignoring his statement at all. I included it in my previous post. He said he would wait until 2015 to worry about a contract extension. That doesn't mean he's going to quit.

The last time I signed a contract, I waited until the last possible day before I turned it in. Why? I wasn't having second thoughts about the job. I wanted to have time to review the contract and also to have an attorney review it, because my contract includes a "no compete" clause. I wanted to be sure that I understood the exact language of the clause, so that I didn't inadvertently violate the contract at a later time.

Robin's situation is different, but that doesn't mean he's going to quit. A number of athletes opt out of their contracts when possible not because they intend to walk, but because they want to test their market value as a negotiation tool. I don't know if that's what Ventura is doing, but nothing about his behavior this season has left me with the impression he questions his fitness as White Sox manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
What the **** is wrong with you? What the **** is wrong with you?
I don't why you're repeating it, as I said it once in the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that something was wrong with you. It's just that those are what those words mean. You know, in the literal sense.
My implying that you are in error (something is wrong with you) is an attack? Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
What does managers consistently being fired before their third season have to do with any second year manager? EVERYTHING
Ridiculous. You cannot assume that Robin will lose his job based on other managerial changes, particularly not if the White Sox perform well. I know they're not expected to win, but expectations don't always have a basis in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
Right. Which means he isn't sure...
He said that he wants to be sure management is satisfied, not that he believes he isn't qualified. I've said similar things about myself, not because I was questioning my fitness for a particular job, but because I recognize that my wishes aren't necessarily those of the people around me. That's life. Robin understands that, and seems to have a good perspective on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
You'd have really hard time arguing for anyone else if you look at the last five years. Not that you couldn't. But most arguments on it end with Fielder.
I don't buy that, because every time I hear "best left-handed hitter" mentioned, names like Hamilton, Votto, and Cano are the ones I hear mentioned most often. I've never heard Prince Fielder praised as the best left-handed hitter in baseball. I've never even heard his name praised as the best left-handed power hitter in baseball, as many people still believe that if Ryan Howard can stay healthy (not likely), that title remains his to lose.

If you can show me an article where Fielder is listed as the best left-handed in Major League Baseball, I'll reconsider my position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
How are the Giants going to cause the Tigers to fail in the regular season and get Leyland fired?
They aren't. That wasn't my point. You referred to the Detroit Tigers as "a once in a generation" team, citing the presence of Cabrera, Verlander, and Fielder as reasons why. I was simply pointing out that those three were also present last season, a season that saw the Tigers win absolutely nothing. How can you call a team that finished second best a "once in a generation team?" That's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
When did I imply they did? Unless you mean that our previous production has no bearing on projections for this year. If that's your position, fine. But don't knock empirical evidence as a type of evidence just because you don't' believe in it. You are welcome to disagree with it.
That's exactly what I mean. One can estimate future production based on past performance, but an estimate is not a guarantee, something I've stressed over and over again on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
That the average MLB manager doesn't last three years? That we're coming off a flop of a September? That Robin himself openly questioned whether he was right for the job?
1. I addressed the first point earlier in this post.

2. The White Sox outperformed expectations, so it's hard to believe that anyone would fire Ventura over their September collapse. His job could certainly be in jeopardy if such a thing kept happening, but we're not at that point yet. Right now, Sox management is extremely pleased with Ventura and his staff. Until evidence surfaces that proves otherwise, I'm comfortable with Ventura as manager.

3. I addressed this point, as well. Ventura said nothing that led me to believe he questions his fitness for the job. He simply left open the possibility that management would change its mind, which is a realistic point of view. Robin played for several different managers during his time with the Sox, and he probably realizes that decisions regarding each person's job status weren't always made based on performance, and is mentally preparing himself for the possibility that factors beyond his control may determine his future as White Sox manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
I don't have time for this. You aren't looking at evidence. You're running an inquisition.
If it makes you feel better, I don't have any plans to burn you at the stake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
What the **** is wrong with you? What the **** is wrong with you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
I've provided more than enough reasoning for my opinion. In a competition thread where I'm making a guess. What you're doing is trolling. I'm not a mod, but I suggest you reread what you wrote and realize your own god damn agenda.
You're accusing me of trolling when you pollute this board with more unsubstantiated bull**** than any other poster? That's rich.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.