White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Stay Classy, Texas

Hamilton's Wife Called Security Due to Taunts & Insults

Amazing what people will do over laundry. Hamilton decides he wants to play somewhere else, and people harass his wife.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:58 PM
WSI Personality

I think Hamilton is a phony and theres not a city in MLB that wouldn't have booed him. (Except for maybe St Louis). Hamilton didn't help matters by calling Texas a non baseball town before the game either. I personally feel Hamilton views fans as people who are lower than him so it wouldn't surprise me if his wife went a little overboard on this.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'll never understand fans who boo great players for leaving. He helped revitalize baseball in Texas and lead them to their only two world series appearances. You don't have to cheer him, but harassing his wife is beyond ridiculous.

"If he hit somebody, we canít charge the mound because heís too big." -Adrian Beltre on Adam Dunn
Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

What those people did is wrong. Here's the thing what did Hamilton truly expect? You left their team for a rival, they aren't gonna like you anymore. Then you talk **** about them personally, now they are gonna hate you. Add in lots of alcohol and the human nature of gang-like mentality and this is what happens.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
What those people did is wrong. Here's the thing what did Hamilton truly expect? You left their team for a rival, they aren't gonna like you anymore. Then you talk **** about them personally, now they are gonna hate you. Add in lots of alcohol and the human nature of gang-like mentality and this is what happens.
I'm sure he expected to be booed, and he did, in fact, indicate that the boos didn't bother either him or his wife. What he was most upset by was the language used within earshot of his children. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to tone down their language around kids, nor do I think it's appropriate for people to harass Hamilton's wife, who still lives in the area.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I'm sure he expected to be booed, and he did, in fact, indicate that the boos didn't bother either him or his wife. What he was most upset by was the language used within earshot of his children. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to tone down their language around kids, nor do I think it's appropriate for people to harass Hamilton's wife, who still lives in the area.
Right its not appropriate but people suck. Honestly if I was him I wouldn't have let my family go to this series and maybe any game in Texas all year. Thats just me.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Right its not appropriate but people suck. Honestly if I was him I wouldn't have let my family go to this series and maybe any game in Texas all year. Thats just me.
Well, I'm sure his wife and children won't be attending any games that he's not playing in, so it's unlikely they'll be at Rangers games unless the Angels are in town. In any event, I would hope that Rangers fans get this out of their system this weekend, so that they can leave Hamilton and his family alone. If they want to boo Josh because he chose to play elsewhere, that's their business. Shouting obscenities at his wife and kids? Uncalled for.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
. I personally feel Hamilton views fans as people who are lower than him so it wouldn't surprise me if his wife went a little overboard on this.
Given the way people over worship professional athletes, can you blame some of them for thinking they're above some people? Not saying it justifies it, but if you had people falling all over themselves in your mere presence, I doubt any of us would be real grounded.

There are those that are, but not many of the big timers.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Given the way people over worship professional athletes, can you blame some of them for thinking they're above some people? Not saying it justifies it, but if you had people falling all over themselves in your mere presence, I doubt any of us would be real grounded.

There are those that are, but not many of the big timers.
I don't want to steer this thread in the wrong direction, but I wonder if people's perception of Hamilton is influenced by the fact that he's open about his religious beliefs, which may make some uncomfortable. I don't he's anywhere near as obnoxious about his faith as Tebow, whom I find to be one of sport biggest attention whores, but I wonder if his background has a negative effect on how people view him.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:45 PM
WSI Prelate

I'll keep it simple.

Josh Hamilton is a douche who put up great numbers but always seemed to have an excuse for crapping the bed too often.

There are many quality Rangers fans and many quality Texans, but there are also a lot of douchebag Texans and many of them go to Rangers games.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I'll keep it simple.

Josh Hamilton is a douche who put up great numbers but always seemed to have an excuse for crapping the bed too often.

There are many quality Rangers fans and many quality Texans, but there are also a lot of douchebag Texans and many of them go to Rangers games.
Believe it or not, I actually see a fair number of similarities between Josh Hamilton and LeBron James (prior to winning the NBA Championship). Both have been regarded as "The Chosen One" in their respective sports, although James' rise to the top has been largely unencumbered by the personal setbacks that nearly destroyed Hamilton's life.

Hamilton seems to perform at an extremely high level without (apparently) expending a great deal of effort, which causes people to assume that he should produce at this clip all the time. His inability to produce in the biggest moments has frustrated fans who believe that he should be able to deliver whenever he's called up. Unfortunately, no one is that good.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I don't want to steer this thread in the wrong direction, but I wonder if people's perception of Hamilton is influenced by the fact that he's open about his religious beliefs, which may make some uncomfortable. I don't he's anywhere near as obnoxious about his faith as Tebow, whom I find to be one of sport biggest attention whores, but I wonder if his background has a negative effect on how people view him.
I think i'm more mad at him because he killed me in this fantasy baseball league i'm in. I have to wonder if that played a part with my negative comments on him now. I still think he's a phony thougth.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Believe it or not, I actually see a fair number of similarities between Josh Hamilton and LeBron James (prior to winning the NBA Championship). Both have been regarded as "The Chosen One" in their respective sports, although James' rise to the top has been largely unencumbered by the personal setbacks that nearly destroyed Hamilton's life.

Hamilton seems to perform at an extremely high level without (apparently) expending a great deal of effort, which causes people to assume that he should produce at this clip all the time. His inability to produce in the biggest moments has frustrated fans who believe that he should be able to deliver whenever he's called up. Unfortunately, no one is that good.
The better comparison to me would perhaps be Bryce Harper. Hamilton was once a big time prospect, but was he ever the undisputed #1? Hamilton also had substance abuse problems, and returned from those. He stikes me as having an abrasive personality, but I wish him no ill will.

As for the second paragraph, I don't think James doesn't exude a great deal of effort (double negative, sorry). He might just make it look that easy because of his unique combination of size, strength, and athleticism. Hamilton seems one of the more gifted players in MLB, but not unusually so. He's not even the second best hitter on his team.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The better comparison to me would perhaps be Bryce Harper. Hamilton was once a big time prospect, but was he ever the undisputed #1? Hamilton also had substance abuse problems, and returned from those. He stikes me as having an abrasive personality, but I wish him no ill will.

As for the second paragraph, I don't think James doesn't exude a great deal of effort (double negative, sorry). He might just make it look that easy because of his unique combination of size, strength, and athleticism. Hamilton seems one of the more gifted players in MLB, but not unusually so. He's not even the second best hitter on his team.
He was selected first overall by Tampa Bay in 1999 and was named Minor League Player of the Year in 2000, so he was on track to be before drug problems delayed his ascent. As to your second point, that's why I included the word apparently, as James (and Hamilton) often appear to be putting forth less effort than they actually are, because of their superior abilities.

I agree that Trout and Pujols are better hitters, but I don't know that their presence in any way diminishes Hamilton's standing in Major League Baseball. He would be the best hitter on any other team he played for, save for the Detroit Tigers or the Los Angeles Dodgers. I actually think Justin Upton could be a better player if he can ever put together a full season of baseball played at a high level. He certainly has the tools.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
He was selected first overall by Tampa Bay in 1999 and was named Minor League Player of the Year in 2000, so he was on track to be before drug problems delayed his ascent. As to your second point, that's why I included the word apparently, as James (and Hamilton) often appear to be putting forth less effort than they actually are, because of their superior abilities.

I agree that Trout and Pujols are better hitters, but I don't know that their presence in any way diminishes Hamilton's standing in Major League Baseball. He would be the best hitter on any other team he played for, save for the Detroit Tigers or the Los Angeles Dodgers. I actually think Justin Upton could be a better player if he can ever put together a full season of baseball played at a high level. He certainly has the tools.
I thought more of Harper as I remember hearing of Harper when he was maybe 15 or 16, same thing with Lebron. Hamilton was the #1 pick, but I don't think he was as widely known as a young teenager.