White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 12:15 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Absolutely untrue. I've seen plenty of guys get booed on their return. Hell, Twins fans booed A.J. mercilessly, even though he was traded, and was a very good player while with the Twins. When I ask Twins fans why they boo A.J., they don't seem to know why.

Cleveland fans booed Thome. Need I say more?
I can think of 2 returnees Rangers fans have ever booed - A-Rod and Hamilton. Michael Young will get a hand this year, so will Mike Napoli. Go all out, give it your best, you'll get cheers when you return. Dog it, get booed.

I can't explain Twins fans booing AJ and I certainly can't see why Thome would be booed.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I actually don't think he said anything inflammatory. Texas is not a baseball state. It's a football environment, and always has been. The Rangers will never approach the level of notoriety or popularity that the Cowboys have attained. Hamilton's comments may not have been well-received, but they were accurate.

Of course, I wonder if Hamilton took the time to consider that Los Angeles is a baseball city because of the Dodgers, not because of the Angels, who have always been Southern California's second team.
This sums it up. The Rangers are about the 3rd, maybe 4th, most popular team in Texas. Heck, some high school teams probably have more popularity than the Rangers do.

Whatever. Hate Hamilton all you want. I'm not going to worship the guy but he's far from the 'Barry Bonds school of jackassery' territory in my book.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 AM
WSI Regular

I usually go down there for Sox vs Rangers. And that is Rangers fans for you. Its a football mentality towards baseball. Sox would win the 1st two games but it Texas wins the 3rd one. The A-holes down there would let you know how much your team sucks. I am going to the Houston series now to avoid those idiots down there.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
(Some) Sox fans booed Frank Thomas, though only after giving him a standing ovation and once he hit the first of his 2 HRs that game.
I actually thought that was funny, as did Hawk, who was laughing when he heard fans booing Frank when he stepped into the box. Of course, Thomas launched his second home run of evening a few pitches later.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I actually thought that was funny, as did Hawk, who was laughing when he heard fans booing Frank when he stepped into the box. Of course, Thomas launched his second home run of evening a few pitches later.
One of my fondest memories at a baseball game and one of the more fun games I've ever attended.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:43 PM
WSI High Priest

As White Sox Fans, I am a little shocked at the people lumping all or most Rangers fans in with the accused. After the Ligue incident, and then Sox fans assaulting Craig Biggio's Wife during the world series, you would think we of all people would get a couple douchebag's can make us all look bad. I would bet that is exactly what happened here.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
As White Sox Fans, I am a little shocked at the people lumping all or most Rangers fans in with the accused. After the Ligue incident, and then Sox fans assaulting Craig Biggio's Wife during the world series, you would think we of all people would get a couple douchebag's can make us all look bad. I would bet that is exactly what happened here.
You're right, but that's never stopped anyone here before.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I've lived in Texas for 14 years. I can attest this state has more than its fair share of douchebags. Not all sports fans in Texas are douchebags, but most douchebags in Texas are sports fans.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
One idiot slapped her. It was deplorable, but let's not exaggerate things here by saying "Sox fans" did this. You make it sound like a crowd of Sox fans attacked her.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
One idiot slapped her. It was deplorable, but let's not exaggerate things here by saying "Sox fans" did this. You make it sound like a crowd of Sox fans attacked her.
Sorry, but that was exactly my point. Rangers fans who BOO Hamilton, perfectly fine. The ones who went after this wife and kids, not okay at all. That said, I don't think all Rangers fans are nearly as bad as those ones, nor do I think all Sox fans are like the one who assaulted Biggio's wife.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I've lived in Texas for 14 years. I can attest this state has more than its fair share of douchebags.
As does every state/city.