White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Default No mention of "announced attendance today?"

According to Cubbie cheerleader, David Haugh, over at the Chicago Tribune "A crowd of 40,083 filled the seats..." No way were there any where near that many filling the seats when Norichika Aoki leadoff the game. And according to the estimate of the blog BleedCubbieBlue there were only 34,000 at the game.

At one time the Tribune could hardly report a Sox home game without using the sneering expression, "announced attendance." It's funny now that Haugh is oblivious to all those folks in the stands wearing Wrigley seat camouflage.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Nobody gives a rat's ass.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Nobody gives a rat's ass.
Thanks for that sagacious comment. Of course you're right, that's why there are 200+ posts about the Cubbies moving to Rosemont.

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 04-08-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 AM
WSI Personality

Default The Media

The media in Chicago looks at the White Sox the same way they look at the Republican Party. The bias against the White Sox is so obvious, I try not to let it bother me anymore. Most White Sox fans agree with me on the subject, and if you think the media favors the bad guys on the Northside now, imagine what it would be like if the Cubs were actually any good and they actually won a pennant/World Championship. There's an article in todays Sun Times where the Cubs management team maintains there concentrating on the business side of baseball and not on the baseball side. They're basically saying they don't want to be or can't be bothered with what goes on the field. If the White Sox organization said they're not focused as to what goes on the field, they would get dumped on by the media. The Cubs organization must feel that the Cubs fans will support the team regardless of what the team does on the field. The media goes along with all of this.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The bias against the White Sox is so obvious, I try not to let it bother me anymore. Most White Sox fans agree with me on the subject, and if you think the media favors the bad guys on the Northside now, imagine what it would be like if the Cubs were actually any good and they actually won a pennant/World Championship.
I've actually thought of this from time to time. Cub fans would become insufferable in a way that would make Red Sox fans look modest. The local and national sports media would be whipped into a frenzy the likes of which we'd never seen before.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:49 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Thanks for that sagacious comment. Of course you're right, that's why there are 200+ posts about the Cubbies moving to Rosemont.
Most of that thread is about people discussing the viability of moving any team, be it the Cubs or Sox, to the suburbs.

But yeah, nobody gives a **** how many people went to Wrigley Opening Day.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
According to Cubbie cheerleader, David Haugh, over at the Chicago Tribune "A crowd of 40,083 filled the seats..." No way were there any where near that many filling the seats when Norichika Aoki leadoff the game. And according to the estimate of the blog BleedCubbieBlue there were only 34,000 at the game.

At one time the Tribune could hardly report a Sox home game without using the sneering expression, "announced attendance." It's funny now that Haugh is oblivious to all those folks in the stands wearing Wrigley seat camouflage.
You made it a whole week into the season without the obsession. I applaud your restraint. Let's go for all of April next year.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
You made it a whole week into the season without the obsession. I applaud your restraint. Let's go for all of April next year.
Lighten up, you'll lower your stress levels.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

In the modern world there is really very little use for traditional manhood, in fact we men are becoming obselete. Internet bullying is a poor substitute, but that is what we are fast coming to. I don't give a rats ass about golf, Mad Men, hip hop, reality TV, or the WWE just to name a few. This is a site for White Sox fans and the personalities and interests will be many and varied. Who am I to crash anyone else's party? Life is tough enough, our interests, likes and dislikes help keep us going.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
In the modern world there is really very little use for traditional manhood, in fact we men are becoming obselete. Internet bullying is a poor substitute, but that is what we are fast coming to. I don't give a rats ass about golf, Mad Men, hip hop, reality TV, or the WWE just to name a few. This is a site for White Sox fans and the personalities and interests will be many and varied. Who am I to crash anyone else's party? Life is tough enough, our interests, likes and dislikes help keep us going.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
In the modern world there is really very little use for traditional manhood, in fact we men are becoming obselete.
You know, we really don't spend enough time on the issue of the decline of traditional manhood.

I sat here trying to come up with a zing to the above comment, but then realized I wasn't going to be able to write anything funnier than the comment itself.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM
WSI Regular

I'm a little late to the thread, but if David Haugh saw filled seats yesterday, I'm going to have to question the accuracy of anything he reports on in the future. Down the lines, UD and LD, there were large blocks of empties. More empty seats throughout the stands than you would guess. It was a fairly nice day for a game too.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You know, we really don't spend enough time on the issue of the decline of traditional manhood.

I sat here trying to come up with a zing to the above comment, but then realized I wasn't going to be able to write anything funnier than the comment itself.
Well then zing Hana Rosin in the Atlantic monthly, anthropologist Lionel Tiger, David Gergen, historian James MacGregor Burns, and the Columbia University Business School, just for a short list. There are many more. I always thought you had the Mensa quality brain, surprised you would be so dismissive of a newer wave of thinking. As for me, I rarely use teal and I meant it to be joking about Crawdad's reception, and a little serious at the same time. After all, no one is immune to the forces of change or evolution if you prefer that term. As for the local sports media nothing much changes or evolves there, and you may or may not catch hell here for posting as much.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I really don't understand your perpetual personal digs at me. Don't like my "obsession," try ignoring my posts.

I am going to try to follow what I said last year in response to one of your personal attacks of yours on me:

Quote:
For my part, I truly want to follow my own words, "Balanced, reasonable discussion is helped without ad hominem attacks. Discuss the point, not the person."

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 04-09-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
I'm a little late to the thread, but if David Haugh saw filled seats yesterday, I'm going to have to question the accuracy of anything he reports on in the future. Down the lines, UD and LD, there were large blocks of empties. More empty seats throughout the stands than you would guess. It was a fairly nice day for a game too.
Thank you!

I don't care if the Cubbies draw well. If they get 40,000 for 81 home games, fine with me. Good for them. If the Cubbies move Rosemont, fine, that's not a subject I care about.

I really do wonder how Haugh could have honestly made that comment in his report about the game. I am surprised too that the number of no-shows was not in his story and not covered in other media outlets that I know of. Kudos to Al Yellon in his blog for commenting on the no-shows. I don't expect things to be fair but stating something that is clearly wrong, and being kind, misleading is interesting to me at least, especially in view of how often the Tribune clobbers the Sox for "announced attendance."