White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 AM
WSI High Priest

The throwbacks are made of doubleknit polyester, the same as the originals.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I think that's got a lot to do with it. I also think that players today prefer a baggier look to their jerseys, especially the pants. I know some of the old timers rag on that look, but the 1983 jerseys took it to an extreme.
No, I was used to much baggier uniforms from the 50's and 60's. I never liked the skin tight uniforms.

Quote:
I know a lot of traditionalists don't like the long pants, but I'd say that the latter looks a lot more like a baseball uniform while the former looks like a track suit.
I know I don't like the long pants. And I REALLY don't like that some wear them, some don't. The team should all be the same.

Quote:
But yeah, the belt makes such a huge difference. I was very surprised on Sunday at how much I liked the way the throwbacks looked. They were great.
Yeah, the belt was a significant improvement over the wide elastic that looked like a girdle.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
WSI Personality

The '83 Sox uniforms are the ugliest uniforms ever put on a Major League Team with one eception....The Houston Astros...!!!

Just my thoughts..
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 PM
WSI Personality

The '83 Sox uniforms are the ugliest uniforms ever put on a Major League Team with one exception....The Houston Astros..!!

Just my thoughts..[/QUOTE]
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I generally find these jerseys to be pretty ugly, but I'm not going to lie... They looked pretty good yesterday. I think I am going to get tired of seeing them every Sunday home game, though
I didn't see the game and missed Quick Pitch on Sunday night, only seeing a quick highlight of the Viciedo home run, but I agree. The uniforms hold a nostalgic value, and it brings back memories of the 1983 team. By the time they were left behind for the blacki and silver, they seemed ugly, although they seemed a quantum upgrade from Veeck uniforms.

The general consensus around the country was that the 1983 uniforms were ugly after replacing ugly. The Sporting News, when it was still considered the baseball bible, ran a picture of Floyd Bannister's contorted face and pitch delivery from the SOX up on the big cover late in the 1983 season with the headline Winning Ugly. I think Doug Rader's comment resonated so much because so many considered the uniform ugly.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I think that's got a lot to do with it. I also think that players today prefer a baggier look to their jerseys, especially the pants. I know some of the old timers rag on that look, but the 1983 jerseys took it to an extreme. Look at how tight the pants on these guys are:

They may as well be painted on. For reference, here's how the ones the wore Sunday looked:

I know a lot of traditionalists don't like the long pants, but I'd say that the latter looks a lot more like a baseball uniform while the former looks like a track suit.

Also, not sure if this is true or not, but I'd also wager the current throwbacks are still made with modern fabric blends while the '83 jerseys were basically all polyester, right? I think that has a lot to do with it. The fabric in the top picture just has a dated, '80s look to it, much more than the bottom pic even though it's the same jersey design.

But yeah, the belt makes such a huge difference. I was very surprised on Sunday at how much I liked the way the throwbacks looked. They were great.
I grew up playing ball during that era and we wore the tight pants with the high side stirrups where you didn't see the top. Just a sign of the times I guess. Sort of glad that the players today wear their uniforms a little looser. Imagine the Big Donkey in those pants!

I personally would love to see the SOX wear 1920-ish replica uniforms where they actually wear white socks and would not be allowed to wear the long pants down to the shoes. I think those would be great for Sunday afternoon games! I think these would look good modernized with full button-down jerseys and maybe the SOX logo on the caps.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post
The '83 Sox uniforms are the ugliest uniforms ever put on a Major League Team with one eception....The Houston Astros...!!!

Just my thoughts..
The 83 were bad but but the ones previous were the all time worst.
I was almost embarrassed to be a Sox fan the years when that uniform was worn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-09-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post

Just my thoughts..
Really?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM
WSI Personality

or these?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 PM
WSI Regular

I saw a team photo with the '83 throwbacks and it looked like Beckham and a couple other guys were wearing a throwback blue sweatshirt. Anyone know where I could get my hands on one of those? They looked really sharp.

-The Simpsons
Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I grew up playing ball during that era and we wore the tight pants with the high side stirrups where you didn't see the top. Just a sign of the times I guess. Sort of glad that the players today wear their uniforms a little looser. Imagine the Big Donkey in those pants!

I personally would love to see the SOX wear 1920-ish replica uniforms where they actually wear white socks and would not be allowed to wear the long pants down to the shoes. I think those would be great for Sunday afternoon games! I think these would look good modernized with full button-down jerseys and maybe the SOX logo on the caps.
I don't mind the team being patriotic or whatever, but I think the camo hat look just downright stupid.

I would love to bring back the red, white, & blue uniform as worn in the 1917 season (and why not commemorate a champion, while we're at it):

11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJames View Post
I saw a team photo with the '83 throwbacks and it looked like Beckham and a couple other guys were wearing a throwback blue sweatshirt. Anyone know where I could get my hands on one of those? They looked really sharp.
They have a bunch of 83 merchandise on the SOX website. The sweatshirt you may have seen could be one of the following items. I'm not a big fan of the 83 uniforms, but it is nice to get some SOX gear that isn't gray or black. The navy blue and red merchandise is pretty cool!