White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Post Marlins

Was watching a little bit of the Marlins game last night in front of nobody at Marlins Park.
I don't know if this is going out on a limb but the Astros will win more games than Miami. The announcers sound depressed already, it's going to be a long year down in South Florida , if anyone there cares.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Was watching a little bit of the Marlins game last night in front of nobody at Marlins Park.
I don't know if this is going out on a limb but the Astros will win more games than Miami. The announcers sound depressed already, it's going to be a long year down in South Florida , if anyone there cares.
Loria ought to be banned from the sport.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.

Last edited by DSpivack; 04-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Lora ought to be banned from the sport.
Seriously, the man has killed two franchises now, maybe even three as it is unlikely that Tampa will ever get a stadium now. But he must be close to Selig and he certainly tows the line when it comes to spending so I suspect he won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Seriously, the man has killed two franchises now, maybe even three as it is unlikely that Tampa will ever get a stadium now. But he must be close to Selig and he certainly tows the line when it comes to spending so I suspect he won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
Owners are businessmen first.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 PM
MMXXIII

Miami-Dade County is on the hook for billions of dollars to finance this stadium by the time all the loans and bonds are repaid.

http://deadspin.com/5978964/the-real...n-the-billions

Seriously, if a Miamian killed Loria with his own bare hands in the middle of the busiest street in town in broad daylight, I have my doubts you could find a jury that would convict.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Miami-Dade County is on the hook for billions of dollars to finance this stadium by the time all the loans and bonds are repaid.

Seriously, if a Miamian killed Loria with his own bare hands in the middle of the busiest street in town in broad daylight, I have my doubts you could find a jury that would convict.
I'm forced to agree. Loria has been an absolute disaster for that franchise, and the way he's handled the team for the past year and a half has been particularly bad, even for him. I know that Bud Selig doesn't want to upset the owners, but he needs to do something about Loria.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I'm forced to agree. Loria has been an absolute disaster for that franchise, and the way he's handled the team for the past year and a half has been particularly bad, even for him. I know that Bud Selig doesn't want to upset the owners, but he needs to do something about Loria.
Is that deal still being investigated by the SEC?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

The City of Miami wanted baseball, badly. And now they have to pay for it.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 PM
WSI Personality

I feel like the most messed up part of the whole Miami situation is how unsurprising it is.

Are we REALLY surprised that South Florida can't support professional sports, even with a brand new stadium? Or that Loria, known for killing the Expos, probably shouldn't have been able to own another organization?

This whole thing is embarrassing because everyone saw it coming--except maybe the MLB.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
The City of Miami wanted baseball, badly. And now they have to pay for it.
What seems to bother them the most is not that they're on the hook for the stadium, but that they don't have the team they were promised. Most of their talent is playing at the opposite end of the continent.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
WSI Guru

The talk was he spent what he did last year in an effort to unload the Marlins on someone then use the money to buy the Mets.

Don't think even Buddy-boy would allow him to screw up a 3rd franchise at least while he's being investigated. According to the story on him in S.I. three weeks ago, those investigations are still on-going.

Lip
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 AM
2013 Preseason Prediction Contest Champion

Default Marlins

As a long time baseball fan who lives about an hour from that garish park in Little Havana--I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE MARLINS.

First season I went to about 20 games and then progressively fewer each year until I went to only one last year.

The almost obligatory "see the new stadium" trip. Park has some horrible site lines. Exiting was very exciting--through Overtown and other scenic sections to hook into 95 North due to police officers that didn't know squat.

MLB totally overlooked the extreme bias of residents from Broward County north towards anything My-am-uh. Transplanted Northeasterners exempted.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

I get the FSN feeds for many Marlins games and there are a lot of blue empty seats, even behind home plate and between the bases. What an embarrassment of a rebranding launch.

To start, I would tone down the interior ballpark colors from the Brady Bunch hues to a more traditional aqua-teal and bring back the original Marlins uniforms, just swap the "F" on the cap to a "M" with the Marlin.