White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
Colon pitched that game. He blew Bonds away three times that game. The first pitch he threw was a 97 mph fastball and Bonds killed it.
You're right. I just looked it up. Thank you for correcting me.

Edit: I think I remembered Buehrle pitching that game because he actually pitched the night before, giving up eight earned runs in four-and-one-third innings of work. As it turned out, the Bonds home run against Colon only tied the game. The killing blow came later that inning, after Rich Aurilia blasted a grand slam to give the Giants an 8-4 lead. Only then did Manuel use the bullpen. Why didn't he use Marte against Bonds when it was obvious Colon was slipping? Good grief, was he awful.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah, that was Colon. Didn't need to look it up as I was there with a friend whose NL team is the Giants. We were discussing leaving Bartolo in to face Bonds for the fourth time when . . . boom.

LOL at waking Manual up. Ah, the memories.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
LOL at waking Manual up. Ah, the memories.
My favorite Manuel moments- if they can be called that- involved him sleeping through a controversial call, such as Jon Garland being tossed by Bruce Froemming after hitting Eye Chart with a fastball. Apparently, Froemming had warned both teams prior to the start of the game, but told no one else of the warning. Hawk was furious, and started screaming, "That was BS! How can someone like that have so much power? That's too much power!"

Manuel's naps usually provoked outrage on this board, and Garland's ejection was no exception. People were already upset about earlier beanings of both Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez that weren't met with any sort of retaliation, and Froemming's decision to toss Garland for standing up his teammates- a decision that was not questioned by Manuel- was more than enough for people to start screaming for Manuel's head.

What did Manuel do? It's almost as if he saw the reaction of the board, because he was ejected in the bottom of the first inning of the following afternoon's game, following a questionable but not awful call at first base that was determined via television replay to be correct.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
It could be worse - he could still be playing in this place:

So two thoughts...

1.) I get that the Marlins attendance is terrible, but perhaps a picture that is clearly taken before the game has even started is not the best evidence of that.

2.) Perhaps we should wait until the White Sox have a better average attendance than the Marlins do before we insult their fans.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
So two thoughts...

1.) I get that the Marlins attendance is terrible, but perhaps a picture that is clearly taken before the game has even started is not the best evidence of that.

2.) Perhaps we should wait until the White Sox have a better average attendance than the Marlins do before we insult their fans.
I'm not insulting Marlins fans as much as I am their ownership (Loria, in particular) for the horrendous management of the franchise, and Bud Selig's apparent complicity in said management.

"Yes, baseball is our sport."
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
So two thoughts...

Well perhaps it's better to wait then until the Sox actually play some home games where the temperature is above say 50? I don't blame the fans one bit for not showing up in that garbage...this is baseball...not the Bears in November.

Lip
Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
The Marlins are boosting their attendance through the usual phantom means in the MLB that allow the Red Sox or Phillies to have meaningless sell out streaks that everyone knows aren't real. In terms of butts in seats, they're easily dead last in the league.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Well perhaps it's better to wait then until the Sox actually play some home games where the temperature is above say 50? I don't blame the fans one bit for not showing up in that garbage...this is baseball...not the Bears in November.

Lip
Uh, game time temperatures on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday were all north of 50 (57, 57, and 52 respectively). Not to mention, 50 degrees in April feels the same as 50 degrees in November. Let's not project your softness on the rest of us.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Uh, game time temperatures on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday were all north of 50 (57, 57, and 52 respectively). Not to mention, 50 degrees in April feels the same as 50 degrees in November. Let's not project your softness on the rest of us.
I was at the game on Sunday and froze my ass off. Guess I'm not as tough as you.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
I was at the game on Sunday and froze my ass off. Guess I'm not as tough as you.
Should have moved with the sun, brah. It was toasty.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Should have moved with the sun, brah. It was toasty.
Too many kids in tow. Hard for all of us to migrate with the sun like you young 'uns.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Lip
Yeah, because the crowds have been *so* huge during the warm months over the past decade.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM
WSI Guru

Considering they have had four of the largest seasonal attendance totals in franchise history in the past 10 years (each over 2.5 million) I'd say they have had big crowds during the warm weather months.

Winning also helps a tad.

Lip