White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is the Worst Big Name or Free Agent Signing in White Sox History?
Adam Dunn- .184/.311/.695 over 2+ seasons 58 32.77%
Steve Sax- .236/.289/.603, ended up in LF 4 2.26%
Cory Snyder- .188/.228/.527- completely lost w/WSox 5 2.82%
Jaime Navarro- 25-43, 6.06 ERA, 1.69 WHIP 100 56.50%
Ron Bloomberg- .231-5-22, 3 years, $600K guaranteed 4 2.26%
Other? 6 3.39%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 AM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Adam Dunn is not only the worse all around player .
I'll take Dunn over Rob Mackowiak

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:49 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
I'll take Dunn over Rob Mackowiak
Not this again. Rob was a decent player and versatile hitter. He just wasn't a great CF. Unfortunately, that's where Ozzie played him.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:33 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I voted for Sax, not because he was the worst player or had the worst impact on the team of the choices, but because I was so excited when they got him. My 16 year old self thought that he and Raines being acquired in the same offseason after the team was finally good after years of awfulness meant that they would be destined to go all the way. He was my first experience in major White Sox acquisition disappointment.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

I voted Navarro primarily because he was such an asshat with the fans/media, etc.

As bad as Dunn has been, he seems like a guy you could sit down and enjoy a beer with.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Can we finally put to bed the myth that Kenny Williams was some supposed genius?
Seems I can recall one year he did pretty good...

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I voted Navarro primarily because he was such an asshat with the fans/media, etc.

As bad as Dunn has been, he seems like a guy you could sit down and enjoy a beer with.
This sums it up well. Dunn at least was apologetic for sucking in 2011. Navarro was completely blameless (at least in his mind) for the train wreck he caused.

Dunn tried and failed hard in 2011. Navarro I'm not sure even tried when he was here and unhesitatingly threw the rest of the team under the bus after causing his disaster.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Not this again. Rob was a decent player and versatile hitter. He just wasn't a great CF. Unfortunately, that's where Ozzie played him.
I always thought of Rob as a utility guy to plug a hole somewhere for a game. I never thought to see him playing as much as he did in CF, and I think that's why you didn't see him play it in 2007. He did play five positions in his time here and had the best averages of his career here.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...d.php?t=128279

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Can we finally put to bed the myth that Kenny Williams was some supposed genius?
Yes. He handed off the GM position with this organization in horrible shape - a worst-in-the-league minor league system and a major league roster full of bloated contracts.

:
Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney for Nick Swisher....and then Nick Swisher for Marquez and Nunez. BOOYAH!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Month by Month batting average in the Adam Dunn era (after he hit .227 in Aug/Sept in 2010) 15 consecutive months of hitting < .232, 8 < .199.

2011:

April- .160
May- .204
June- .136
July- .145
August- .155
Sept- .128

2012:

April- .231
May- .230
June- .181
July- .211
August- .176
Sept- .200

2013:

April- .136
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 04-15-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Bloomberg. I had completey forgotten he had ever played for the Sox until I read about it in Sox histroy.
And now he's the Mayor of the Big Apple!!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I know Dunn's been bad, and he did have that historically bad season, but his numbers weren't atrocious last year. ...

Yes, they were. If another player with a midrange salary and minimal defensive skills playing for a contending team, which the White Sox very much were, was putting up the sort of numbers (say, a younger player or a Jason Giambi-type who had been picked up after being released by another team or traded for a player to be named later), he wouldn't have remained in the lineup on an everyday basis.

He hit home runs, which was what people noticed because he hadn't done that before, but he set a new American League record for strikeouts. He led the league in walks, but I read where he was called out on strikes as many times as he walked, although I find that hard to believe.
The White Sox did fairly well with runners in scoring position last year, if you only look at the numbers relative to the rest of the league. The American League averaged .255. But Dunn, with the most RISP at bats of any White Sox hitter had the lowest RISP batting average, .212, of anyone with more than a few RISP at bats. He was supposed to produce runs, he came up with more runners in scoring position than anyone on the team and led the team in RBIs, but he was the worst regular in the lineup at driving in runners in scoring position. Miguel Cabrera led the league in RBIs, not just because he led the league in home runs, but because he hit .356 with runners in scoring position.

On-base percentage is meaningless if you only hit .204, unless your job is to get on base. If your job is to drive in runs -- and the batting order was designed to maximum the number of times Dunn came up with runners in scoring position -- an atrociously low batting average is failure.
You are better off watching the game and find stats that support what you saw than finding stats that contradict what you saw. I saw Dunn having a terrible season last year after having a worse season the previous year and continuing to be an offensive black hole this year. The numbers don't exist in isolation. They tell you what players did while the team as a whole won or lost. It isn't a matter of plugging numbers into a lineup and coming up with runs and plugging numbers into the starting rotation and coming up with runs and comeing up with win based on the difference. You may be able to find numbers that support arguments over who is better than who, but you are taking them out of the context of the game.

Even last week against the Nationals, Dunn had an RBI with a double in his fourth at bat to make the game closer as the Sox were trailing late. A successful at bat, certainly, but in the previous three at bats, Dunn came up with runners in scoring position with the game tied and a chance to give the White Sox the lead. He failed each time. He went close to what usually falls as the league average for runners in scoring position, but had he doubled in one of his first three at bats, the game would have been very different.

That was just one game, of course. I am pulling for Dunn to do better. i would live to see him hit .260 and cut his strikeouts in half. I have to cheer for him because my team has committed to him at such a high price. I have never believed he was a good hitter as long as I've watched him play, but I have to hope he works on becoming one. If he doesn't do appreciably more than he has done these first two years-plus to help the team win, considering the money committed to him that can't be used elsewhere, considering the black hole he creates in a key spot in the lineup, there is no question Dunn will be known as the standard for bad White Sox free agent signings.

I just looked a the poll optins. Steve Sax came in a trade with the Yankees for three pitchers.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM
WSI Personality

You are better off watching the games and then searching for stats to support what you saw? Seriously?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
And now he's the Mayor of the Big Apple!!

All hail The Rick
Old 04-15-2013, 05:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Well I was close LOL, havent tealed in a while!! You issuing citation?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
Well I was close LOL, havent tealed in a while!! You issuing citation?
I can't. My eyes are still bleeding....