White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 03:49 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Where exactly is the $500M coming from? The article says it won't be taxpayer-funded and that Ricketts will "seek to open new revenue streams outside the stadium".
I'm pretty sure they're talking about the new hotel, Triangle Building, and parking deck they're going to be allowed to build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The thing is though the last I read Ricketts was up to his neck in debt already because of overpaying for the franchise...Zell / Tribune took him to the cleaners.

Lip
Considering Guggenheim bought the Dodgers for more than twice what Ricketts paid for the Cubs, I'm not sure people still consider it that bad of a deal.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

They need to make a deal with the rooftop owners where the Cubs lease space and install lights so that Wrigley's outfield isn't the laughing stock of MLB. I'm sure the rental agreement for those light stands could equal what they are making now. That way, it doesn't matter what size scoreboard the Cubs install.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Wrigleyville Ballmall?

For years I've heard from Cubbie/Wrigley fans about how Wrigley was a pure baseball experience, with...

* Day baseball
* No advertisements
* No jumbo-tron

So now that the Cubbies are moving to less and less day baseball, more and more advertisements and a jumbo-tron staring down on the field, how exactly is the "Wrigley experience" unique? Won't Wrigley be just another "ballmall" that their fans sneered at all these years?

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 04-16-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

They are going to destroy what makes Wrigley Field special, and will suffer because of it.
They didn't overpay for the Cubs, they just didn't have the liquidity to do the deal.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
For years I've heard from Cubbie/Wrigley fans about how Wrigley was a pure baseball experience, with...

* Day baseball
* No advertisements
* No jumbo-tron

So now that the Cubbies are moving to less and less day baseball, more and more advertisements and a jumbo-tron staring down on the field, how exactly is the "Wrigley experience" unique? Won't Wrigley be just another "ballmall" that their fans sneered at all these years?
They did it at Fenway. I don't know if the Red Sox fans have complained, though. Their ilk make me ill.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
They did it at Fenway. I don't know if the Red Sox fans have complained, though. Their ilk make me ill.
The Fenway renovations coincided with numerous playoff berths and 2 WS titles. I'm sure the Cubs fans won't mind if they are winning. If they are losing 100 games a year...
Old 04-17-2013, 12:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
While it's true that Fenway was remodeled I don't know if Fenway fans boasted for ages about the things Cubbie fans have - day baseball, no advertising, no jumbotron. Cubbie fans have acted for ages as though they were the keepers of pure baseball, heck they've said that. Their egotistical self-righteousness was sickening.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
While it's true that Fenway was remodeled I don't know if Fenway fans boasted for ages about the things Cubbie fans have - day baseball, no advertising, no jumbotron. Cubbie fans have acted for ages as though they were the keepers of pure baseball, heck they've said that. Their egotistical self-righteousness was sickening.
Ha - true! They still will after lights, night games, the historic Bud Light bleachers, jumbotrons up the ying-yang, and fancy hotels connected to the stadium.

After all, that was the original intent of the Founding Fathers of Baseball!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Ha - true! They still will after lights, night games, the historic Bud Light bleachers, jumbotrons up the ying-yang, and fancy hotels connected to the stadium.

After all, that was the original intent of the Founding Fathers of Baseball!
I bet Less Grobstein won't be calling The Cell a "ballmall" any longer and you can be sure he and other Cubbie fans won't be calling Wrigley a "ballmall."
Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I've got it! They need:

Artificial ivy!!!

Think of the possibilities - ivy made out of FieldTurf, which will gently cushion any outfielders who run into it while trying to snag a cheap Whizzo home run ball before it lands in the basket. And it'll already be vibrant and green in April! AND it won't die if suspected fans of the other team pour weedkiller on it...

Get me Rickets on the phone!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

As usual, The Onion nails it.

Wrigley Field Renovation Proposal Includes Tearing Down Clubhouse, Bleachers, Upper Deck, Lower Deck, Building New Stadium 10 Miles North