White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Just like everything this year: totally predictable.

Sox facing an unorthodox soft tosser? They never stood a chance.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for Tank but that kinda injury can ruin a whole season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
Yet another junkball soft-tossing lefty handcuffs the Sox "hitters". Shocking.

SMO
Let's be real, this isn't your average crafty Bruce Chen type. Dickey didn't pull 20 wins and 230 strikeouts out of his ass last year. When a knuckleballer, especially as good of one as Dickey, has it going for him, I wouldn't be surprised if he could shut down the '27 Yankees.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Sale deserved better
Sale fell asleep in the first and let Rajai Davis steal two bases, and he came around to score.

In the 5th, he hit Bonafacio and then threw the ball away when he had him picked off, resulting later in another run (no way Dunn throws him out at the plate even if he fields that ball).

Unfortunately with this Sox offense, you can't make any mistakes.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 PM
WSI Guru

This is what has driven me crazy since this started to become an issue in 2001. Typical Sox performance...score seven runs one night, look good hitting the ball...24 hours later, they look totally impotent. Measly four hits. Make two more errors to boot and lose.

They just can't seem to find any consistency. Guess that comes with the territory when it's basically 'home run or nothing...'

4-5-6 hitters in the lineup now batting .241, .105, .229

Dunn looks even worse right now than he did in 2011 if that's possible.

Eight more strikeouts...only one walk.

Maybe they'll hit better at home, guess we should be grateful they got three wins on the road trip...could have been worse I guess.

Regarding Dayan, if he's out for any period of time (third Sox player to possibly go on the DL and this season is less than a month old...) that means his "replacements" in the lineup are either Wise or Jordan Danks. Nice having a quality bench isn't it?

Lip
Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 PM
WSI Guru

Don't know if this was mentioned during the broadcasts or the road trip but Hahn was with the club for the entire 10 games getting a first hand look at what he has.

I think that's actually good since Kenny especially in the last few years didn't go on the road much.

Having Hahn around enables him to talk directly with his on field staff as well as talk directly with scouts. (And there were a bunch watching the Sox already on this trip - especially Floyd - although I can't understand why anybody would want him. Maybe the scouts are being sent by other teams who already have an idea the Sox could be big sellers by mid June...)

Lip
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 PM
WSI Guru

"You don't care what the weather is like. You just want to go home. It has been a long, rough trip." -- Robin Ventura.

Dunn went 1-33 on the 10 game road trip. 1-33! http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2609620.story

Dayan says he's feeling better and doesn't think he'll go on the DL. We'll see.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 04-18-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Sale deserved better
I thought the Sox needed more from him tonight. The two-run inning was killer, and he set it up with two mistakes that didn't involved giving up a hit. Hold the Blue Jays to the run in the first, and the Sox woul have had a good chance in the game.

I hate knuckleballers. They can mess up your timing, sometimes after the game. Back in the day when Forster and Gossage were coming in to relieve Wilbur Wood, they could be even more dominant. At the same time, since Wood took a Ron LeFlore line drive off of his knee, I hated seeing knuckleballers pitch for the Sox because they might come out with nothing. And in close games, it only takes one pitch not knuckling to ruin the game. Mistakes tonight failed to keep the game close enough.

I was a bit surprised with the Blue Jays running game tonight. They seemed much more aggressive with Sale pitching than they were earlier in the week, although the opportunities weren't there with Quintana pitching. I expected the Sox to do some running tonight, but they really didn't have a chance. Nice to see a two-out, two-strike RBI double out of Flowers, though.

I also have to wonder why Dunn is playing so much first. Tonight it isn't such a trivial question. It has crossed my mind that the White Sox are might be showcasing him for a trade, there being few teams that would be in the market for a DH. If that's the case, though, it isn't helping anyone.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I thought the Sox needed more from him tonight. The two-run inning was killer, and he set it up with two mistakes that didn't involved giving up a hit. Hold the Blue Jays to the run in the first, and the Sox woul have had a good chance in the game.

I hate knuckleballers. They can mess up your timing, sometimes after the game. Back in the day when Forster and Gossage were coming in to relieve Wilbur Wood, they could be even more dominant. At the same time, since Wood took a Ron LeFlore line drive off of his knee, I hated seeing knuckleballers pitch for the Sox because they might come out with nothing. And in close games, it only takes one pitch not knuckling to ruin the game. Mistakes tonight failed to keep the game close enough.

I was a bit surprised with the Blue Jays running game tonight. They seemed much more aggressive with Sale pitching than they were earlier in the week, although the opportunities weren't there with Quintana pitching. I expected the Sox to do some running tonight, but they really didn't have a chance. Nice to see a two-out, two-strike RBI double out of Flowers, though.

I also have to wonder why Dunn is playing so much first. Tonight it isn't such a trivial question. It has crossed my mind that the White Sox are might be showcasing him for a trade, there being few teams that would be in the market for a DH. If that's the case, though, it isn't helping anyone.
Was wondering this myself...is something wrong with Paulie? He looks like he grimaces every time he is "running" the bases.

After a road trip like that it is hard not to expect something similar to 2007 out of this season. Despite playing teams close on the road trip we still somehow managed to look like we don't belong in the majors.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Ventura wanted to keep Paulie from playing on turf

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
Ventura wanted to keep Paulie from playing on turf
Already in April trying to save Paulie's legs?

And watch them extend him next offseason to 3 yeas $40 million.

Will be so Sox to do it.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

35 year old Dewayne Wise leading off. Fire Robin, fire Hahn, and fire Brooks while we are at it.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Really hope Danks starts and not Wise for however long Viciedo is out fo

Sox attendence record
5-3 (from St. Louis)

Next game: TBD
Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHurt3515 View Post
Really hope Danks starts and not Wise for however long Viciedo is out fo
What difference does it make? Danks and Wise are both nothing more than spare parts. Neither is capable of playing every day at this level.

A few other things from tonight:

1. Farmer mentioned that Konerko is nursing a bad back. That's why Dunn has been getting all the starts at 1B. Paulie hit .324 with three HRs on the trip. He was one of the few bright spots. Anything and everything to keep Konerko healthy. He can still hit. And there aren't many on this roster who can.

2. I wish people would lay off Keppinger. I'm sure he'll hear boos on the upcoming homestand, but people have to understand 16 games does not a season make. There's a lot of games left, and I suspect he'll get back to his career norms. I'm sure I'll also be flamed for that statement, as board decorum demands that we be cynical, hateful and angry at all times.

3. I don't have any problem with people who bash Dunn at this point. It's too pathetic for words right now. There's decline, and then there's falling off a cliff. His performance is inexcusable.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 AM
WSI Prelate

JB, I'm trying to be patient with Keppinger. It's damn frustrating to sign a guy who previously rarely struck out and usually put the ball in play, who then upon donning the silver and black, makes Brian Anderson look like Ted Williams.

What he did in Tampa is exactly what the Sox needed, and we're not getting it from him. I remain hopeful that things will change any game now.

I really hope his high batting average wasn't a function of the fast turf in Tampa.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.

Last edited by Frater Perdurabo; 04-19-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
2. I wish people would lay off Keppinger. I'm sure he'll hear boos on the upcoming homestand, but people have to understand 16 games does not a season make. There's a lot of games left, and I suspect he'll get back to his career norms. I'm sure I'll also be flamed for that statement, as board decorum demands that we be cynical, hateful and angry at all times.
I bashed him sort of, hope that you are right about him, and won't do anything but maybe disagree with you from time to time.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
Yet another junkball soft-tossing lefty handcuffs the Sox "hitters". Shocking.

SMO
He's also the reigning NY Cy Young Award winner, so I can cut them some slack

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay