White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 AM
WSI Prelate

I was a huge Dunn supporter, but this is just sick. If I was attending a game on this homestand, there would at least be no applause from me.

1 for 33?! I think I might actually be able to hit 1 for 33. Maybe.

Looking forward to the 0-2, 10.47 ERA Vance Worley handcuffing the Sox tonight.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I was a huge Dunn supporter, but this is just sick. If I was attending a game on this homestand, there would at least be no applause from me.

I would bet anyone a drink that I could hit 1 for 33 over the course of 34 ABs in MLB games. It really is time to consider benching him, or at the very least platooning him and batting him 8th. Even if this is not a contending team, there is no need to give anyone the impression that the Sox will put up with this.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:

We'll that's assuming they play tonight. It's about 38 degrees right now according to the weather site plus flurries. Only going to get worse this evening. PERFECT BASEBALL WEATHER!

Lip
Old 04-19-2013, 12:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
JB, I'm trying to be patient with Keppinger. It's damn frustrating to sign a guy who previously rarely struck out and usually put the ball in play, who then upon donning the silver and black, makes Brian Anderson look like Ted Williams.

What he did in Tampa is exactly what the Sox needed, and we're not getting it from him. I remain hopeful that things will change any game now.

I really hope his high batting average wasn't a function of the fast turf in Tampa.
The turf in Toronto didn't seem to help him this week. I think he's in a slump, nothing more, nothing less.

I would not expect another season of .325 from him regardless. I think it is fair to expect him to bat .280 and put the ball in play more consistently than he has in the early going.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
The turf in Toronto didn't seem to help him this week. I think he's in a slump, nothing more, nothing less.

I would not expect another season of .325 from him regardless. I think it is fair to expect him to bat .280 and put the ball in play more consistently than he has in the early going.
Keppinger also has to lead the team in "at 'em balls" this year. He has had some bad luck with the line drives right at people.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-19-2013, 02:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
We'll that's assuming they play tonight. It's about 38 degrees right now according to the weather site plus flurries. Only going to get worse this evening. PERFECT BASEBALL WEATHER!

Lip
You have 2 major league teams in Chicago. You pretty much have a homestand in progress in Chicago throughout the baseball season. Except for off days, there is generally a game. The exceptions are few. The White Sox in particular do not want to play when the Cubs are playing eight miles away although the Cubs in recent years haven't seemed to care.

If you're a Chicago baseball team, you're going to have home games in terrible weather. It's part of our heritage as Chicago baseball fans. I know I'm proud to have attended a tie game in the 1970s that was called because of snow in the 10th.

But I don't know what you expect baseball to do about it. The fact is, most of baseball would solve the problem by removing the White Sox from the Chicago equation.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:31 PM
WSI Guru

TDog:

I'll make an exception and actually address your comment.

Baseball can do what they did in the late 80's / early 90's. Play as many games as possible in warm weather / dome sites for the first few weeks of the season. That doesn't mean for example the Sox won't play some April games...they just won't play 16 of them....maybe six. Same for teams like the Tigers, Yankees, Mets, Cubs, Phillies etc.

The teams that would host as much as possible the first two / three weeks would be:

Toronto (roof), Tampa Bay (roof), Seattle (roof), Texas, Angels, Houston (roof), Atlanta, Miami, Arizona (roof), Dodgers and San Diego.

You could also consider playing a few more home games in San Francisco, Cincinnati, Washington, St. Louis and Baltimore.

If the Angels, Astros, Marlins et al complain, "Proud to be Your Bud" can simply tell them, 'this is in the best interests of baseball. It's better for the fans who have to try to sit through 40 degree weather and it's better for the players. Less chance of injury and you'll get a better brand of baseball...'

No guarantees that even in those cities you might not run into some bad conditions, but the odds are even if that happens it won't be as long or as severe as in the Northern / Upper Midwest.

If they STILL complain Buddy-boy can tell them, "here's a check for X millions of dollars to help make up for your 'suffering..."

I tend to think that would alleviate their probelms with this.

It's not written in the Ten Commandments by the way, that MLB HAS to open in early April, for years they didn't open until the middle of the month. The owners certainly have the option to schedule double headers or day/night double headers if they choose to do so and start a few weeks later.

They can also (GOD FORBID!) decide to shorten the season back to 154 games if they wish and actually start the extended post season earlier too.

My point is there are viable options that baseball can take to help the folks who actually make this engine go, the fans, and help the players perform better.

Hard to hit a beach ball let alone a 95 mile an hour fastball when you can't feel your hands. I've tried and I suspect you have as well.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 04-19-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

:
I guarantee this won't happen to the Sox tonight. Happy?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
Adam Dunn needs to hit in the bottom three.
In Charlotte..!!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
TDog:

I'll make an exception and actually address your comment.

Baseball can do what they did in the late 80's / early 90's. Play as many games as possible in warm weather / dome sites for the first few weeks of the season. That doesn't mean for example the Sox won't play some April games...they just won't play 16 of them....maybe six. Same for teams like the Tigers, Yankees, Mets, Cubs, Phillies etc.

The teams that would host as much as possible the first two / three weeks would be:

Toronto (roof), Tampa Bay (roof), Seattle (roof), Texas, Angels, Houston (roof), Atlanta, Miami, Arizona (roof), Dodgers and San Diego.

You could also consider playing a few more home games in San Francisco, Cincinnati, Washington, St. Louis and Baltimore.

If the Angels, Astros, Marlins et al complain, "Proud to be Your Bud" can simply tell them, 'this is in the best interests of baseball. It's better for the fans who have to try to sit through 40 degree weather and it's better for the players. Less chance of injury and you'll get a better brand of baseball...'

No guarantees that even in those cities you might not run into some bad conditions, but the odds are even if that happens it won't be as long or as severe as in the Northern / Upper Midwest.

If they STILL complain Buddy-boy can tell them, "here's a check for X millions of dollars to help make up for your 'suffering..."

I tend to think that would alleviate their probelms with this.

It's not written in the Ten Commandments by the way, that MLB HAS to open in early April, for years they didn't open until the middle of the month. The owners certainly have the option to schedule double headers or day/night double headers if they choose to do so and start a few weeks later.

They can also (GOD FORBID!) decide to shorten the season back to 154 games if they wish and actually start the extended post season earlier too.

My point is there are viable options that baseball can take to help the folks who actually make this engine go, the fans, and help the players perform better.

Hard to hit a beach ball let alone a 95 mile an hour fastball when you can't feel your hands. I've tried and I suspect you have as well.

Lip
Imagine how the Rangers felt playing some and being postponed some in Chicago this week.

Chicago is a two-team city. Somebody is going to have to play or at least be scheduled to play in cold weather. It's the same as it's always been. In 1970, I sat through a scheduled double-header on April 12, the first Sunday of the season, and it was quite cold. (As I recall, the Cubs were in Montreal that weekend and Apollo 13 was up in space.) I've read that even the first day the American League played games in 1901, the season didn't start until April 25, and Chicago was the only city in the league where it was dry enough and warm enough to play games.

For that matter, I attended quite a few May White Sox games in my youth when a winter coat failed to keep me sufficiently warm. It is true that a Chicago columnist wrote after the 1975 season that it was inevitable the Sox would leave Chicago before the 1976 season for reasons that included the need to schedule so many April baseball games in Chicago. It isn't true that the White-Sox-hating-conspiring-schedule-makers screwing the White Sox. The issue is their geography.

But you should probably send your unrealistic ideas to the commisioner's office and complain that Bud Selig is an idiot when you get nothing but a form letter in return.

If you're watching the game in your living room hundreds of miles away, it shouldn't be such as big deal.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Imagine how the Rangers felt playing some and being postponed some in Chicago this week.

Chicago is a two-team city. Somebody is going to have to play or at least be scheduled to play in cold weather. It's the same as it's always been. In 1970, I sat through a scheduled double-header on April 12, the first Sunday of the season, and it was quite cold. (As I recall, the Cubs were in Montreal that weekend and Apollo 13 was up in space.) I've read that even the first day the American League played games in 1901, the season didn't start until April 25, and Chicago was the only city in the league where it was dry enough and warm enough to play games.

For that matter, I attended quite a few May White Sox games in my youth when a winter coat failed to keep me sufficiently warm. It is true that a Chicago columnist wrote after the 1975 season that it was inevitable the Sox would leave Chicago before the 1976 season for reasons that included the need to schedule so many April baseball games in Chicago. It isn't true that the White-Sox-hating-conspiring-schedule-makers screwing the White Sox. The issue is their geography.

But you should probably send your unrealistic ideas to the commisioner's office and complain that Bud Selig is an idiot when you get nothing but a form letter in return.

If you're watching the game in your living room hundreds of miles away, it shouldn't be such as big deal.
One of the coldest baseball games I remember attending was on Memorial Day, 2002 or 2003, I want to say. At Wrigley. 1-0 game in 16 innings. Raw, cold windy day, I think the wind chills were in the 30s.

There is no getting around Chicago weather. Sometimes it's cold in April, sometimes it's even cool in May. Deal with it.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Baseball will never go back to scheduling more April home games in warmer weather cities. I seem to recall those teams complaining loudly about losing important home dates in the heat of a pennant race. That ship isn't going to sail again. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing the season start if not two weeks, then one week later and have doubleheaders scheduled. Shortening the season to 154 games and winding up the post season by the end of the third week in October would be great too. It won't happen.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Baseball will never go back to scheduling more April home games in warmer weather cities. I seem to recall those teams complaining loudly about losing important home dates in the heat of a pennant race. That ship isn't going to sail again. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing the season start if not two weeks, then one week later and have doubleheaders scheduled. Shortening the season to 154 games and winding up the post season by the end of the third week in October would be great too. It won't happen.
Year-round interleague play makes this easier to do, though.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Year-round interleague play makes this easier to do, though.
Really, it doesn't. The Cubs couldn't play the Rangers in Texas this week because they don't play the Rangers in Texas this year. Changing that would require cascading changes to other teams' schedules. Interleague play and unbalanced schedules, with teams playing more games against division opponents, makes scheduling more complicated. From the 1970s into the 1990s, the American League had a balanced schedule. That provided more scheduling flexibility (although the 1977 White Sox began the season by losing two of three outside in Toronto).

And having one Chicago team on the road and one at home at any given time, one Los Angeles-area team at home and one on the road at any given time etc. simply adds to the complication. The Dodgers were postponed tonight, but it wasn't because they were playing in Chicago while Detroit was in Anaheim. They were rained out in Baltimore.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

Yes and yes. Let's also be real, if the MLB adopted such a ridiculously stupid plan like only playing early season games in domes or warm climates, there would be certain posters on this board whining about the grand MLB conspiracy against the Sox for having to go head-to-head with the Cubs for ticket sales in the summer months. So it is what it is.

Of the 7 dates the Sox have had home games so far this year, I think that 4 of them, the Opening Day temperature was at least 50 degrees, if not 60, and it's been sunny for almost all of them. It's going to be near 60 degrees here tomorrow and 50+ for the rest of the week. Apparently some people just forget what life is like here when they move away, I guess?

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know