White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 PM
WSI Personality

Default Initial Announcing Impressions

So much was talked about the Hawk/Stone dynamic in the offseason. What are people's thoughts for this year so far?

Are they working better together? Anything changed?

My mlbtv connection doesn't always work with my internet plus I'm at work during the start of a lot of games so I catch most on the radio with Farmer and DJ. And I gotta say that I have really enjoyed them this year. They keep it interesting enough to make the games fly by and they have had some real good discussions. In the Toronto series they had a real nice discussion about the Ozzie/Marlins fiasco and were pretty candid.

Anyway back to my original question, how are Ken and Steve these days?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

They're trying to work together better this season. Some tension still exists and probably will increase with time. At this point in their careers, I don't expect Hawk and Stone to truly change.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:09 AM
WSI Prelate

I think they sound okay but expectations are low, Hawk still tends to stop talking when the White Sox are down or have blown a game and that puts the onus on Stone who Hawk will then interrupt.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Personally I think I can tell a difference. Seems to be a little more warmth between them (relatively speaking of course) and less tension. But it's a long season, we shall see if it holds up.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:58 AM
WSI Personality

Default Stone and the Hawk

I get the impression that Stone is trying very hard to get along with Hawk. I've noticed he keeps asking Hawk what he would of done in certain situations as a hitter. He never did that before. I would think Stone is smart enough to realize that this is the last year on his contract and if he doesn't get along with Hawk he won't be brought back with the White Sox next season. I have always found it interesting as to who gets along with who in life, but I would think Stone would have a easier time getting along with Hawk than what he did with an old past his prime Harry Caray. And with Stone being in his mid 60's I would think no other team would hire him because of his age. The teams are hiring younger people. This could turn out to be Stones last year as an announcer.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I get the impression that Stone is trying very hard to get along with Hawk. I've noticed he keeps asking Hawk what he would of done in certain situations as a hitter. He never did that before. I would think Stone is smart enough to realize that this is the last year on his contract and if he doesn't get along with Hawk he won't be brought back with the White Sox next season. I have always found it interesting as to who gets along with who in life, but I would think Stone would have a easier time getting along with Hawk than what he did with an old past his prime Harry Caray. And with Stone being in his mid 60's I would think no other team would hire him because of his age. The teams are hiring younger people. This could turn out to be Stones last year as an announcer.
That sounds like something this team would stupidly do. Keep Hawk over Stone.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Actually, he's signed through 2014 w/a club option for 2015.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 PM
WSI Personality

Good to hear they are at least trying to work together better. Hopefully it keeps up.

On a sidenote, Bert Blyleven sucks as an announcer. Hope I never have to listen to him call a game again. At least Hawk has some outrageous stories that are entertaining. This clown can't even offer that.