White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM
MMXXIII

Default Come on, White Sox...

OK, this is from Sunday's Tribune, and the graphic comes from an article discussing the pros and cons of adding a Jumbotron to Wrigley, but it's pretty shocking from a Sox fan's perspective:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...0-14165153.pdf

2nd smallest video board in the Majors, hasn't been upgraded in 10 years now.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Give us an HD video display that spans the gap between the two innermost light towers. I want the space station astronauts to see replays, and for Jerry Jones to be jealous.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
OK, this is from Sunday's Tribune, and the graphic comes from an article discussing the pros and cons of adding a Jumbotron to Wrigley, but it's pretty shocking from a Sox fan's perspective:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...0-14165153.pdf

2nd smallest video board in the Majors, hasn't been upgraded in 10 years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Give us an HD video display that spans the gap between the two innermost light towers. I want the space station astronauts to see replays, and for Jerry Jones to be jealous.

"You people are crazy if you think I'll spend the money for something like that! You don't even come to the games! Who the hell cares what kind of video board we have? So there!"
Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM
WSI Regular

Damn, when the Braves' scoreboard was erected, it was the largest HD display in the world. Now it's merely the 10th largest in MLB.

STILL undefeated at the Cell since '04.

bacon bacon bacon BACON!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

I replied to the Sox fan survey a few weeks ago and commented on the scoreboard. The video screen's size isn't as important to me as what's on the whole surface. It's a scoreboard, but there's no score on it.

I suppose the entire centerfield board could be covered with a video screen, since the technology exists now. The only limit is the cost, but isn't that what sponsors are for? In Bill Veeck's book, "Veeck As In Wreck," he told the story of the construction of the original monster board in 1960. It cost over $300,000 to build, but the cost was borne entirely by the sign company who recouped their money from ad revenue in a few years.

To me, the board should carry the line score, the ball/strike/out count, and basic stats (hitter's BA, pitcher's ERA, etc.). Everything beyond that is gravy. That leaves plenty of room for ads, replays, novelties, trivia, and whatever else they choose to display.

And this is the home of the White Sox -- the place where home-run celebrations began as over-the-top eruptions of goofiness. In the design of the 1960 board, Veeck was inspired by a pinball machine in Saroyan's play, "The Time of Your Life," that exploded in celebration of a jackpot score. Fireworks, of course, but also Roman candles spitting out the top, lights that chased and flashed in random patterns, smoke, sound effects (dive bombers, Hallelujah Chorus, etc.), strobes, and occasional surprises like "TILT!" signs. The USCF board has the fireworks and lovely chase lights, but it could use more personality and unpredictability.

A full-size video board could give them more options for that, in addition to the lights and the fireworks. And as a side benefit it could actually be a board that shows the score.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

I gotta believe that this is in the works (I noticed the rusting pinwheels were not touched up over the off season) but the days of having the stadium authority pay for it while the Sox get all the revenue is over. It's a dollars and cents issue that had to be swinging the Sox way if the cost of a new board is going down. I hope they use the opportunity rework the board back to the Veeck 60's design scoreboard framing.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 AM
WSI High Priest

I think the Sox scoreboards are terrible and it's a disgrace for a franchise that was once known for its ("exploding") scoreboard.

The center board is tiny by today's standards and doesn't have much relevant information about the game at hand. The left field scoreboard is the one that has most of the current game info, but its "white light" technology is laughably old and view of it is obstructed at many seats along the 3B line. The RF "out of town" scoreboard is the newest and has an odd mix of out of town info with current game info squeezed in there too. Overall it's a very crappy set up!

Another gripe I have is that the ribbon boards are solely for ads or cheesy animations. No game information at all. Other MLB parks are able to incorporate game info into their ribbon board, but not at the Cell.

Interesting how just about every other MLB team has been able to find a way to upgrade their scoreboard, but the Sox for some reason can't do it. I know, I know: "would you rather have money put into a good scoreboard or into fielding a competitive team?" Oh wait, we have neither.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM
WSI High Priest

The Sox don't own their park. They don't buy scoreboards. Didn't Brooks say there had to be certain upgrades from other teams before they could get an upgrade?

Take the complaints to the Stadium Authority.

The fact is, whenever they replace the scoreboard, in 5 years fans will be jealous of other teams' scoreboards.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:37 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I think the Sox scoreboards are terrible and it's a disgrace for a franchise that was once known for its ("exploding") scoreboard.

The center board is tiny by today's standards and doesn't have much relevant information about the game at hand. The left field scoreboard is the one that has most of the current game info, but its "white light" technology is laughably old and view of it is obstructed at many seats along the 3B line. The RF "out of town" scoreboard is the newest and has an odd mix of out of town info with current game info squeezed in there too. Overall it's a very crappy set up!

Another gripe I have is that the ribbon boards are solely for ads or cheesy animations. No game information at all. Other MLB parks are able to incorporate game info into their ribbon board, but not at the Cell.

More fuel to the fire that the current Sox ownership/marketing team lacks any imagination. More inane season "slogans', loud canned music, the Sox have gone for the easy routine route for years. This club is moribund and sinking fast.

Interesting how just about every other MLB team has been able to find a way to upgrade their scoreboard, but the Sox for some reason can't do it. I know, I know: "would you rather have money put into a good scoreboard or into fielding a competitive team?" Oh wait, we have neither.
More fuel to the fire that the current Sox ownership/marketing team lacks any imagination. More inane season "slogans', loud canned music, the Sox have gone for the easy routine route for years. This club is moribund and sinking fast.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
I gotta believe that this is in the works (I noticed the rusting pinwheels were not touched up over the off season) but the days of having the stadium authority pay for it while the Sox get all the revenue is over. It's a dollars and cents issue that had to be swinging the Sox way if the cost of a new board is going down. I hope they use the opportunity rework the board back to the Veeck 60's design scoreboard framing.
I think so too. I think it's possible that they are waiting a couple of years to use next generation screen technology that is currently being developed for TVs (2160p Ultra High Definition).

I hope so anyway. I'm surprised we are not the smallest in MLB. I assumed we were.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM
WSI Regular

When I saw the Wrigley renovation story in the Sun-Times this was the first thing I thought of, the Cubs will have a better scoreboard than the Sox.

The CF board is really sad and is basically used just to put up a photo of the batter these days. And I've noticed the rust on the pinwheels and several burnt out lightbulbs too. The RF board can be tough to see and I wish it was just used for out of town scores, no need to put both lineups on the sides, IMO.

And if it is a sports authority thing, nearly every team in MLB has a better board than the Sox.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

I wonder if they could put an HD board in each outfield section. From my vantage point in 163, the RF board may as well not exist due to the fan deck. I can see the LF board easily enough, but that can be upgraded. Looks like a gigantic, monochrome lite-brite.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 PM
WSI Regular

It's absolutely appalling that not one but BOTH of the upper deck scoreboards had panels that were not functioning on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend (not the ribbon board, the actual scoreboards in the corners). It was embarrassing and looked like something from a little league field. I could MAYBE understand that if the panel stopped working on Saturday there wasn't enough time to get it fixed before the game. For it not to be fixed for Sunday's game is inexcusable and really was a metaphor to me about how lazy this franchise is.

I get that it's a small detail compared to, say, the .108 hitting DH. But I'm a pretty big believer that organizations that don't pay attention to small details aren't very good about big details, either.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Banned

I'll pass on the scoreboard upgrade. In fact, let's sell the old one and see if we can get someone to bat cleanup.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
I get that it's a small detail compared to, say, the .108 hitting DH. But I'm a pretty big believer that organizations that don't pay attention to small details aren't very good about big details, either.
This is an even smaller detail, but I was surprised today on how many mistakes were up on the leftfield scoreboard.

Hicks came up in the 7th, and the board said he grounded out to first last time at-bat. I had one 1-3 on my card. I had Gamecast going on my phone to back me up that he grounded out to the pitcher.

Next batter up was Eduardo Escobar. I happened to look uo at the board again. I know I saw him fly out to left (I had F-7 on my card) in his first AB, and the Gamecast backed me up on that, but the board said he flew out to right.

I'm sure 99% of the people in the park could not care less and probably don't even look at the board, but the inconsistency and lack of quality control seems par for the course.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444