White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
This is an even smaller detail, but I was surprised today on how many mistakes were up on the leftfield scoreboard.

Hicks came up in the 7th, and the board said he grounded out to first last time at-bat. I had one 1-3 on my card. I had Gamecast going on my phone to back me up that he grounded out to the pitcher.

Next batter up was Eduardo Escobar. I happened to look uo at the board again. I know I saw him fly out to left (I had F-7 on my card) in his first AB, and the Gamecast backed me up on that, but the board said he flew out to right.

I'm sure 99% of the people in the park could not care less and probably don't even look at the board, but the inconsistency and lack of quality control seems par for the course.
Inconsistency and lack of quality seems to be the White Sox operational philosophy.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 PM
New At WSI

As much as I agree to an extent that repairs/renovations are neccesary, I can't help but ask myself...why are you all fans in the first place? If you want nice toys, go to Yankee Stadium and enjoy your $10 beer. Personally, I like watching baseball in the first row for 23 bucks and treating myself to some good grub, something the Sox do...(holy crap, you ready?) better than most ballparks. It's easy to be cynical...especially with a s****y team like this one but don't forget we still have urinals
Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsell93 View Post
As much as I agree to an extent that repairs/renovations are neccesary, I can't help but ask myself...why are you all fans in the first place? If you want nice toys, go to Yankee Stadium and enjoy your $10 beer. Personally, I like watching baseball in the first row for 23 bucks and treating myself to some good grub, something the Sox do...(holy crap, you ready?) better than most ballparks. It's easy to be cynical...especially with a s****y team like this one but don't forget we still have urinals
This is Chicago, not palookaville. If the Sox don't want to be viewed as the Second City's second baseball team, they should at least keep up with league standards on their video board, which is now a common feature in sports stadiums everywhere. We're not ahead of the curve because we have a video board anymore. We've got an old, outdated, undersized one, and it sucks. An update isn't a silly effort to show that we can match Yankee extravagance, it's just keeping up with modern, everyday technology.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
This is an even smaller detail, but I was surprised today on how many mistakes were up on the leftfield scoreboard.

Hicks came up in the 7th, and the board said he grounded out to first last time at-bat. I had one 1-3 on my card. I had Gamecast going on my phone to back me up that he grounded out to the pitcher.

Next batter up was Eduardo Escobar. I happened to look uo at the board again. I know I saw him fly out to left (I had F-7 on my card) in his first AB, and the Gamecast backed me up on that, but the board said he flew out to right.

I'm sure 99% of the people in the park could not care less and probably don't even look at the board, but the inconsistency and lack of quality control seems par for the course.
I noticed mistakes, or slow to make changes, at Saturday's game as well.

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
This is Chicago, not palookaville. If the Sox don't want to be viewed as the Second City's second baseball team, they should at least keep up with league standards on their video board, which is now a common feature in sports stadiums everywhere. We're not ahead of the curve because we have a video board anymore. We've got an old, outdated, undersized one, and it sucks. An update isn't a silly effort to show that we can match Yankee extravagance, it's just keeping up with modern, everyday technology.
Fair enough, you make some valid points. Nonetheless, I still think there are more important things to worry about right now like having a .500 team and somehow marketing a crappy product to thousands of fairly pissed off people. I think someone mentioned the old scoreboard not receiving any maintenance lately, perhaps an upgrade's already on the to-do list. Ask Brooks?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsell93 View Post
Fair enough, you make some valid points. Nonetheless, I still think there are more important things to worry about right now like having a .500 team and somehow marketing a crappy product to thousands of fairly pissed off people. I think someone mentioned the old scoreboard not receiving any maintenance lately, perhaps an upgrade's already on the to-do list. Ask Brooks?
I'm sure the Sox can do more than 1 thing at a time, it isn't an either/or proposition.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 AM
WSI Personality

I would love to see a huge center field board that takes up the whole panel, but whatever upgrades are chosen, the left field black and white board HAS GOT TO GO! I don't care of ads reclaim that space to make up for the lost ads on a center field board.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 AM
WSI Personality

Default Scoreboard

I've given a great deal of thought to all this so here goes: I firmly believe the White Sox are going to be looking to move to another stadium in around 10 years. (The lease expires in 2026) One of the problems that I see, is what would the State of Illinois do with the Cell if the White Sox move to another location in the Chicagoland area? That being the case, perhaps the State of Illinois will give the White Sox another sweetheart deal at the Cell and will offer upgrades to the Cell. One of the upgrades will be a bigger more modern scoreboard. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a retractible roof built over the Cell. I remember Hawk and Stone talking about putting a retractible roof over the Cell last season. The White Sox attendance has been hurt in the past and this season because of the cold weather in April. It's certainly no fun going to a game in April, May and September freezing you dupa off.

Last edited by Golden Sox; 04-22-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I've given a great deal of thought to all this so here goes: I firmly believe the White Sox are going to be looking to move to another stadium in around 10 years. (The lease expires in 2026) One of the problems that I see, is what would the State of Illinois do with the Cell if the White Sox move to another location in the Chicagoland area? That being the case, perhaps the State of Illinois will give the White Sox another sweetheart deal at the Cell and will offer upgrades to the Cell. One of the upgrades will be a bigger more modern scoreboard. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a retractible roof built over the Cell. I remember Hawk and Stone talking about putting a retractible roof over the Cell last season. The White Sox attendance has been hurt in the past and this season because of the cold weather in April. It certainly no fun going to a game in April, May and September freezing you dupa off.
I will be the first to admit I have absolutely no engineering knowledge whatsoever, but it just seems to me intuitively that it would be cheaper to just build a new stadium with a roof then try to retrofit an old outdoor stadium with a retractable roof. Has that ever been done anywhere?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I will be the first to admit I have absolutely no engineering knowledge whatsoever, but it just seems to me intuitively that it would be cheaper to just build a new stadium with a roof then try to retrofit an old outdoor stadium with a retractable roof. Has that ever been done anywhere?
Wimbledon's Centre Court comes to mind.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I've given a great deal of thought to all this so here goes: I firmly believe the White Sox are going to be looking to move to another stadium in around 10 years. (The lease expires in 2026) One of the problems that I see, is what would the State of Illinois do with the Cell if the White Sox move to another location in the Chicagoland area? That being the case, perhaps the State of Illinois will give the White Sox another sweetheart deal at the Cell and will offer upgrades to the Cell. One of the upgrades will be a bigger more modern scoreboard. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a retractible roof built over the Cell. I remember Hawk and Stone talking about putting a retractible roof over the Cell last season. The White Sox attendance has been hurt in the past and this season because of the cold weather in April. It certainly no fun going to a game in April, May and September freezing you dupa off.
I would love to see the Sox get a new park right by the lake, next to Soldier Field. I honestly don't know if there is even land available but I would love the concept of having the Sox in lakefront property.

I don't see it happening and think the Sox will be at USCF for a very LONG time. I could see them doing more renovations or building a new park where it currently stands.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman View Post
I would love to see a huge center field board that takes up the whole panel, but whatever upgrades are chosen, the left field black and white board HAS GOT TO GO! I don't care of ads reclaim that space to make up for the lost ads on a center field board.

I'm with you there.

But if I have to choose between the Sox spending on better players, fixing the farm system and figuring out how to market better vs. a bigger video board, I know which one I'd choose...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
I would love to see the Sox get a new park right by the lake, next to Soldier Field. I honestly don't know if there is even land available but I would love the concept of having the Sox in lakefront property.

I don't see it happening and think the Sox will be at USCF for a very LONG time. I could see them doing more renovations or building a new park where it currently stands.
I would love being at the game but that would absolutely suck for transportation. Either take the million mile march from the red line or sit in traffic all evening long. Ugh.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 AM
WSI Personality

Ever since Milwaukee redid theirs a couple years back, i have been longing for the white sox to do something similiar to the center field scoreboard.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
WSI High Priest

The Sox will likely be under new ownership by the time the current lease at the Cell expires. Regardless, I don't think there is any way in hell the Sox will get any more state money toward a new stadium. Once the current lease ends in 2027, I think the Sox can say goodbye to their current sweetheart lease deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I'm with you there.

But if I have to choose between the Sox spending on better players, fixing the farm system and figuring out how to market better vs. a bigger video board, I know which one I'd choose...
The problem is that the Sox are doing neither of these things. So, this either-or proposition doesn't exist IMO.

Even if the Sox were to offer to start making a serious investment in revamping the talent level in the organization, I just don't by the argument of "well, what do you want? Good players or a decent scoreboard? We can only have one of these things"

If the Sox are such a shoestring operation that an investment to upgrade the scoreboard would come if they sacrificed any effort to infuse more talent into this organization, then that's just pathetic.