White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Can we also agree that right now is not the time for Robin Ventura to be coaching. He should have started out in the minors, because he makes some weird decisions sometimes. Like the guy, and he has shown flashes of having potential. but now is not his time. Especially with the White Sox going through a transition.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
This team really misses Beckham defensively, too.
Noticed that. We were in fabulous seats and when Keppinger didn't even try for one to his right and later one to his left, we were looking at each other saying, Beckham would maybe have got that, right? Or at least made the effort? Sigh.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's not as big a deal as Dunn looking so mind-blowingly bad at hitting a baseball. And Keppinger got the job done at the plate. But in close games -- and there've been a bunch of those so far -- the defense looms large.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Can we also agree that right now is not the time for Robin Ventura to be coaching. He should have started out in the minors, because he makes some weird decisions sometimes. Like the guy, and he has shown flashes of having potential. but now is not his time. Especially with the White Sox going through a transition.
The guy damn near makes the playoffs in his first year of managing, and now is not the time? Okay, then.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
Noticed that. We were in fabulous seats and when Keppinger didn't even try for one to his right and later one to his left, we were looking at each other saying, Beckham would maybe have got that, right? Or at least made the effort? Sigh.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's not as big a deal as Dunn looking so mind-blowingly bad at hitting a baseball. And Keppinger got the job done at the plate. But in close games -- and there've been a bunch of those so far -- the defense looms large.

I posted during the road trip that the Sox might be missing Beckham moe than most fans might believe. Beckham, in addition to his solid defense, got off to a good start offensively. It looked like he changed the angle of his bat in his stance, and it seemed to be making a difference. Keppinger has always been a good hitter, but his defense doesn't compare to Beckham's. This April, Keppinger hasn't been hitting nearly as well as anyone expected. And Gillaspie seems to be in a bit of an offensive funk. Replacing Beckham with Keppinger at second hasn't helped offensively or defensively.

If Beckham has stayed healthy, I expect the White Sox would be in first place right now, considering that no one is running away with the Central.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
No.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
The guy damn near makes the playoffs in his first year of managing, and now is not the time? Okay, then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
No.
Ehh, first years with new coaches tend to go well. This year will be a greater indicator. I am not saying this is his fault, I just feel that I don't think this team will actually allow him to be as good of a manager as he might be. After all, we're not that good, and he might get canned because of that anyway.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Let it not go unnoticed that the Sox were the seventh best team in the league last year. Making the playoffs can be a sign of a middling team in a weak division just as much it can be the sign of a great team.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Ehh, first years with new coaches tend to go well. This year will be a greater indicator. I am not saying this is his fault, I just feel that I don't think this team will actually allow him to be as good of a manager as he might be. After all, we're not that good, and he might get canned because of that anyway.
What you seem to be saying is that Robin Ventura would have been a better manager if he had spent last season gaining experience in Charlotte rather than gaining experience in a major league divisional race.

I don't know how you reached your conclusion that first-year success somehow doesn't seems to maen anything because it is a given. There are plenty of examples of first-year managers in baseball who have failed miserably. Deep into my childhood, Johnny Keane managed the Yankees to a sixth-place finish after replacing Yogi Berra, who lost the World Series in 1964, the Yankees having gone to the World Series pretty much all the time in those days. And Don Gutteridge didn't make me expect so much from first-year managers. Thinking through my life watching baseball, it just keeps going on. Seattle, for example, both for the Pilots and the Mariners, was an aweful place for first-year managers.

Certainly Ozzie Guillen wasn't a great first-year manager. His first years in Chicago and Miami didn't gain any disciples.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM
WSI Personality

On the radio broadcast yesterday, Farmer and DJ said that an anonymous Twins source had told them that the Twins feel that if they are within a run or two against the White Sox they will win the game. They feel this way because they know the Sox will beat themselves.

Also they said the Twins weren't concerned about last year's record against the Sox because most of those games were blowouts..they think they just have to play them close.

What is irritating is that they are right.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
My biggest concern is not experience, it's that I don't really believe Robin wanted this. He was handed it, he's not hungry for it. I don't see a sense of urgency from him or his team. He let a healthy lead slip away and failed to make the playoffs last year, now his team looks DOA. I'm concerned and not that impressed.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

-Kenny Williams before start of 2005 season
Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Let it not go unnoticed that the Sox were the seventh best team in the league last year. Making the playoffs can be a sign of a middling team in a weak division just as much it can be the sign of a great team.
And let's also not pretend like you probably couldn't point to AT LEAST three games last September that Robin made a pretty, eh, shall we call it bizarre, managerial decision that could have cost the Sox? I'm not saying he was the sole problem with the crash and burn September the Sox had last year, but it's not like his moves weren't backfiring, either.

Guy was great from April to August. He went into a funk with everyone else.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
On the radio broadcast yesterday, Farmer and DJ said that an anonymous Twins source had told them that the Twins feel that if they are within a run or two against the White Sox they will win the game. They feel this way because they know the Sox will beat themselves.

Also they said the Twins weren't concerned about last year's record against the Sox because most of those games were blowouts..they think they just have to play them close.

What is irritating is that they are right.
That wasn't true in the first homestand or up through the first game in Washington. The belief may come from the fact that might come from last season when the Whtie Sox were among the league leaders in blown saves, many coming in the seventh and eighth. The inexperienced bullpen was close to the top in failing to hold leads, by numbers, but probably not percentage.

I don't think the dynamics of the bullpen are the same this year, although that didn't show up on Saturday or Sunday when relievers couldn't throw strikes.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Out of the 14 wins last year vs the Twins, five of them were either one or two runs. In the last ten games in 2011, the Sox went 8-2 against the Twins. Four of those wins were one or two run games.

The current Sox team can't hit for ****. It doesn't matter who they play right now. The Twins can think what they want.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 PM
WSI Personality

Let's not forget we're dead last in the majors in taking walks, by a fair margin. We've taken 31 in 18 games. The next fewest is 38 shared by the Royals and Cubs (both of whom have played 1 fewer game than us). 10 teams have over twice as many walks as we.

Viciedo has 0 walks (16 Ks). Keppinger (what a disappointment!) has 0 walks (9 Ks). Dunn's stated intention to take fewer walks and increase his aggressiveness at the plate has yet to bear fruit, to say the least.

Let's face it, we've got a team of hackers, and the opposition knows it and is taking advantage.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburaga View Post
Let's face it, we've got a team of hackers.
At least even though they're bad at baseball they can look forward to their future careers as IT technicians.